PDA

View Full Version : Found a Browning Nomad recurve bow today!!!

Tripplebeards
02-07-2024, 09:44 PM
I remember I did a post here looking to trade for a recurve bowl after I restored my dad’s last April and posted some pictures of it here…

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?455337-WTT-for-an-old-recurve-or-long-bow

I walked into the local church store where things are donated and resold here in town today. Always have fun walking in there to see if I can find a deal or something cool old and vintage besides my normal looking for pewter.

To my surprise there was a Browning Nomad recurve at the front counter for $35!!! no cracks in the limbs whatsoever, and the wood looks pristine. It’s 54 pounds and 54 inches. I bet it’s gonna be a beast to pull back.Lol. My dad’s I restored is 47 or 48 pounds which I’m used to pulling so I’m sure 54 is easily done even with a recurve. I used to shoot 78 pounds with my compounds back in the day along with a 50% let off so I’m sure I’ll be up to the task! I did some googling, and from what I’ve read the first number of the serial number is when it was produced. They made them from 66 to 75 from what I can find so mine must be a 1974 production. Can’t wait… can’t wait. I’ll have to get a stick on arrow rest ordered up for it from Amazon since I use the last one on my dad’s bow a few months back. There are no cracks in the fiberglass or the tips. A couple little light superficial scratches on the limbs. I’ll have to put some glass or varnish over. Maybe I can just polish them out who knows.

What do you think???

https://i.imgur.com/bX6okmU.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/VKxtOT6.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/KzmsdU5.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/mgQcosa.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/qEhm8i8.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/Yw0vfHg.jpeg

Electrod47
02-07-2024, 09:47 PM
Those things were a work of Art...my fav was a 60lber back in the day.

HWooldridge
02-07-2024, 09:49 PM
I have a 35 lb in the same model. They are smooth shooting and durable - mine is one of the first ones they made and still going strong.

Tripplebeards
02-07-2024, 09:49 PM
I started going through some of their old vintage online catalogs. Boy, I sure would like to get one of those cool looking multi laminate ones. I went through their old catalogs and it doesn’t even show them listed from 73 through 75 for some reason but when I googled it, some people said they were made through 75. That explains why I have the number four starting on my serial number I would assume?

cwtebay
02-07-2024, 11:23 PM
What an incredible find!!! Congratulations and I look forward to hearing about your exploits!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Rockingkj
02-07-2024, 11:32 PM
Great find! Nice the church ladies were not archers otherwise you wouldn’t have snagged that bargain.

rcslotcar
02-07-2024, 11:57 PM
Great price,, looks really nice. I got to dig out my old stick.

Bazoo
02-08-2024, 01:05 AM
Congratulations, thats a nice score. I'd love to find a nice one myself. I had a Bear Bear Cub #35 when I was a young adult. I loved messing with it. If I had one now, I'd practice multiple times a week if not daily.

MrWolf
02-08-2024, 09:19 AM
Think you did real good. Congrats

skeettx
02-08-2024, 09:52 AM
Sweet, well done

pertnear
02-08-2024, 10:27 AM
Did you haggle 'em down from $35? LOL

What a find & what a bargain!! Tripplebeards, you win the "Lucky Guy" award today!! [smilie=w:

Tripplebeards
02-08-2024, 10:40 AM
Did you haggle 'em down from $35? LOL

What a find & what a bargain!! Tripplebeards, you win the "Lucky Guy" award today!! [smilie=w:

Normally I do but I didn’t even try when I saw that price.lol. I figured it was probably worth a couple hundred bucks so I knew it was a good deal. I just gave it a quick look over to make sure there weren’t any cracks in the limbs and headed right to the cash register. I always get a kick out of it when I’m over there because as soon as I pick something up normally three or more people walk up and and stare at whatever in my hands and usually say something like…oh man! that’s a good deal!… when did been sitting there the whole time. At least over there no one takes stuff out of your cart if you walk away. View of the thrift stores when I shop out of town you walk away from your cart and it gets taken out of it. lol. I was over there right before Christmas last time having fun looking for stuff to buy to throw in the toys for toys for tots bin. Bought a tickle me Elmo electric doll…remember those??? It looked like new ans still worked. I pod a $1 for it. I pressed the button when it was on the shelf to see if it worked . Started talking of course, and asking to be tickled.lol. Four people come literally running down the aisle to ask me if I was buying it when it was in my hand and followed me to the register to make sure I bought it . It was 1992 at Walmart all over again. Ha ha! I think so many people that shop there are used to spending $.50 to $2 on something that as soon as it’s five bucks or more it doesn’t get bought. Luckily I was in the right place at the right time yesterday! When I cashier it out yesterday, it was sitting next to the cash register in a barrel within a couple of feet to begin with. The lady at the cash register said oh my neighbor builds, bow and arrows for a living man. He sure would like that. lol. Good thing she didn’t get a break and make a phone call previously.

