PDA

View Full Version : I need a better search string

ironhat
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi folks, just getting into the 'art' of the boolit having bought an old but serviceable Lyman 450. I'm sold on getting rid of the black crap that is all over this press and have been looking into home brewed reciped. I have one and that 's a good start. A

Anyway, I search here with a search string of "lube" which gave me crazy results and "lube recipe" only had one hit with a thread from yesterday using annhydrous lanolin. This can't be the only one. Please give me a better search string so that I can get some info and get cooking!

scrapcan
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
or felix lube or look a the top of castboolits for the sticky on felix lube.

Ballard
02-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Contact Glen Fryxell for recipe for a first class cast bullet lube.

ironhat
02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks, guys. The name Glen Fryxell doesn't show up in the members list. I 'll scan for a different spelling. Felix's thread is 9 pages long but I did get the basic formula on the first page. I'm wonder where you get sodium stearate other than in Ivory soap. The search is on.
I came across this pistol recipe:
1 part Beeswax
.75 parts petroleum jelly
.25 parts paraffin (candle wax)

Rifle recipe:
The above recipe , doubled. Then,
4 tablespoons of automatic transmission fluid
4 ounce bottle of LEE’s liquid Alox
an nextra half pound of candle wax. I adjust the amount of candle wax for winter and summer shooting......., a little softer for winter and a little stiffer for summer.

Ballard
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Try equal parts of Beeswax and Moly Grease. Works well in handguns. I've never run it in a rifle.

wiljen
02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
www.castpics.net has Felix lube recipe

ironhat
02-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Good site (castpics.net)! A couple of questions:
1. Do you uys know of a good way to get the black lube out of the feed well? It looks like there's still a couple of inches left in there.

2. Is there a solvent that will get the lube out of the dies or is it best just to push it out with the new? I want to paint the press too and the right solvent will be needed to get the traces of the lube off of the body.

Sorry to be a Pain. I have to order a book before I actually start so in the meantime I'm getting things cleaned up.

TIA (and hopefull for the last time for a bit)
Chiz

scrapcan
02-20-2009, 01:44 PM
The easiest way I have found is to use boiling water. I have used an old bucket and poured boiling water from a tea pot and have used an old metal pot and boiled the water and put the press in the water. Of course both you will need to dissassemble the press or die. Remember to oil parts that will be expsed and could rust after the treatment.

Trapshooter
02-20-2009, 01:54 PM
A carefully applied heat gun or the old hair drier you just replaced with a very nice new one for SWMBO works pretty well too.

Trapshooter

357maximum
02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
setting the oven on 350 and placing the sizer upside down on an OLD cookie sheet always did it for me.

lube recipes : http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29683

It is frustrating when you search for a string and only come up with

a frayed knot. :lol: