PDA

View Full Version : Warning warning do not eat your atv!!!!!!

DeepSouth
02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Have ya'll heard this about atv's and some of their parts containg lead.I well and truly live in a stark raving mad totally no common sense world.I mean how can I be trusted to get up and brush my teeth in the morning.Just yesterday I had a deliciuos piece of rare Rincon fender it was a 2005 model.This just is the icing on the cake.I'm totally depressed now and must go to bed.These folks need to get a life.Go find a freaking job or something.

SharpsShooter
02-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Don't leave that ATV untended. We'll melt it down for boolits.:-D

SS

briang
02-18-2009, 10:08 PM
So that's where my ATV went...

DeepSouth
02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Well we would have plenty of lead.I can't remember the groups name but they are actually wanting new atvs pulled off the showroom because of the lead content.I would assume its in the plastic maybe,couls be where the color comes from.Who knows!

yondering
02-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Perhaps leaded steel or iron too? (Lead steel machines easier.)

Firebird
02-19-2009, 01:17 AM
The lead is in the babbit coating on the engine bearings; maybe a little in bronze bushing somewhere; the ends of the cables still often have a blob of lead on them to prevent the cable from pulling through it's connection. But it all adds up, you only need to get more than 600 parts per million on a part and you can't sell the product to children anymore.
I guess it would make sense if the part had to be able to fit into a child's mouth, but it obviously doesn't. I don't see too many people letting their kids take their ATV apart to chew on the engine bearings.

dromia
02-19-2009, 02:47 AM
My ATV is a pair of boots. :(

Boerrancher
02-19-2009, 09:26 AM
I am not going to even get started. I am so disgusted with my government right now.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

RayinNH
02-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Bleeping morons, all of them...Ray

Rusty W
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I worked at a Yamaha shop for a while. I was laid off in January. Not enough business to keep 2 mechanics busy. The economy is bad enough. They say they're going to create new jobs and turn around and totally wipe out part of a market. It don't seem like much at first, but if you look at the whole picture not just the unit (bike/ATV) it's a big part of the motorcycle industry. There's racing for the little guys, and big guys too. How do think the little guys get to the races? There's gear ( boots helmets gloves jersey pants etc), parts, both factory and aftermarket. Around here during the winter there's indoor flat track racing. There's a class called Mad Dog mini for racing pit bikes, mostly 80's and 100's. I'm 38 years old and have been riding since I was 12. I own 6 motorcycles and one of which is a XR 100. I've raced it in the mad dog mini and some other pit bike races. If I want a new one I can't buy one cause the government thinks I might eat it???? OMG where's their head.

I agree with you Joe. I'm so mad I could spit.

fourarmed
02-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Might be some lead in the batteries, too. And what about WHEELWEIGHTS?

jhalcott
02-19-2009, 08:19 PM
It is sad, but the populace will only tolerate so much. After that it's any one guess. 1937 germany. 1970's cambodia??

Slow Elk 45/70
02-20-2009, 03:23 AM
Welcome to the Liberal Far Left histeria channel...we need to understand that we are being out numbered by idiots..they have been Spawing and living as sponges while we were busy working ...to support them...S.L.

KYCaster
02-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Have ya'll heard this about atv's and some of their parts containg lead.I well and truly live in a stark raving mad totally no common sense world.I mean how can I be trusted to get up and brush my teeth in the morning.Just yesterday I had a deliciuos piece of rare Rincon fender it was a 2005 model.This just is the icing on the cake.I'm totally depressed now and must go to bed.These folks need to get a life.Go find a freaking job or something.

I've seen this mentioned in a couple of places on the net without any documentation cited.

Does anybody know the origin of this? Anybody got a link to a document or ruling? I'd like to check it out a bit further.

Jerry

siamese4570
02-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I saw this in the paper this morning. It has to do with the law forbidding lead in childrens toys (thank you china!). The small atvs and dirt bikes are designed for kids under 16 who meet the definition of a child. It seems that there is lead in the batteries and some in the shocks. Who'd a thunk it? The inmates are running the asylum!!!! I don't guess they're concerned about the sulfuric acid that you'd have to go thru to get to the lead in the batteries.

siamese4570

dakotashooter2
02-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Does this mean I shouldn't be LICKING my ATV clean after a mud run?

I wouldn't doubt if the paint contained lead as it is still the most durable paint.

It's really hilarious if you think about it. The risks involved in riding an ATV far outnumber the risk of detrimental lead exposure. Obviously the inmates are running the Asylum again.

giz189
02-21-2009, 12:57 PM
I got this from a friend in a Honda dealership. This is part of what the letter from Honda said to us. On Aug 14, 2008, Congress enacted the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008. The act was primarily in reaction to the recent influx of lead tainted toys that resulted in numerous recalls and public outcry for more stringement gov't standards. The CPSIA requires manufacturers of "childrens products", defined as those products designed and intended for use by children under 12 to meet increasingly stringent lead paint and lead content standards and to certify by a 3rd party testing that the products meet the Acts requirements. "What all this means to you is that- without congressional or CPSC action-- you will not be able to sell new or used TRX 90, CRF 50F, CRF70f, or CRF 80F models after February 10, 2009, stranding your investment in your new and used inventory. In fact, under the terms of the Act, you cannot even display these models on your showroom floor, distribute brochures, or advertise them on your website." Unquote. According to Honda, some of the material in the bearings gears and so forth, inside the trans and engine may contain some lead. The limit is 600 ppm. The paint passes this test. It is safe.

helice
02-21-2009, 01:07 PM
:coffee: After a thorough search of the California Hunting and Fishing Rules and Regs I have determined that there is no season on ATVs. I am wondering if they are an endangered species with all that lead in their systems. I also suspect that a fellow could get into some serious trouble if the sphincter police found one in his freezer marked Battery Steaks and Babbit Bearing Roast. :-D Keep writin', I'm learnin' Helice

Southern Son
02-22-2009, 01:39 AM
I think that Dakotashooter is right. The way some of those kids ride 4 wheelers and trail bikes around here, lead in the bike is not going to get time to harm them.

I think that it is time that the whole planet let natural seletion do it's thing. If you are doing something with a motor bike that will lead to your lead levels increasing, I really think that the world would be a better place without you. Truthfully, the days of leaded petrol are gone, so how the hell will the lead get out of a motor bike and into you blood?

DeepSouth
02-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Amen,Southern Son.