The place I bought it from I have “tried” to haggle in the past. They don’t budge a penny on their stuff.

I have scored three or four compounds for $10 to $20 bucks in the last year at different thrift stores but the store I picked this one up at always seems to price certain items a lot higher than others for some reason. It’s like they get an idea in their head and ask the world for some items there. I think they have a new person in the last year and a half or so that must go online and Google stuff instead of just throwing everything out in the shelf for a couple bucks like they used to do.

The only archery related stuff in the store I could find was a vintage tree bark camo arm guard that was a camo pattern i remember from around 1980. No arrows or quiver to be found. I would assume from the condition of the bow it wasn’t shot much so it didn’t surprise me not to see anything with it.

I have to say it does amaze me to see used compound bows all over the place usually for 10 to 20 bucks but when you run into an old recurve, I’ve seen the “asking” price alot higher and “skyrocket” on those. Even with cracked and split limbs. I just like shooting them, but it’s almost impossible to find them these days unless you’re searching on the Internet.

Here’s a cool old link you can click on the catalogs from the years. It doesn’t even show what they were available in 1974. I would assume mine is from 74 because it has a four at the beginning of the serial number? From the price list it also looks like I did OK because they were $15 more at the time! lol

http://www.vintagearchery.org/browning.html

Looks like they were last cataloged in 1972.

I pulled up the ad for each year to look at them. I had a pair of quick quiver style quiver claws just like that there were my dads. I gave them to a needy kid along with a couple of complete archery set ups back 30 years ago. Wish I would’ve kept them now with my dad’s bow. I’ll have to look for another set or two.

https://i.imgur.com/fUbvmjS.jpeg

waksupi
02-08-2024, 12:00 PM
I don't worry about longitudinal cracks on laminated bows. They aren't going to let go. The thing I look for are twisted limbs. If not too bad, I have heated and straightened those.

I was followed a few weeks ago in a local thrift shop. I found a brand new wok for $10. It would have been $60 new. Since I do a lot of stir fry, it was a big improvement over my old one.

Tripplebeards
02-08-2024, 12:04 PM
Yeah, the old Ben Pearson bow that my mom bought for my dad back in 65’ has cracks in it. it has ever since I can remember back in the early 70s I still shoot it to this day and don’t sweat it. I always stop into the thrift stores looking for pewter and end with some good “unexpected” treasures.

Mk42gunner
02-08-2024, 07:53 PM
Funny (not really) how little a quality used bow goes for these days. It doesn't seem to matter if it is a recurve or a compound either.

Robert

Tripplebeards
02-08-2024, 08:03 PM
I’ve noticed if you’re out looking for them, you’re gonna pay an arm and a leg. When I run into them by chance, and not looking, I find them for a heckuva buy. I can remember back in the 80s in the 90s if I bought a compound bow and wanted to upgrade a few years later they weren’t worth a tank of gas in my vehicle outright. Some guys seem to sell them for good money, but I never could. Reminds me of trailer homes you’d pay an arm and a leg for them new and used they were worth the price of scrap.

Johnch
02-09-2024, 05:16 PM
Nice find
A slightly longer than spec string will lower the draw weight
I don't remember what length the Bear recurve has on it
But I think it is 1 inch longer than what the original was and it dropped the draw weight at least 10 lb

John

Tripplebeards
02-09-2024, 07:09 PM
Nice find
A slightly longer than spec string will lower the draw weight
I don't remember what length the Bear recurve has on it
But I think it is 1 inch longer than what the original was and it dropped the draw weight at least 10 lb

John

Sweet thanks for the tip! I don’t mind having fun and shooting that thing at that poundage since I used to shoot almost 80 pounds. I haven’t shot bow arrows for years and had fun in the backyard last year and finally got used the 47 pound recurve snap shooting. It would be nice to be able to hold it back for a few seconds and aim to aim but I don’t think that’s gonna happen.lol. I literally have to give it a good yank to get it all the way back to my 32 inch draw length before I snap shoot it. The 47 pounder said it was set up for 28 inch draw length of I remember right with the other recurve so I’m sure by the time I got it all the way back I was really pulling some poundage! I can say it sure is easier pulling back a compound with a let off and holding it there until the sun goes down versus a recurve that keeps building up poundage the further back i pull it. I’ll definitely have to get a longer string and try it. Just would like to have fun at lighter poundage to pull it back and be able to hold it back and aim like I do with compound bows. It seems like there’s a lot of used old vintage bows in that 30 to 35 pound range and now I know why. It’s because it’s very easily held back. I would assume versus once you get up to the to 50 plus pound versions like I have when at full draw. I’ll have to look for a 25/30 pound target bow next time around.

