PDA

View Full Version : Lee-menting success

johnly
02-19-2009, 12:48 AM
I have Lee 6 cavity 311041 GB mold that has been nothing but problems. Took the plunge and spun some linotype bullets in each cavity that was wetted with JB bore cleaning compound and WD-40. Cleaned the mold with acetone, applied "drop-out", then assembled the mold and started casting bullets with linotype. Once the mold came up to temperature, beautiful bullets just fell out of the mold. Checking the bullets show that the bullets are round within .0005", which is better than the mold delivered from the factory. I'm impressed with the outcome. I went from considering Lee molds as a last choice, to one on par with the other mold manufacturers.

John

cohutt
02-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Likewise I was amazed at the difference lee-menting made on my lee 6x molds. I used Turtlewax car polishing compound as the abrasive whem i did it.

Crowkiller
02-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I did all my Lee molds at once. My .38 mold which had never actually dropped a bullet out without a sharp rap on the hinge started dropping clean boolits.

I now have a 45/70 mold I'm applying the process to this weekend.

johnly
02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Like you, I'm working through all my Lee molds as well. Did the 338, 8x56R, and 309-200 molds last night. It's so nice to open the molds and just have the bullets fall out.

John

Rocky Raab
02-24-2009, 06:38 PM
As a new guy here, I have not read about this procedure. Would you please describe how you "spin" a bullet in the mould?

As you might surmise, I have several Lee moulds that tenaciously hold onto a bullet after casting.

Edit to add: As Rosanne Rosannadanna would have said, "Nevermind..." LOL! I found the "Sticky" right there at the top.

johnly
02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Clean the mold and cast a few bullets in each cavity. I like to use hard alloys, so I cast my bullets in linotype. I'd be surprised if wheelweights will work just as good. Drill a hole in the base of the bullet as close to center as you can. I cheat and use a metal lathe with a collet chuck. Run a sheet metal screw into the hole, apply some mild abrasive into the cavity, insert the cast bullet into the cavity, close the mold and use the screw drive to spin the bullet.

John