PDA

View Full Version : H&K P7 purchase

Battis
02-20-2024, 12:50 PM
I've been helping a friend research a few guns that he in inherited. He sold off many but he held on to the H&K P7 until we determined that it wasn't a super valuable handgun. With that in mind, he put a crazy low price on it that I jumped at. He included everything in the photo. The breakopen is an Iver and Johnson, probably .38 S&W, that needs alot of work (great project gun). The .22 is not worth alot but it's in great shape (similar to the Wrangler .22).
He still has the 1903 Rock Island "sniper" rifle that he'll hold to until he finds the right buyer (which would be me, but I gotta stop).

Battis
02-20-2024, 02:56 PM
The .22 is a Rohm Mod 66 with a 6" barrel. Not many good reviews of the Rohm guns online, but this one is in great shape (for what it is). Current value seems to be around $125, but some have sold for more. I have a Wrangler .22, a fun gun to shoot. If this Rohm is safe to shoot, I'll keep it.
The Iver Johnson is good mechanically, but there's some deep pits and ruts in the finish. Maybe I can fill in the damaged areas with something and sand it down. I'll post pics on the Gunsmithing section. Gotta love those project guns.

Tatume
02-20-2024, 03:38 PM
You're going to love the P7. I've owned the P7M8, and currently have a P7, which I very much prefer.

FergusonTO35
02-20-2024, 04:31 PM
Is the P7 factory nickel or stainless? The few I have seen in person were blued. The Rohm 66 is one of a few decent guns they produced, and I'm pretty sure it is the grandfather of today's Heritage Rough Rider. If it shoots good I would keep it.

Tatume
02-20-2024, 04:36 PM
H&K made nickel-plated P7 pistols, but none in stainless steel.

Texas by God
02-20-2024, 05:02 PM
I like the P7 better than the P7/m13 double stack that my brother had.
Be careful with that RG single action. Every one of the few I’ve seen had a very light trigger.
The only two people I know that have shot themselves in the leg did so with that model of RG .22 revolver.
Ten years apart, both idiots tried to reholster the cocked handgun and the hair trigger with a finger on it did the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
02-20-2024, 05:28 PM
H&K made nickel-plated P7 pistols, but none in stainless steel.

Did not know that, thanks. Are nickel P7's rare?

Tatume
02-20-2024, 05:36 PM
Did not know that, thanks. Are nickel P7's rare?

Not quite rare, but they are uncommon.

Battis
02-20-2024, 06:15 PM
I called HK last week and they ran the serial number. It was a German police pistol that was bought back by HK, then refurbished (chromed?) and sold to the US. Factory nickeled P7s are rare and pricey. I don't think it's been fired since it was refurbished. I like the heft of it, and its unique cocking mechanism. Hopefully it shoots as well as it feels.
The Rohm is marked .22 mag on the barrel.

FergusonTO35
02-21-2024, 10:44 AM
Sounds good. I didn't know the Rohm was ever made in .22 Magnum, bonus! You may want to compare it to a Rough Rider if you ever get a chance. My understanding is that Heritage is actually a successor company to a few different firms which imported cheap/low cost guns from Germany and Italy including Rohm back in the day. Wouldn't surprise me if the RR was just an updated 66.