Hogtamer
02-09-2024, 10:07 PM
They shot good in 1970!

Tripplebeards
02-10-2024, 12:07 PM
How long of a string can I get away with to decrease the pull poundage even more for practicing?

Hogtamer
02-10-2024, 02:03 PM
you need a 50” string, no shorter or longer. It doesn’t work like that. a new rest too

Tripplebeards
02-10-2024, 02:05 PM
The string looks like new yet, so I’m gonna roll with it for now till I shoot it a few times. But yeah, the rest plunger is long gone. Lol. I’ll get another stick on one instead of resting my arrow on the shelf. I don’t think I’ve shot one off the shelf since Cub Scouts in the 70s and was never a fan of it. I could always shoot way more accurate and tighter groups with a stick on arrow rest. I remember the last ones I ordered from last spring I think was a two pack for around four bucks or so on Amazon and they work just fine. I was going to take a trip to Walmart and see if they had one. If not, I’ll have to order some again. I figure I’ll grab a couple of the cheap arrows at Walmart when I’m there in the longest configuration they have they still sell them singly at my store for four or five bucks apiece I think.

Tripplebeards
02-10-2024, 02:16 PM
This is what I did to the other recurve in the post I linked. I use the female side of Velcro. I’ll have to see if I have any more laying around. Does anyone here shoot off the shelf instead of an arrest?

https://i.imgur.com/Y486XhO.jpg

I remember I’ve got to get some better shooting gloves to my fingers went numb for about a month after a couple hour range session in the backyard snap shooting this one.lol

Removing the old arrow rest was a breeze. The plastic was brittle and broke off in several pieces and the foamni scraped off easily all with just my fingernails.

https://i.imgur.com/BlcqgWo.jpg

I will have to do some research on the clear coating over the fiberglass limbs. Its comming off and I can easily scratch it off with my fingernails ass well. What ever Browing used on the wood is still solid.

Hogtamer
02-10-2024, 02:55 PM
55 - 60 ld spine arrows with 125 gr field pts

Tripplebeards
02-10-2024, 07:57 PM
I went over to Walmart for giggles. They didn’t have any stick on arrow rests like the old days.Lol. They had some 31 inch arrows that were 4 and a bucks each that I passed on. They were carbon and 31 inches. It said they were meant for 60 to 75 (with a 350 spline) compound bows. I would assume I need a heavier arrow for a recurve?

Hogtamer
02-10-2024, 10:36 PM
The 31” arrows may work as the longer the arrow the more flexible the shaft. weight on front end of arrow reduces spine a bit. You need at least 125 gr. Total weight of arrow should be about 540 gr including point but those arrows probly weigh closer to 350.

Tripplebeards
02-10-2024, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I definitely need some heavier arrows. I’ll have to check some other shops.

Tripplebeards
02-11-2024, 11:29 AM
I will have to get a stick on arrow rest ordered up. Couldn't wait and wanted to mess with it this morning. I found the velcro and wrapped the shelf with the female soft side with it. I also put a strip down each sode of the limb tipsto dampen the vibration. I have one 33" 2317 xx75 left I ran through a deer a few decades ago I use to practice with in the other recurve. I don't remember the weight or spline of it but it's a heavy arrow inused when I was shooting 78 pounds in my old browing Mirage back in the early 90's. I might have to string it and try it out later toady.

https://i.imgur.com/rXNNtrR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0mmJAFs.jpg

I haven't shot off the shelf since I was a kid a camp. Lol. Have to see how I do. I'll limit my backyard range to 10 yards till I get out somewhere safe to shoot longer ranges. I just made a string I staller in a few seconds out of set line. It's strung. I'll let it set and rest for a while and give it some short stretches to exercise the limbs be for I shoot it later.

david s
02-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Arrow wise you might find feathers work better than plastic fletching off the shelf, plastic tends to kick the back of the arrow off the rest.

