PDA

View Full Version : sight question greener martini in .444

mdevlin53
02-18-2024, 01:27 PM
This is the sight on a greener martini that was converted to 444. I would like to try something different for a rear sight. I bought the rifle on this site from a fellow named Tunnel. The rifle has a new barrel and stock(Butt stock is currently unfinished) and i am trying to get it into shooting shape.

question one, what is the rear sight?
second question does anyone have an idea if there is a sight out there that would mount in the same holes so there would be no need to plug and redrill.

let me know what you think

Jedman
02-18-2024, 01:47 PM
Not much help for you. I have 3 of these Greener martini actions and I have never seen the sight that’s on yours. I don’t know what kind of sight that is and doubt that you will find another that will fit that hole spacing.
Jedman

eastbank
02-18-2024, 05:58 PM
its a sight off of a mk4 in 303 brit. and looks like a add on and not factory.

xtriggerman
02-19-2024, 04:21 PM
Yup, its an MK4 sight on custom made mounts. First thing to do is check around on the net to see if there ever was a Lyman, Redfield or Williams peep sight ever made for a Martini application. Its possible one of those flat sided applicable peeps may at least cover the holes on the left or right side. Some of them may simply need to have there contour milled flat to be adapted. Your Martini should be around 1.350" in width. So I would start to look for thick action peeps on Ebay for things like Ruger #1's or Winchester hi walls and the like if nothing pops for the Martini.

mdevlin53
02-19-2024, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking around the net and i have found out a few things about this receiver. it seem like it was a greener shotgun once. looks like there are a few remains of Arabic writing on the top of the action and just below the barrel EG is stamped that was for the Egyptian guard(i think).
What is odd in my opinion is that there are two holes drilled a tapped at the rear of the action that look like they are for a parker hale PH 7 or PH7A. I have no idea when or who did this. Web says the PH7 was for small frame martinis and so i am not sure that this is the case. In any event finding a PH sight is a longshot and then i have no idea if it would fit.

any ideas.

If anyone knows rick tunnel let me know his contact info

thanks

john.k
02-22-2024, 01:54 AM
A common side mount for military Martini Henries in 45 and 303 uses the two screws in the action .........a very simple cheap one is remarkably similar to a common pressed steel side mount for a 1895 Winchester ............i made a side mount for the Rawson off my old SMLE range rifle of the 1960s ............the Central sight off the same rifles has a different mounting,but easily attached to a Martini ............However ,this kind of sight does restrict access to the breech,and needs to be over the block pin .......any further back and recoil will damage your hand.

Buckshot
02-24-2024, 08:10 PM
..........IIRC, first of all, yes I did make the sight base. Looking at it from the rear, the attachment piece on the left is to allow the sight to be laid down, or flipped up. Elevation is made via the original knob on the sight. The knob on the right should be for windage adjustment. Sorry for the very tardy response as we just spent 2 weeks over in Arizona as my Dad had passed away. He had had it very well figured out about the distributions to be made. Everything from his house and car to money in the bank and investments'. No fighting amongst the recipients as Pop had it ALL laid out.

I sincerely hope that this will answer your question (As I understand your question) :-). If not, and I misunderstood please ask again.

Best regards,
Rick AKA Buckshot