PDA

View Full Version : AK47 parts kit

218bee
02-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I decided to withdraw a stupid question...these have to be illegal to make a gun out of one.....BAD IDEA

leftiye
02-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Nope, they ain't. You're supposed to get a permit from BATF, and have a certain percentage of made in America, or home built parts in them. I'm sure your friendly, courteous, and eager to help (not) local BATFE employees will tell you anything you need to know if you call them.

acmech
02-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Nope, they ain't. You're supposed to get a permit from BATF, and have a certain percentage of made in America, or home built parts in them. I'm sure your friendly, courteous, and eager to help (not) local BATFE employees will tell you anything you need to know if you call them.

You don't need a permit or anything else. Your right about needing a US parts count but there has never been a requirement to get a permit to make an AK (we're talking semi only).

Per ATF regs., it is legal for any US citizen to make a otherwise legal weapon for their personal use. In the case of an AK47, you must follow some specifics, an AK is considered a sporting weapon if it has 6 or more US made parts, if it doesn't, its illegal. For your parts count you can use a receiver which you can buy or fold yourself, the FCG is 3 more, the piston on the carrier makes it 5 and a pistol grip makes it 6. Now your gun falls withing NFA 922r and is legal. Of course it must be semi auto only. There is no requirement for you to serial no. your receiver if you made it but the ATF highly recommends it. If you ever sell the firearm, you must serial no. it and put your full name and address on it as the manufacturer. You cannot make it with intent to sell either.

People have been building their own ak's and even semi-auto 1919a4 machine guns for years. Nobody following the information I have given has ever gotten into trouble. I'll tell ya what, don't trust what I have to say on it, but check it out yourself, just check the ATF regs. online, and you local and state laws for other restrictions.

Here is a link from the ATF website that says what I just said, http://www.atf.gov/firearms/building_a_firearm.pdf
2 years ago you could get a $89 parts kit, a $12 tapco receiver flat, and other US made parts and build your own AK pretty cheap. Its gotten pretty expensive now.

To sum it up, it is perfectly legal, no permit required or need to ask permission, but US parts must be added.

gds
02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes it is completely legal. I have built 9 AKs, and a 1919, Like the above post, you have to make sure of the AK US made parts. I used the reciever, a Tapco trigger group, the piston, a pistol grip and a US made flash suppressor. That makes 7 Us made parts. I think that only six is required.

StarMetal
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Yes it is completely legal. I have built 9 AKs, and a 1919, Like the above post, you have to make sure of the AK US made parts. I used the reciever, a Tapco trigger group, the piston, a pistol grip and a US made flash suppressor. That makes 7 Us made parts. I think that only six is required.

Are you using the rivets on the receiver or did you go with the special screws? How you pressing the barrel into the trunnion? You using the single or double hook trigger?

Joe

acmech
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I started out using screws, but thats actually harder than using rivets. Well if you can rivet I guess, as an aircraft mech. its easier than trying to hand tap a hole nice and straight. I use rivets, and some tools I made for a 20 ton press my dad bought me to remove and press in the barrel. Here is a pic of my tooling, you don't have to use a press, you can also use the big hammer method, but protect your barrel by using a brass drift.

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=15178&size=1

jdgabbard
02-27-2009, 02:42 PM
What all the guys above said. 100% legal until Dear Leader decides to put an end to it...

wonderwolf
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I've helped to build and built 5 or so AK's along with other various "parts kits".

charlie3tuna
02-27-2009, 03:16 PM
I want to build an AK pistol, NOT a rifle, to get around the above rules. Can this be done?

Thanks,
charlie

richbug
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I want to build an AK pistol, NOT a rifle, to get around the above rules. Can this be done?

Thanks,
charlie

Sure, just make sure the rear trunnion has no provision for mounting a stock. Pretty easy to make one out of a block of steel.

AMD-65 kits work well for pistols since they have 12" barrels. No compliance parts issues with a pistol either.

charlie3tuna
02-27-2009, 03:48 PM
richbug, thanks a million. You're also a mind reader, an AMD-65 is what I have.

charlie

richbug
02-27-2009, 04:50 PM
richbug, thanks a million. You're also a mind reader, an AMD-65 is what I have.

charlie

You can also just weld the hole in the AMD rear trunnion full so it can't accept a stock.

acmech
03-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks,
charlie

Yes, as stated there can be no way to attach a butt stock. Also with a pistol build, there is no US part requirement, so you can use the original pistol grip and other parts. If you use the original FCG though you may have a problem with trigger slap or other problems such as the hammer not resetting. The Hole geometry of the Tapco flats isn't the same as the originals, so you may have problems with the original fcg. I helped a guy build a rifle and he took it home, later he emailed me about something being wrong with the build because the hammer wouldn't reset, dumbfounded I said that in 25 or so builds I've never seen a Tapco trigger group do that and he proceeded to tell me he was trying to use the original. I told him to throw his original parts away put in Tapco parts and don't contact me until he does. A Tapco trigger group is the best cheapest way to go.

218bee
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
How hard is it to bend a receiver "flat" ?? Do you have a special jig??

StarMetal
03-01-2009, 06:02 PM
How hard is it to bend a receiver "flat" ?? Do you have a special jig??

I wouldn't mess with bending a flat template. You can buy the receivers bend and ready to go. There are some manufacturers that make a flat template that is scored where you bend them and they bend real easily and they when you have it bent to the proper specs you weld it. Go with a ready made one.

Joe

218bee
03-02-2009, 10:27 AM
where would one get a ready made receiver??

Storydude
03-02-2009, 10:38 AM
www.nodakspud.com

Get the NDS-3, it's drilled already for a Romanian Kit.
Nodak makes the BEST AK receivers. They sell them to Century(DCI industries) to make the in-USA builds(AKA GP74)

osage
03-02-2009, 10:38 AM
This is where I planned to get a receiver. But I never got a kit bought.

http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

Storydude
03-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I got mine at the time when they were 80-100 bucks each. Now, they are 250 with cut barrels.

I am KICKING myself for not buying EVERY ONE Sportsman's guide had when they were 39.99

218bee
03-03-2009, 09:10 AM
looks like nodakspud is sold out as everyone is "OBAMAFIED". Do those have to ship to FFL.

Storydude
03-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Nodak is running 2 shifts. Most of the delay is in Heat-Treating. And yes, these ARE the Firearm, so they need to go through an FFL transfer.

Sprue
03-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Yup... FFL transfer