Tripplebeards
02-11-2024, 02:38 PM
It shoots pretty nice. I never checked the knocking point and it came loose (of course) on the first shot.Lol. Didn’t have my knocking tool with me so I just leveled the arrow with my eyes where I thought it should be knocked on the string. I have always shot with one finger over my arrow and figured I would try shooting all three fingers under today as well today. I got used to shooting three under on the shelf. I kept hitting the base of bullseye at 10 and 15 yards. If I didn’t have it knocked evenly I could tell by the arrow flight. I could see the arrow deflect of the shelf and strike the target at an angle. Either that or the arrow I’m using is also too heavy Im guessing? Fun bow to shoot! I’ll still get a stick on style arrow rest for it and maybe grab one of carbon arrows from Walmart and see how it shoots with it. I bet I shot it for over an hour nonstop this morning. I can tell you the first five or six shots I was about ready to quit.Lol. My muscle memory didn’t remember pulling back the recurve from last summer that’s for sure! After a couple dozen shots, I just forgot about the “sore pull” in my shoulder and kept shooting. It went away and I was getting smoother pulls as I went on. Definitely a snap shooter at that poundage for me right now. You can pull it back and hold it for maybe a second at the most but it’s nothing I’m gonna hold onto long-term I’ll have to look for a lighter one for practice. I’m still pretty darn accurate with it. I was hitting the bull’s-eye at 15 yards every time even with no knocking point, and guessing where I had to knock the arrow. I just wonder how far a penetration I would get on a deer with a recurve versus a compound. I was maybe getting 6 inches or so of penetration in my block target. I definitely get a lot deeper penetration I compound with that much more weight. I would assume that’s why most guys use the old razor blade looking broadheads with them?

RayinNH
02-11-2024, 10:10 PM
It's a shame the arrow rest is on the wrong side :kidding:

Tripplebeards
02-11-2024, 10:14 PM
It's a shame the arrow rest is on the wrong side :kidding:

You can blame my parents for that. I am left-handed, but shoot right!

RayinNH
02-11-2024, 10:38 PM
I'm kinda mixed up too. I'm left handed. I shoot a bow left handed, a rifle left handed, but I shoot a handgun right handed. I also bat and use a golf club right handed. 323342

Tripplebeards
02-11-2024, 10:41 PM
Bait casters right handed, spinning reels left handed I’m guessing…because I use my right to wind them , shoot guns, pistols, and bows right, write and draw left, throw left handed, baseball bat and golf left handed. I tiller my outboard with my left. Right eye dominant…and I relieve myself with the righty

:redneck:

david s
02-11-2024, 10:54 PM
Shoot bows right handed because that's how they came as a kid but a sling shoot left handed. Always been a lefty.

fiberoptik
02-12-2024, 11:52 PM
I’m a righty in most things but shoot pool left handed and played racquetball both hands. Really confused people!
I still have a recurve bow from the 70’s and had a stick bow but it grew legs at some point.…

cwtebay
02-13-2024, 02:20 AM
I was a lefty until going to school. My first grade teacher (Mrs. Williams) made me stay in from recess until I could write and throw a ball righty. I bat and golf lefty, shoot everything right handed, but my left hand is nearly a full glove size larger and anything strength related I gravitate toward my left.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
02-14-2024, 05:24 PM
I took a drive today out of town and stopped at Fleet Farm. They had 31" 2117 fall stalker arrows with plastic vanes for $5.79 each. I grabbed three to play with. I normally shoot 33" arrows out of my 31.5" saw length compounds. I'll have to make due and roll my elbow out to shorten my draw length. Looks like they are 12.3 grains per inch. So approx 381 grains plus the vanes and nock. I'll call them 400 grain give or take till I put them on my charge scale to test. I have some 125 grain filed points laying around I'll stick in them. I can tell they are alot lighter then the 2317 I was practicing with. I'll wait till my Bear all weather stick on arrow rest shows tomorrow Soni don't rip of my vanes shelf shooting. I forgot to add weight in for the front and rear inserts as well.

https://i.imgur.com/GF01agO.jpg

Mk42gunner
02-14-2024, 08:03 PM
I'm impressed that you actually found aluminum arrows. All I have seen for years around here is carbon fiber. It seems like everyone wants to shoot the very short compounds with aggressive cams; I can understand the stores not carrying stock that doesn't sell, but there have to be some old farts with old bows that like aluminum shafts.

I've shot/lost/ bent more than my share of 31" 2117's over the years. Usually with a 125 point on them.

Robert

Tripplebeards
02-14-2024, 08:42 PM
I have to give Fleet Farm my hats off for actually having aluminum arrows. They had a bunch of loose arrows but this was the only offering that they had in aluminum. I did some googling the last couple days and heard that they called it the xx75 fall stalker arrow. It just didn’t list what size shaft it was. I’ve shot 2117s for decades when I was a kid then worked up to Beaman carbine when they first came out and then ACC arrows for leagues. Then I went to crossbow and hung up the bows unless I am carp shooting or target practicing. They had one other arrow that was 31 inches but I didn’t bother to look at it because it was carbon. All the rest they had there were super short I would assume probably cause they sell them for youth. My 2317 looks and feels like a tank compared to this 2117. It also is about an inch and a half longer. Figure I’ll probably never deer hunt with the bow and mainly use it for target shooting. If I do, I’ll have to get longer arrows so I don’t hit my shelf with a Broadhead. At least I can retire my last 2317 arrow with blood still soaked on the veins from a doe I shot on opening day with it back mid 90s.

