PDA

View Full Version : 30 caliber tracer ignition? WC846T?

Shotptrdj
02-19-2009, 10:39 AM
I was wondering if there is anything that would be a good modern equivalent for WC846T for 30 caliber tracer projectiles to help insure tracer ignition? I would buy the WC846T, but the only steady source online that I have known of (patsreloading.com) says they are no longer taking new orders for 846T last I checked. I had heard that many of the original military 30-06 tracers were loaded with WC852, but wanted to get some opinions on what would be good for helping to insure tracer ignition on these.

Thanks!

wonderwolf
02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Somewhere I remember somebody talking about scratching the base of the projectile to expose the compound. I'm not sure on this nor have I tried it but I do plan on picking up some tracers from Pats sometime this year. Might give it a go then.

Shotptrdj
02-20-2009, 10:52 AM
The metal disc is supposed to keep the tracer compound from mixing with the powder, (I have no idea what the consequence of that would be chemically?) and the heat from the powder igniting upon firing is supposed to be hot enough to heat the disc so that the hot disc ignites the tracer compound via heat transfer. Scratching the disc to expose the tracer compound would probably work well, but then I wouldn't be shooting all 250 bullets that I have to load anytime soon after loading them, and I don't know how long I could store them like that if there'd be any chemical interaction consequence? I guess I just need a hot .30 cal powder like WC846T that is more commercially available.

wmitty
02-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Unique and Blue Dot both work if you want to slow things down. The new sport in Texas is shooting at the black headed Mexican buzzards with tracer.

ETG
03-23-2009, 02:44 PM
On 30 and 50 cal tracers I have been puncturing the copper disk with a pin for years with no ill effects. It substantially increasess the percentage of lights. Had a bunch of 223 with what looked like cardboard disk and couldn't get those to light for anything.

rockrat
03-23-2009, 05:48 PM
I have been using plain old surplus 4895