PDA

View Full Version : Hogue Grips on SBH

Hickok
02-20-2024, 12:06 PM
This is probably pretty apparent to most here, but would just like give a heads-up about Hogue grips on my Super Blackhawk.

I have owned two other SBH .44's over the years (with the square trigger guard) and 2 Blackhawk 45 colts. With magnum loads and Ruger only loads they could really make my right hand and middle finger ache after shooting 50 or so rounds. Even midrange 950fps rounds with 250-270gr boolits could get tiresome contending with dragoon trigger guard on the SBH, or trying to grip the regular Blackhawk with three fingers, and the pinky under the grip. My hands are too big for the Colt-style grip.

Getting this new SBH 4 5/8" with a round trigger guard didn't help any with recoil. I have some Smiths .44s and .357s with Hogue rubber grips and they work great.

But I always hated the look of the Hogues on a Blackhawk...pure ugly. Well after much shooting, sore hands and fingers, I put my contrary, hard-headed, biased opinion aside and got a set of Hogue Monogrips for my Super Blackhawk.

Totally amazing is the difference!

My gorilla paws fit the Hogue grip, they are super comfortable and I can shoot without busted and bruised fingers and knuckles. I can shoot a mid-range 250gr/950fps load and it is like plinking with a .38 special round in a Smith model 27.

The Hogue Monogrip may be ugly, but "Pretty is as pretty does!"

These grips on a Ruger single action work!

Ed K
02-20-2024, 12:21 PM
Looked at the butt-ugly Hogue grip on a SS SBH in a local shop 20 years ago. Picked it up and the grip was wonderful! Still don't have one. :confused:

TomAM
02-20-2024, 12:33 PM
I have a permanent scar on my middle finger from extensive use of full power loads with the stock handled SBH.

Replacement grips don't need to be pretty, but to me, rubber grips were like holding onto the rear tire of a dragster.

My personal solution was a conventional grip frame (non Dragoon) and large aftermarket wooden grips carved down a bit to fit my hand just right.

contender1
02-21-2024, 12:01 AM
Just remember,, "No one size fits all!"

Many people complain about the SBH,,, and it's Dragoon g/f/. Yet,, others find it works just fine.

It's ALL about what fits YOUR hands!!!!!!!!

Bazoo
02-21-2024, 12:50 AM
I bought a SBH with the short barrel and standard XR3-RED sized grip frame a few years back. It had Hogues on it. I shot it with them some, and it shot well. I then removed them and put on standard grip panels. I couldn't shoot it nearly as well, so I decided I was going to undertake a journey to master the gun with wooden grip panels. I ended up having some issues and Ruger replaced the gun with a brand new gun, then I ended up with a Blackhawk in 44 Special and sold the SBH NIB. My quest to master the Ruger Blackhawk with regular grip panels continues, though now with milder recoil.

Thumbcocker
02-21-2024, 09:30 AM
Any Ruger. 44 mag that I own is either a Bisley or has Hogues on it. The only change I would make to the Hogues is to eliminate the finger grooves, but theybwork ok with them.

Hickok
02-21-2024, 10:48 AM
Bazoo, your experience mimics mine.

Simply changing to the Hogue grip improved my grouping.

Thumbcocker, it would be interesting to see a set of wooden Hogue monogrips worked down, to a nice and pleasing configuration on a single action revolver, something that looks right, and feels right!

MrWolf
02-21-2024, 10:48 AM
Any Ruger. 44 mag that I own is either a Bisley or has Hogues on it. The only change I would make to the Hogues is to eliminate the finger grooves, but theybwork ok with them.

Interesting as on my 41, I need those finger grooves to stop the grip from turning in my hand. Nerve damage from a bad neck/back. Everybody is different.

racepres
02-23-2024, 10:17 AM
Bazoo, your experience mimics mine.

Simply changing to the Hogue grip improved my grouping.

Thumbcocker, it would be interesting to see a set of wooden Hogue monogrips worked down, to a nice and pleasing configuration on a single action revolver, something that looks right, and feels right!
I really think I like that too!!!

Thumbcocker
02-23-2024, 10:33 AM
Something like this is what I had in mind.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240223/aa62f458503fafc42936ba5bafc7cade.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Texas by God
02-23-2024, 10:57 PM
I like Pachmayr grips better than Hogues on a kicking Blackhawk- no finger grooves and not quite as ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racepres
02-24-2024, 08:50 AM
I like Pachmayr grips better than Hogues on a kicking Blackhawk- no finger grooves and not quite as ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But..Necessarily Fat at the Bottom..Not conducive for Control for me. Then again, single action grip shapes do me No Favors..

lar45
02-26-2024, 05:38 PM
I am a huge fan of the Hogue monogrip.
I've hod one on my 4 5/8" 45 Blackhawk for several decades. I even put one on my BFR in 475.

ShooterAZ
02-26-2024, 07:20 PM
I'm a big fan of the Monogrip as well. Pretty they're not, but they sure help with the controllability and recoil.

gunther
02-26-2024, 07:43 PM
The flat top grip frame defies Pachmayr or Hogue grips. Neither company makes a grip to fit. However if you remove the grip locator pin, the discontinued Pachmayr grip for the SAA will be a tight fit. Yup, I have very large hands. If you have a line on xxl work gloves, please let me know.

gnappi
03-06-2024, 12:53 PM
IIRC Hogue makes the rubber BFR grips and I found them far more pleasurable in my BFR .45 Colt with hot loads than my BFR .44 mag with mid range loads.

THAT REALLY surprised me.

35 Rem
03-06-2024, 01:44 PM
I agree technically with everything being stated here but it took me until age 61 just to get to the point that I could buy a Super Blackhawk rather than sticking with a true Colt SAA configuration. If John Wayne never used it, I struggle to like a single action revolver. :) Those 4 clicks are like music. As I said I finally got a Super Blackhawk at age 61 because I wanted more power than my 45 Colt SAA's could deliver and my Interarms Virginian Dragoon in 44 Magnum had too many problems. But I got the 5 1/2 SBH with the fluted cylinder and round trigger guard because it looks most like the Colt.

Bazoo
03-07-2024, 12:29 AM
I actually prefer Ruger new models for their ability to carry them fully loaded.