PDA

View Full Version : Relined rifle barrel

Dan Cash
02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
I have an old 1895 Winchester which is in reasonable mechanical shape but the bore is a loss. It slugs out at more or less .314 and driving the slug through the bore is like sliding it between two rasps. Surprisingly it shoots fairly well with jacketd .311 bullets but cas are a total waste.

Any opinions on reline jobs and their accuracy?
Dan

NSP64
02-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Dan, make some boolits and use a fine polish in the lube grooves, shoot them with squib loads. Clean. Patch some boolits up and shoot those. You might be able to salvage the barrel.

docone31
02-18-2009, 06:39 PM
My .303 British bore was like a cross hatch cylinder bore. I wrapped slightly lighter than the groove diameter and smeared Clover Lapping Compound on the patch. 18 shots later, with full bore loads and it looks like a mirror.
Might just give it a try.

runfiverun
02-18-2009, 08:07 PM
30-8mm carbine in a 12 twist could come in handy....
or the 35 krag

docone31
02-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Over in paper patching, there is a thread started by HeathyDee. It involved his 32-20 with a barrel that sounds the same. He tried what I did and got good results. A reline job can be done, however, if it fires .311s pretty well, why not try .312s?
Essentially, I am reccomending fire refreshing. I cannot tell you how well it worked for me. If it takes .311s, then possibly getting a fire lapping kit and grit impregnating the jacketeds then firing them might also do the trick.
For doing this, I prefer paper patching. Less pressure in the bore vs. jacketeds.
You might consider that.
Drop on by the paper patching section, and do some surfing. It really is a simple procedure and it has tremendous possibility.
Might help preserve that rifle.