Hogtamer
02-15-2024, 12:24 AM
You won’t be drawing 31” with that short recurve. Practice drawing til middle finger touches corner of mouth. 2117 prolly a little stiff so extra length over 28” a good thing. As for knocking point use a square or eyeball it so arrow on string sits 3/8” above rest. Use wraps and knots of dental floss as knock, finish with a drop of crazy glue. Knock arrow underneath homemade knocking point.

MOshooter
02-15-2024, 01:39 AM
Nice find and a great price!

I have a Browning recurve, can't remember the model? I bought it for my Dad early to mid 70's. I really like the older vintage recurve bows, and still have my first recurve from the early 70's. It's a Ben Pearson, I think 45# draw?

Its been a long time since I've shot either bow, I still enjoy seeing them hang around.

Tripplebeards
02-15-2024, 11:49 AM
You won’t be drawing 31” with that short recurve. Practice drawing til middle finger touches corner of mouth. 2117 prolly a little stiff so extra length over 28” a good thing. As for knocking point use a square or eyeball it so arrow on string sits 3/8” above rest. Use wraps and knots of dental floss as knock, finish with a drop of crazy glue. Knock arrow underneath homemade knocking point.

Thanks for the tips. I’ve noticed that it doesn’t seem to pull back as far as I normally do with a compound. I do also roll my elbow out to make sure I’m not gonna string my forearm and it also helps with shortening up my pull length. I started rolling out my elbow out in the mid 90s because everybody stop making compounds with anything over a 30 1/2 draw length. Also, switching to a trigger style release help shorten it up for me too. I was trying to figure out where I needed to be for a knocking point that I’ll save me some googling. I’ll get my bow square out once my stick on arrow shows up today and I get it installed. There are already a couple of metal knocking points on my string that came loose so I’ll probably put one on each side of the knock. Never shot three under for fingers till the other day. When I was googling old, recurves and watching some YouTuber shoot, I figured I’d give it a try. I will shoot one finger over. I’m digging the three fingers under. I shot that way the other day the first time I shot the bow, and the only time I shot the bow, for probably a good hour or more straight till I got used to it. Also helped loosen up my arm muscles. The first five or six times a pull on that bow I didn’t think I was gonna get it done. After about 30 or 40 shots I was smooth sailing the more I pulled it the easier it was to get it all the way back and hold it. I definitely don’t wanna hold it more for a second or two. I’m more of a snap shooter style with recurves. Guessing it’s because I’ve only shot heavy weight ones if I had a lighter poundage recurve I’m sure I would hold it back for a while.

Tripplebeards
02-15-2024, 11:52 AM
Nice find and a great price!

I have a Browning recurve, can't remember the model? I bought it for my Dad early to mid 70's. I really like the older vintage recurve bows, and still have my first recurve from the early 70's. It's a Ben Pearson, I think 45# draw?

Its been a long time since I've shot either bow, I still enjoy seeing them hang around.

The other one I have a picture of above is a Ben Pearson from 65’. It’s a 47 pound pull…at 28 inches if I remember right? It takes a lot of pullto get it back to my long draw length so I believe the poundage builds really quickly past 28 inches. It’s the year my mom and dad got married and my mom bought it for him for Christmas or his birthday I guess she doesn’t remember and neither does he. It’s been sitting in the corner for decades, and I went and refinished it last year for him and we had fun shooting it. Been looking for one for me ever since. He has cracks in the outside of the limbs, but neither of us seem to worry about it and it still shoots great. I’ve shot some small game with it and varmints over the years. Never took it deer hunting just because I always liked having a pin sight to make sure I’m aiming. I might have to look for a stick on vintage pin site. Been wanting one for a long time.

quilbilly
02-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Be careful of the type of string you get for it. The new type of fast flight strings that replace the Dacron used on bows of the 60's and 70's will shatter the old style fiberglass bows when released occasionally. I have been trying to put back into service several of my old recurves of the 70's and 80's so took them to a pro who services the olympic games competitors to see if they thought they were safe. They said yes but only with the old style Dacron strings. My bows are from Wing and Yamaha when I competed to get to the 76 games. Like your Browning, those Wing bows were a work of art as well. As I ease myself back into target archery (shoulder issues), I have already found that the new fangled graphite arrows shoot just fine in the old bows using newly made old fashion Dacron strings. Some pro shops will make those strings for you custom if the guys there are old enough to understand and remember. Shooting without training wheels is the best!

