PDA

View Full Version : Berreta Mod92A1

DeadWoodDan
02-25-2024, 07:52 PM
I purchased this used and am having issues. All rounds are firing but getting Failure to extract and Failure to feed (will chamber part way).
At first I thought my handloads may not be powerful enough. I then tried 3 different brands purchased ammo with same results.
Disassembled and cleaned looking for clues without luck....
Is it possible that i have too weak of spring or something else mechanically? Unfortunetly I do not know who the previous owner was or can confirm how it was used.

thanks! DWD

Outpost75
02-25-2024, 08:26 PM
Does it malfunction with factory ammo?

DeadWoodDan
02-25-2024, 08:52 PM
Yes. I tried 3 different brands just to rule out ammo.

Mk42gunner
02-25-2024, 09:05 PM
Can you hand cycle dummies?

First thing I would check is extractor tension and also make sure the extractor hook is all there.

For the failure to feed problem, replace the recoil spring.

Robert

elmacgyver0
02-25-2024, 09:14 PM
I think you found out way he sold it.
Did you try a different magazine?
Can you manually extract a shell? (extractor engagement)
Has the feed ramp been modified?
How about the ejector? present , modified?
First thing I would try is different magazines.

MUSTANG
02-26-2024, 12:07 AM
Check the chamber. Is there scratching or scaring in the chamber that would restrict the brass from being easily extracted?

DeadWoodDan
02-26-2024, 10:35 AM
I think you found out way he sold it.
Did you try a different magazine?
Can you manually extract a shell? (extractor engagement)
Has the feed ramp been modified?
How about the ejector? present , modified?
First thing I would try is different magazines.

Yes, I tried different mags and I can manually extract without issue.

elmacgyver0
02-26-2024, 11:08 AM
Like previously stated by Mk42gunner, try a different recoil spring.

elmacgyver0
02-26-2024, 11:18 AM
Has it been cleaned? if not do it and give it a good oiling.
My SW5906 was doing some of what your gun is doing, and a good cleaning and oiling straitened it right out.

DeadWoodDan
02-27-2024, 10:49 AM
Good news it just needed a good cleaning! I can't believe I didn't think of this and just assumed the negative. I was raised to admit my mistakes and this was a hard oversight, my apologies for taking everyones time but glad I had your support!

TNsailorman
02-27-2024, 11:13 AM
The main thing is that your problem has been found and solved. We all overlook the obvious sometimes. At least you brought the problem to the one source that could help you. This is a great site and the most knowledgeable group of people I have ever ran into. james

DeadWoodDan
02-27-2024, 12:34 PM
The main thing is that your problem has been found and solved. We all overlook the obvious sometimes. At least you brought the problem to the one source that could help you. This is a great site and the most knowledgeable group of people I have ever ran into. james

I agree! This site and our hobby I have found brings me peace when working through lifes problems whether it be work or family related. I have always turned and relieved stress through the joy of shooting and casting, reloading, etc... Fortunate enough to have a place such as this! DWD

rintinglen
02-27-2024, 06:18 PM
I used to shoot with an old time gunsmith who often said he repaired more problems by cleaning than by anything else. If anybody had a problem on the line, the first thing he'd ask is "When did you last clean this (bleeping) thing?" He was a foul-mouthed, old coot but what he didn't know about guns wasn't fit to print. It is astounding how often problems disappear with the application of a cleaning brush and some cleaning solution followed by a little oil.

Mk42gunner
02-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Well, I'm glad all it needed was a deeper cleaning. Now see how many rounds it takes to start to malfunction again.

I had a thought about this last night, and my next suggestion was going to be to check the locking wedge for cracks. I have never held an Model 92A1, but I have replaced numerous locking blocks in US Navy owned M9's. (Big hint as to why I won't own one).

Robert

FergusonTO35
02-28-2024, 09:49 AM
College friend had a Beretta 96. Very sweet shooter, the only .40 I can say I enjoyed shooting. Endless failure to feed/eject with most kinds of ammo, but 100% with one type that was a bit hotter and I've forgotten what it was.