PDA

View Full Version : cannelure tool

Wyo-Steve
02-15-2024, 12:13 PM
I understand someone on this board has a line on a good cannelure tool. Can someone lead me in the right direction?:?

rcslotcar
02-15-2024, 12:22 PM
chuckbuster "Ultimate Cannelure Tool" I don't know if he still makes them. I own the wide model #091 with additional tooling.

georgerkahn
02-15-2024, 05:17 PM
I understand someone on this board has a line on a good cannelure tool. Can someone lead me in the right direction?:?

One of the many happy purchases I have made from folks on this site was the Ultimate Cannelure Tool which was made by "Chuckbuster". I also purchased his accessory wheels :). This replaced :) :) :) my C-H tool. Tis hard for me to believe that I purchased mine on November 24th, 2014! 323451

As above post suggested, I, too, do not know if these are still be made. However, manufacturer/seller gives new meaning to "straight shooter" :) and his eMail address -- the "real one" a decade back, was chuckbuster at hotmail dot com . You might try it?

Good luck! Again, if you can find one -- imho, there's none better!
geo

wilecoyote
02-15-2024, 05:22 PM

...I don't know if it can be useful, but here are some notes stolen here, now in my archive.

Minerat
02-15-2024, 11:54 PM
chuckbuster "Ultimate Cannelure Tool" I don't know if he still makes them.

Nope, I got one of the last 3 made in 9/2022. It's not for sale! :bigsmyl2:

Easty
02-16-2024, 10:26 AM
I have the C-H tool. Don’t know if they are still in business. I use it on 10mm/40 cal bullets for 38-40.

barnetmill
02-17-2024, 12:13 AM
I have the C-H tool. Don’t know if they are still in business. I use it on 10mm/40 cal bullets for 38-40.

I did a search and found a website

https://chtoolanddie.com/
2023 CH Tool & Die. All rights reserved.

here is a link for the Cannelure tool. and it says to call for availability
https://chtoolanddie.com/products/bullet/CanToo
in general for ordering the site says

HomeCustomer Service
How to Order

Until we get the online ordering system up and running, the best way to order is via email. You can call if you like, but the phone lines frequently back up and you will end up having to leave a message anyway.

So for now:

Make a list of part numbers you are interested in.
Send us the list via our contact page.
We will email back and forth to discuss availability, prices, and shipping.
When everything is ready, you can call with credit card details, ask for a PayPal® invoice, or send us a check or money order.

atfsux
02-17-2024, 04:20 PM
chuckbuster "Ultimate Cannelure Tool" I don't know if he still makes them.

Would this be the same madman named chuckbuster on YouTube?

atfsux
02-17-2024, 04:33 PM
I see this is in reference to a tool for canneluring BULLETS,...but has anyone ever made a tool for canneluring CASES? Cannelured cases were common decades ago. You used to see them usually in .45acp, .38spl, 9mm, .45colt and such. But you almost never see them anymore. I like how newly cannelured cases can help to prevent bullet set-back within the case, which can be very important for straight-walled cartridges in self-loading actions.

barnetmill
02-17-2024, 06:15 PM
I see this is in reference to a tool for canneluring BULLETS,...but has anyone ever made a tool for canneluring CASES? Cannelured cases were common decades ago. You used to see them usually in .45acp, .38spl, 9mm, .45colt and such. But you almost never see them anymore. I like how newly cannelured cases can help to prevent bullet set-back within the case, which can be very important for straight-walled cartridges in self-loading actions.

I had one some years ago that was supposed to do that, but it completely lacking any precision relative to depth or position of the cannelure groove.

maxreloader
02-17-2024, 07:45 PM
Nope, I got one of the last 3 made in 9/2022. It's not for sale! :bigsmyl2:

I almost bought a second one when those three were posted, they are that nice.

wilecoyote
02-17-2024, 08:00 PM
I see this is in reference to a tool for canneluring BULLETS,...but has anyone ever made a tool for canneluring CASES? ...

I have a C-H for bullets, but I am convinced it can also do cannelure on brass.
never tried, but the difference could lie in putting a removable core in the brass that prevents it from being crushed, just in case...

M-Tecs
02-17-2024, 08:12 PM
I almost bought a second one when those three were posted, they are that nice.

Yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl4ybplI9GU&t=1s

Good Cheer
02-18-2024, 09:27 AM
Does anyone make a tool specifically for rolling lube retaining checkering on the exterior of smooth sided boolits?

firefly1957
02-18-2024, 04:58 PM
When I started sizing Jacketed .357 Bullets to .351" for my Winchester model 1907 a guy on a news group (190's) told me to try the Lee Factory Crimp die for 38/.357 . It works like a charm to make the case indent on the bullet jacket.

Minerat
02-18-2024, 06:29 PM
I see this is in reference to a tool for canneluring BULLETS,...but has anyone ever made a tool for canneluring CASES? Cannelured cases were common decades ago. You used to see them usually in .45acp, .38spl, 9mm, .45colt and such.

Supposedly, the UCT had an optional roller that would let you do that to a case with a rim, but when I got mine they only had 3 tools left and no other parts or optional tooling. I can cannelure rebated rim cases like 45 acp but not 44 mag.

georgerkahn
02-19-2024, 09:33 AM
Supposedly, the UCT had an optional roller that would let you do that to a case with a rim, but when I got mine they only had 3 tools left and no other parts or optional tooling. I can cannelure rebated rim cases like 45 acp but not 44 mag.

I purchased this option with my UCT, and albeit I only used it once -- more "playing around" than for any specific cartridge, I recall noting that results varied if different brands of brass were used; and, trim length had to all be right on. I had thoughts to annealing brass first, but never got around to it. My purchase of the optional roller was 99% more of an "OCD -- I may need it someday -- so, why not?" purchase.
On the other hand, as writ in earlier post, there are no words I'm aware of to voice higher praise for the Chuckbuster tool. I have mine fastened to a 1/2" thick Plexiglas rectangle relying upon C-clamps to mount it as/where I wish -- and it has alway been a pleasure-plus to use! My one and only regular complaint -- which is pretty much "all me!" is when I, say cannalure 100 bullets, I can almost guarantee I will be picking 10 or so up off the floor. So regular an occurrence I always put a plastic dish-wash container on floor when I do this -- to catch them! Again -- I do my canneluring with oil lub -- and hangin' onto those cannelured bullets can, for my fat fingers, be a challenge....
geo

Bmi48219
02-20-2024, 10:20 PM

The only cannelured brass I see with any regularity is 38 special and occasionally 357 mag. And the varying distances the cannelure is from the case mouth makes it doubtful the purpose is to prevent bullet setback, unless the cartridge is cannelured after loading, to form a crimp ring through the brass indenting the projectile.
Some Remington 38 special has a cannelure 1/8 inch below the case mouth and the bottom of bullet is set well below that. I could see how the depth of case cannelure shown in post #9 pictures may keep the bullet from setting back. And also cause a weak spot in the case. Factory loaded 38 wadcutter brass typically has a cannelure indexing the base of the bullet. Even that pretty much vanishes for any useful purpose after one or two reloads. I’ve tried feeling the cannelure inside the case with a dental pick, there isn’t much left, least-wise enough to restrict the rearward movement of a bullet, let alone provide a stop when seating a bullet.
Just my observations.

uscra112
02-21-2024, 03:25 PM
Does anyone make a tool specifically for rolling lube retaining checkering on the exterior of smooth sided boolits?

Most of us just rolled them on a coarse double-cut file.

uscra112
02-21-2024, 03:29 PM
According to >outpost75< the purpose of the case cannelure on .38 Special and .357 was to locate the bullet upon assembly, since smokeless loads could not do so. The case was sized down and crimped in a subsequent operation.

chambers
02-23-2024, 11:27 AM
I was the one who purchased I believe the last one. Used mine for doing exactly what it was intended for adding cannelure. Nice tool.

ozonebob
02-25-2024, 09:13 PM
Check www.corbins.com and search for cannelure tool. Dave Corbin owns and runs the bullet swaging company, and he sells all the tools required for producing swaged lead and jacketed bullets.

Jim22
02-28-2024, 05:52 PM
I have a C-H tool. It works but I replaced the round ball that is designed to put pressure on the cannelure disc with a longer handle made of wood. It allows putting more pressure on the disc because of added leverage.

Jim