Tripplebeards
02-15-2024, 08:47 PM
I appreciate the tip. I remember reading about that with the new strings. I would assume they must not absorb a lot of the shock and they also make the bow shoot faster from what I read, whether it’s true or not. Both my strings came with the bows. My dad‘s string probably got bought in the 70s or the 80s and still looks like new the other bow I shot the other day the string came with it. It looks like an old string from the 70s or 80s if I had to guess but it’s in really good shape. My stick on arrest still hasn’t shown so kept myself busy wrapping trees in the backyard since the warm spell has melted the ice. And two big giant beavers have been coming up on the bank getting ready to chew on the trees, holding up the riverbank in the backyard. I cleaned out seven big beaver last year and a week and I haven’t seen any till about the middle of summer. The water went down far enough that they were leaving the trees alone. I figured I would get them wrapped in case we get high water again this year. Had 2 beavers slapping their tails while I was wrapping trees an hour ago watching me. One had to be 80+ pounds and the other one was about 50 to 60. I had an a brown Carhartt coat and was raking the bark making noise putting on metal fencing around them so I would assume they probably thought I was a beaver in there territory, chewing on trees. They were having a fit slapping their tails and watching me. I figured I’d leave them alone this year as long as they don’t chew on my trees. Time will tell if there’s a bite marks through my fencing…game on…and the traps will be but out again.

quilbilly
02-15-2024, 08:59 PM
The new strings are definitely faster and apparently a step beyond the kevlar strings that replaced the Dacron. They do transmit a lot more shock to the bow limbs from what the olympic pros told me. I have seen an exploded bow before (not mine) using kevlar string and they do throw shrapnel. My old competition recurve bows for FITA tournaments were a heavy 40# but now in my 70's, I am starting with a fairly cheap 30# recurve until the strange noises my shoulder makes recede (they are but slowly). The pro's were horrified that anyone would shoot a bow of 40# in Olympic trials but I was strapping 25 year old then. Who knew I would live this long? Watching the arrow fly to the 90m target is a spiritual thing.

Tripplebeards
02-15-2024, 10:25 PM
You have probably 20 years on me. I’m sure a 30 pound recurve would be awesome. I would love to pull the string back and be able to hold it for a few seconds to aim instead of snap shooting heavier pound recurves. I’m Still on the hunt for a lighter recurve.

quilbilly
02-16-2024, 08:36 PM
I bought that inexpensive 30# recurve at Sportsman's Warehouse last summer when I realized my shoulder wouldn't handle my old 40# recurve target bows let alone my hunting recurves. The brand is Fleetwood archery made in Utah I think and cost about $100. It shoots pretty well and doesn't stack much on the draw. The string definitely is not a fast flight type which is good and I bought half a dozen of the less expensive graphite arrows to get started but have plenty of aluminum arrows once I graduate. The draw should be about 33# at your length. So far I am up to about 10 seconds before releasing and I can last about 5 ends (20 arrows) before needing a break. Before knocking an arrow, I used those 6 foot latex resistance bands doubled up to help me prepare my muscles and shoulder for a bow. BTW - Our local physical therapist sells those latex resistance bands in bulk for about a buck a foot.

Tripplebeards
02-16-2024, 10:12 PM
I’ll have to check them out. I see a lot of cheapies on Amazon. I can hold back that 54 pounder at full extended draw for about 2 seconds at max before I let er fly.

Tripplebeards
02-18-2024, 03:17 PM
Bear all weather rest on. I peeled off the velcro and reapplied along with cutting it down. Got out my knocking square. I'll set the knocks shortly and give my new rest and arrows a go.

https://i.imgur.com/6XoBYwA.jpg

Tripplebeards
02-18-2024, 04:41 PM
Not the prettiest knocking points but they are rock solid. The metal knocks on the string would not stay put. The red gunk inside them wore out. That tells me the string is pretty old and I'll have to get one for it eventually. I couldn't find any dental floss around the house so I used some set line string that always phrase and comes apart. Finally found something it was good for. I separated one of the strands and used it to tie knocking points. I set the top one at 3/8 in as advised. The stuff is still thick even with one strand and you can see a knot where I melted it but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. They're solid as a rock in place.

https://i.imgur.com/Vcghy9a.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nTLFiOV.jpg

I need to find an old style stick on bow sight now!!!!!! I'm getting excited!

quilbilly
02-18-2024, 07:16 PM
I used thicker fishing rod winding thread for my knocking points and sealed it with clear nail polish. I made my knocking threads long enough that all three fingers were on the rod winding thread. Although all my old bows have fixtures for sights, I am getting back to basics and shooting gap method instinctive. It is very satisfying to shoot that way as well as fast. In shooting range "bottle cap" competitions at 15 meters timed, the guys with sights could only get half as many arrows off. I did those speed shoots at my club in Japan in those days and I usually won but when I went up against the Zen monk shooters at the temple using the same traditional Japanese long bows used in horseback archery, I didn't have a prayer.

