PDA

View Full Version : Engraving

TNsailorman
02-09-2024, 12:08 PM
I have a medium sized brass bell that came from a retired Navy Admiral's estate who once commanded the USS Enterprise. I was a Plank Owner on the commissioning of the USS Kitty Hawk CVA 63 and since this bell is not engraved, I would like to have it engraved with My ships name, hull number and date of commissioning. Maybe even my name and rank. Does anyone know someone who engraves, either Laser or other that would not be expensive. Thanks for help in this matter, James:?:

deltaenterprizes
02-10-2024, 05:42 PM
Try you local trophy shop.
A brass plate with the same information will be a lot cheaper and you can mount it on the bell if dollars are a problem.

TNsailorman
02-11-2024, 02:54 PM
I am going to try the local trophy shop route but I am not sure they can engrave on a rounded surface and I don't want to stick one of those flat plate onto the bell. I worked in a chemical operation department many years ago and we used the flat metal plates engraved to mark the lines as to the chemical the lines contained. The machine we had would not do curved surfaces. I will either get it engraved right or not at all. Thanks for the suggestion and I will try them, james

deltaenterprizes
02-11-2024, 03:09 PM
Chemical etching is another method.
Also laser engraving.

Tatume
02-11-2024, 03:56 PM
Check with your local jeweler's. Some of them do very nice work, by hand with a graver.

TNsailorman
02-11-2024, 11:25 PM
Thanks men, all good suggestions and I will check them out. james

wilecoyote
02-12-2024, 01:51 AM
probably even in your area there are those who sell/produce brass plates to be applied near some ol'style house doorbell on which the engraver writes the name of who lives there.
whoever sells those things can answer you appropriately addressing you to the right person_
btw, stay away from DIY with a dremel hand held electrical engraver, because you could be very disappointed_ (I have two of them, used to engrave a little brass bell hanging from a footrest, on my bike) enough said _

wilecoyote
02-12-2024, 02:47 AM
Try you local trophy shop.
A brass plate with the same information will be a lot cheaper and you can mount it on the bell if dollars are a problem.
^^^^^ this, and I wold add that as bonus the bell will stay untouched and in original conditions_