PDA

View Full Version : Number 79

Ivantherussian03
02-18-2009, 10:51 PM
No reloading supplies are available in Anchorage. Primers are out....powder is out....

Deliveries are two weeks late, now, and still not coming. Shipments from the lower 48 are 80% smaller than normal. So when a shipment arrives it sells out in 2 days, and that is with rationing what customers buy.

panic buying = no reloading supplies for anyone

I am number 79 on the primer list

Frustrating uh

Slowpoke
02-18-2009, 11:01 PM
I feel for you buddy

If I was a betting man I would probably risk $2 and say, I bet it won't happen to you again.

good luck

Ivantherussian03
02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
I am fine. I have years of reloading supplies: jacketed bullets, cartridges, powder, and primers. I was just surprised to see the panic buying.....the sheep are being driven to the slaughter.

I figured I better get on the list anyway....it might take a year for supply and demand levels to meet.

Bret4207
02-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I just received my back ordered Hornady LNL progressive yesterday. Ordered it in December. It appears the whole industry is making money at least!

bobk
02-19-2009, 08:42 AM
See, Obama IS stimulating the economy! :kidding:

Bob K

1Shirt
02-19-2009, 12:49 PM
I stopped in at Hornady in Grand Island yesterday. They are hiring! Good that at least some business still has a market, even if it is based on fear of confiscation and tax.
1Shirt!:coffee:

bigdog454
02-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm pretty well set if I ration my shooting for the next 15 years, but Never enough. Just wish I knew how to make primers.

waksupi
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm pretty well set if I ration my shooting for the next 15 years, but Never enough. Just wish I knew how to make primers.

Pry the old anvil out of the fired primer. Scrape out the old priming compound. Place on flat surface, and use a punch to remove the firing pin dimple.
Get some blue tip wooden matches. Dampen, and remove the white on the tip. Once you have enough collected, dampen into a paste. Fill the primer cap about half way, and replace the anvil. Let dry.

Now you know!

:drinks:

JW6108
02-19-2009, 04:46 PM

Where there's a will..........

From TM31-210/Improvised Munitions Handbook (Department of the Army Technical Manual), 1969:

Reusable primer

Materials required

Used cartridge case
2 long nails having appx. the same diameter as the inside of the primer pocket
"Strike anywhere" matches-2 or 3 are needed for each primer
Vise
Hammer
Knife or other sharp edge instrument

Procedure

1. File one nail to a needle point so that it is small enough to fit through hole in primer pocket.

2. Place cartridge case and nail between jaws of vise. Force out fired primer with nail as shown.

3. Remove anvil from primer cup.

4. File down point of second nail until tip is flat.

5. Remove indentation from face of primer cup with hammer and flattened nail.

6. Cut off tips of the heads of "strike anywhere" matches using knife. Carefully crush the match tips on dry surface with wooden match stick until the mixture is the consistency of sugar. Do not crush more than 3 match tips at one time or the mixture may explode.

7. Pour mixture into primer cup. Compress mixture with wooden match stick until primer cup is fully packed.

8. Place anvil in primer pocket with legs down.

9. Place cup in pocket with mixture facing downward.

10. Place cartridge case and primer cup between vise jaws, and press slowly until primer is seated into bottom of pocket. The primer is now ready to use.

There is also a section on powder: scrapings from match heads (that's all) and there is a rifle powder recipe from scratch.

Let's hope it doesn't come to this.

dbldblu
02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Safety glasses might be a good idea when working with match heads.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-20-2009, 03:32 AM
Good information, we all "Hope it won't" come to this, but fore warned is fore armed..these people that are in power at this time will not give this idiot crap up easily..they want us disarmed, anyway they can do it..Semper Fi..S.L.

carpetman
02-20-2009, 04:30 AM
Prices o components will sky rocket,shelves be empty and Prez Obama will not be aware it happened. In a few months all those thousands of primers will be showing up cheap at garage sales.

leadeye
02-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Prices o components will sky rocket,shelves be empty and Prez Obama will not be aware it happened. In a few months all those thousands of primers will be showing up cheap at garage sales.

I hope you are right or this will be a limited shooting summer.

HABCAN
02-20-2009, 12:38 PM
JW6108...........back in '48 as teens we did a lot of that. Worked, too, especially in .32 S&W Saturday Night Specials filched from bedside tables, LOL, with powder 'salvaged' from .22LR's. Drilled cavities in a block of cherry wood with a roundnose bit, melted the .22 lead and poured '.32 Meeyownomore boolits' which were lubed (smeared?) with JPW. Luckily, never had a KABOOM, but it WAS a 'learning process'. Sometimes it's amazing just what lengths a guy will (may have to?) go to to be 'armed'!