Tripplebeards
02-18-2024, 07:38 PM
Seems to be flying straight. I shot for a good hour straight again. Can't really shoot over 15 yards in the back yard.

https://i.imgur.com/rcvId0o.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Lg2OJEK.jpg

Definitely getting deeper penatration and straight arrow flight vs the 2317. Getting use to holding the 54 pounds plus all the way back for a few seconds with long draw length. First couple shots I felt sore again. After that I was smooth sailing after stretching out my muscles from shooting. I use to shoot league for years with compound. Robin Hooded alot of arrows. It would take alot lighter recurve bow for me to get consistently accurate I'm guessing. A good 30 to 35 recurve will be in my future to just have some fun target practicing with. Just want something a little lighter I can hold back for a minute or two without fatigue.

Hogtamer
02-18-2024, 08:11 PM
Wow, that appears to be a lot of brace height for a 54” bow. Should be about 7.5” from back of bow to string.

Tripplebeards
02-18-2024, 08:13 PM
I never did measure it I’ll have to. I’m sure it’s the wrong string then. I never measured it after I strung it. I just been out having fun shooting.

elmacgyver0
02-18-2024, 08:22 PM
My parents bought me a Bear Recurve back in the 60s it is #45 lb. I never did much with it as it was hard to pull back for me.
I made an arrow quiver for it from a kit Tandy and hand tooled it.
Still have the bow and quiver and a dozen wood shafted arrows, all but one arrow is still in new condition.
I tend to hang on to things and not use them.

Tripplebeards
02-18-2024, 08:29 PM
Wow, that appears to be a lot of brace height for a 54” bow. Should be about 7.5” from back of bow to string.

It's 7.5"

https://i.imgur.com/eTj9jEQ.jpg

The Nomad is only 54" so I am guessing it looks like a wider brace height than what it is.

Tripplebeards
02-18-2024, 08:31 PM
My parents bought me a Bear Recurve back in the 60s it is #45 lb. I never did much with it as it was hard to pull back for me.
I made an arrow quiver for it from a kit Tandy and hand tooled it.
Still have the bow and quiver and a dozen wood shafted arrows, all but one arrow is still in new condition.
I tend to hang on to things and not use them.

We might have to horse trade if you decide you want to get rid of it!

Tripplebeards
02-18-2024, 08:36 PM
I think the first two letters in my serial number are AE and not 4E because I can’t find them in the literature after 72 or 73. The first number of mine is a one so I’m guessing it was made in 71?

Hogtamer
02-18-2024, 11:03 PM
Good!

GOPHER SLAYER
02-19-2024, 03:23 PM
I have a recurve made by Beare. It is called the Grisly.It was made in 1953 and it doesn't have a crack anywhere. I also have a Ben Pearson called the Deerslayer and it is even older. T only cracks it has are in the leather that covers the grip. I will try to post pictures later.

Tripplebeards
02-19-2024, 08:09 PM
I have a recurve made by Beare. It is called the Grisly.It was made in 1953 and it doesn't have a crack anywhere. I also have a Ben Pearson called the Deerslayer and it is even older. T only cracks it has are in the leather that covers the grip. I will try to post pictures later.

Going to make me drool. Had to do some remodeling today, so I never got a chance to shoot again.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-22-2024, 04:16 PM
I am sorry but I am unabled to post pictures. My daughter, who is a computer wizz came over to help me and she couldn't do it either. It is a beautiful bow.

elmacgyver0
02-22-2024, 04:38 PM
Not so good picture of my Bear Kodiak Hunter and quiver.323714

Tripplebeards
02-22-2024, 04:58 PM
Not so good picture of my Bear Kodiak Hunter and quiver.323714

That’s an awesome looking bow and a sexy looking quiver!

MOshooter
02-22-2024, 09:24 PM
The other one I have a picture of above is a Ben Pearson from 65’. It’s a 47 pound pull…at 28 inches if I remember right? It takes a lot of pullto get it back to my long draw length so I believe the poundage builds really quickly past 28 inches. It’s the year my mom and dad got married and my mom bought it for him for Christmas or his birthday I guess she doesn’t remember and neither does he. It’s been sitting in the corner for decades, and I went and refinished it last year for him and we had fun shooting it. Been looking for one for me ever since. He has cracks in the outside of the limbs, but neither of us seem to worry about it and it still shoots great. I’ve shot some small game with it and varmints over the years. Never took it deer hunting just because I always liked having a pin sight to make sure I’m aiming. I might have to look for a stick on vintage pin site. Been wanting one for a long time.

