PDA

View Full Version : over powder card

lead chucker
02-27-2024, 02:41 AM
I have a TC .56SB barrel on the way and getting things ready for it. I have some 15 mm thick cards that i made for my 58 SB so was wondering if they are too tight for a .56. I was also wondering if 12 pack beer and pop cardboard is thick enough for over powder and over shot cards? I have some material that is twice as thick but only have limited amounts of that. When its gone its gone. Tonight i made a couple hundered balls out of tow and then mixed 1/3 beeswax and 2/3's Crisco melted in a double boiler dipped each ball in it and let them drain. Thats my take on a fiber wad. I have used them in the past and seem to work. Not sure if its totally necessary but i figure it would help keep the fowling soft and create a cushion for the shot. What do you guys think when it comes to smooth bores shooting shot? I did taxidermy work in the past and used the tow for making bird bodies its a little coarser than some tow i have seen but rolls up into nice little balls. I have alot of it so im trying to put it to use in this shotgun application. Adding the beeswax and crisco i figure it would help with fowling and not catch fire so easy and make a smoldering fire hazard.

lead chucker
02-27-2024, 02:53 AM
15mm diameter cards is what i ment in my previous post.

Edward
02-27-2024, 07:41 AM
Shot over powder/Cream of wheat over shot (equal amounts)NO WAD between then a Dura felt wad (lubed or unlubed ) try it /Ed

LAGS
02-27-2024, 10:28 AM
I got some fiber wads from TOW
I also used 28 ga. Plastic shotgun wads for shooting birdshot , buckshot and some slugs.
I don’t think those 15 mm wads would be too wide
They might be a little tight when you start them.
But lubed they should slide down easily.
Let me check and see if I still have some lead balls left now that I rebored my .56 SB
If I have them I will mail them to you.
I think I used a piece of 1/2” EMT conduit or copper tubing to cut cardboard wads.
But most of my slug shooting was done with a patched ball.
I also cut wads out of Fiber board that was 1/4” or 1/2” thick
You can also use Cork gasket material for wads.
One thing I never got to try was a Paper Patched REAL .50 cal. heavy slug with an over powder wad.

waksupi
02-27-2024, 12:10 PM
I use poster board from Wally World. No need for the fiber. Read the V.M. Starr sticky on muzzleloading shotguns.

curdog
03-04-2024, 11:08 PM
I had a barrel bored to .62 cal last fall and with the advice of Waksupi I used cornmeal over the powder. My load was 60 grains of 2f goex and directly over the powder went 60 grains of cornmeal and then 80 grains of number 6 shot directly over the cornmeal. I then put a overshot card and seated it pretty tight. I shot squirrels cutting hickory nuts in the top of those trees and they dropped out dead. I would give this combo a try. It loads easy and is simple and very effective. Thanks again to Waksupi........................Curdog

curdog
03-04-2024, 11:13 PM
Just wanted to add that it is a smoothbore renegade barrel.

lead chucker
03-05-2024, 02:12 AM
I will try that method when i get my barrel, should be here end of this week. Should be fun.