PDA

View Full Version : A bit different

white eagle
02-27-2024, 09:04 PM
So I got this 41 cal. mold from our friend over in Slovenia that needs a gas check, so naturally I ordered some 41 cal checks.
Now the mail being what it is and this being a new gun I want to shoot it a soon as possible.
I do have 44 cal checks so I thought why not try and use the 44's on the 41 cal.? I tried and low and behold they work just fine so I am on the road till I get the proper checks.
Have any of you all done this or something similar? I guess the old addige of "where there's a will, theres a way." is more than just a saying :D
BTW speaking of improvising I am also using a 44 cal sizing die to lube my boolits..

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-27-2024, 10:57 PM
I am surely surprised. While, I've never tried it, I would think that would not work. 0.020" oversized, that's a lot for a GC...and it's a lot for a lube die. But don't let my thoughts get in your way of some shootin' fun, if it works, then it works.

white eagle
02-27-2024, 11:56 PM
it works famously actually
I just use the sizing die to lube the bullets only, I size them properly in another operation when I install the checks
easy, smeasy

littlejack
03-03-2024, 05:03 PM
What boolit mould did you decide on?

MT Gianni
03-04-2024, 01:51 PM
.019" difference at the waist, I'm not sure how much at the shank. At worst is might be shedding checks after exiting. At best you made a functional load out of what you had on hand. I know that 0.244" checks do not fit 0.224" bullets nor do 0.454" checks fit 0.429" bullets. You may have found the magic ones.

schutzen-jager
03-04-2024, 05:01 PM
awhile back at my private range, first cease fire call to go down + check target i found floor filled with used gas checks, iirc shooter told me he was using .45 gas checks on his lead .44 special cast bullets -