I thought the first picture looked like a Ben Pearson, what a great story behind the BP and you did a nice job on restoration and glad your Dad enjoyed it.

My parents gave me my BP for Christmas, probably 73'?
The BP wasn't my original bow under the tree, Dad went to string it up Christmas morning and it snapped. So we picked out the BP after the return.
I bought my Dad the Browning, probably 74' or 75' used, from a local newspaper for sale ad. I did take a look at the Browning and it's a Nomad Stalker 1
Those are some great looking recurves you have, enjoy!

Here's a few pictures of the Browning and BP

MOshooter
02-22-2024, 09:28 PM
For some reason it wouldn't allow me to posts anymore photos?

Tripplebeards
02-22-2024, 09:53 PM
I post pictures through Imgur. If you’re doing it to our pictures, they only let you do so many of them. Nice looking bow!

MOshooter
02-22-2024, 09:59 PM
I post pictures through Imgur. If you’re doing it to our pictures, they only let you do so many of them. Nice looking bow!

Thank you
I appreciate the information with the pictures, I didn't know that.

Tripplebeards
02-23-2024, 11:57 PM
I forgot I had a picture in my phone of the Ben Peason of my dad’s I restored. Also, my first bow. I forgot the name of it but it’s also a Ben Pearson. Needs a string. There was a little white plastic dowel that use to stick out on both sides but broke off over the years. Ended up buying a Bear black bear recurve around 80’/81’ or so with my paper route money for around $69. That one is long gone. My buddy gave me his 91’ version of it last year. I refinished the wood on that along with my dad’s recurve. My new browning is sitting next to it. Also, my 1984, 7600 chambered in 30-06 is buried in the back. Time to get that one back in the safe because deer hunting was been over for a while.

https://i.imgur.com/XhoHVN5.jpg

MOshooter
02-25-2024, 12:20 AM
I forgot I had a picture in my phone of the Ben Peason of my dad’s I restored. Also, my first bow. I forgot the name of it but it’s also a Ben Pearson. Needs a string. There was a little white plastic dowel that use to stick out on both sides but broke off over the years. Ended up buying a Bear black bear recurve around 80’/81’ or so with my paper route money for around $69. That one is long gone. My buddy gave me his 91’ version of it last year. I refinished the wood on that along with my dad’s recurve. My new browning is sitting next to it. Also, my 1984, 7600 chambered in 30-06 is buried in the back. Time to get that one back in the safe because deer hunting was been over for a while.

https://i.imgur.com/XhoHVN5.jpg

Your Ben Pearson looks brand new, great job!

quilbilly
03-01-2024, 08:31 PM
Yesterday, I talked to an old friend who wanted to return my Martin 45# longbow to me. I loaned it to him some years ago for the Nevada bow season but he never used it or the dozen fine cedar arrows. Obviously it is not a takedown. He went down to UPS to ship it and they estimated it would cost $280!!!! For that amount of money I could fly down to Las Vegas on Allegiant from Bellingham Wa. to pick it up and fly back with money to spare. We will meet in the middle sometime this year maybe after NCBS and catch a few trout, too.

Tripplebeards
03-01-2024, 08:39 PM
Yup, that’s ridiculous! I just sold my savage 220 slug gun and it cost me 75 bucks to ship it. I went FedEx ground the gun was 55 in the ammo was 20 to ship.

Tripplebeards
03-03-2024, 11:02 PM
Think I'm going to try and make some turkey feather fetching. I have some wings in my freezer.

Tripplebeards
06-07-2024, 04:44 PM
Iightening struck twice!!!!!! Look what found today!!!! Salivation army find. It was marked $29 and I ended up getting it for $20!!!! To bad someone put two screws in it for quiver. I'll have to see if I can plug the holes with wood and tru oil over them. The bow looks like brand new. It has a thick coat of what looks like bees wax over it for some reason. It was made for 1 year in 1969. It's It's 45 pound 28" draw. It's a smooth draw!!! I'll have to clean it up and get a new string.

https://i.imgur.com/Q9TkVrX.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/4hUajxn.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/R1S9UoG.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/MgpDFMs.jpeg

You can see the wax build up on the limbs. Once I clean it off later I'll post another pic. I just about cried when. I saw someone put a couple of screws in it for quiver. Sure a wood dowel or or some other wood I can fill them in with. It said Babinga in the 1969 ad. Maybe a blow drier will melt it off.

Here is the 1969 ad. Looks they it was made one year and then called the game master in 1970.

https://i.imgur.com/mkc4Iir.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/XZumkmk.jpeg

I see my old pictures. I originally posted a few months ago are no longer up. I think Imgur deleted a bunch of mine.