PDA

View Full Version : shooting groups in wind

porthos
02-07-2024, 05:41 PM
going to the range friday to test loads. shooting 9mm from front rest at 25 yds. will a 10-20 wind (forcasted) affect group size. lets say that it is a crosswind??

challenger_i
02-07-2024, 05:59 PM
10-20mph? That's a light breeze in these parts... I bet if you were to set up a wind block at your shooting station (to help reduce the wind joggling your shooting arm) you would not notice much difference in your grouping.

M-Tecs
02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Per the Federal Ballistic Calculator with 124 ball and full value 10 mph wind the drift is 0.3" at 25 yards. If you shoot on the low wind side of 10 mph and the high side of 20 mph the drift distance is 0.3". If you are shooting 1-inch groups, it's an issue. If you are shooting 3" or 4" you won't notice.

imashooter2
02-07-2024, 06:49 PM
Per the Federal Ballistic Calculator with 124 ball and full value 10 mph wind the drift is 0.3" at 25 yards. If you shoot on the low wind side of 10 mph and the high side of 20 mph the drift distance is 0.3". If you are shooting 1-inch groups, it's an issue. If you are shooting 3" or 4" you won't notice.

I was just going to say, wind will always affect group size. The question is whether or not you can tell the difference. Your answer was more diplomatic.

And for the record, I can’t tell the difference. :oops:

243winxb
02-07-2024, 07:03 PM
No problem benchrested. Shooting with 1 hand like in Precision pistol competitions, big issue for me.

M-Tecs
02-07-2024, 07:05 PM
I was just going to say, wind will always affect group size. The question is whether or not you can tell the difference. Your answer was more diplomatic.

And for the record, I can’t tell the difference. :oops:

Thanks. Being called diplomatic is not something I am normally labeled as.

higgins
02-07-2024, 07:46 PM
I've never worried much about wind at 25 yds. unless it's very strong. Where I shoot now the pistol ranges are bermed so wind is even less of a factor.

charlie b
02-08-2024, 10:43 AM
When it gets up to 20mph (especially with gusts) I find the wind pushes on me enough to be frustrating, even sitting at a bench.

country gent
02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
If your testing loads pick a condition and watch for it your groups may not be zeroed but the groups will be good to tell the loads potential. When testing loads I will set so the groups are 4-6" off point of aim. Couple reasons 1 I dont change the aiming point as shots are fired. Depending on target size I can shoot 4-8 groups before going down range again. This is easier with rifles and scopes than iron sights and handguns. But it works and can be a time energy saver.

The big thing is to watch the conditions and shoot in the same

Berms on the range can actually cause odd patterns on the range I shoot the berms are tree lined with an opening just in fron of the targets. wind will at times make a swirl down the range I have had times when my wind flag at 100 yds was blowing straight up.Berms raised firing points and other things can affect wind causing different patterns.

rintinglen
02-08-2024, 11:24 PM
No problem bench rested. Shooting with 1 hand like in Precision pistol competitions, big issue for me.

Amen, brother! Amen. My groups last week were double what I normally shoot in our club National match. (And they're plenty big enough without any help from Mother Nature.)

Jtarm
02-16-2024, 12:12 PM
My problem is with the targets.

My club uses 2x2 frames for the targets where the legs fit into PVC pipes sunk in the ground.

There’s lots of play between the legs & tube. Doesn’t take much breeze to move the frame.

I pick up the bigger splinters left by the bozos who shoot up the frames and shim the legs as tight as I can.

This is an old 25/50 BE range that the club basically converted into rifle to accommodate the AR blasters. It has ambi concrete benchs designed for rifle rests. They’re a PITA for handguns because they’re too narrow at the rear and too short at the front. I have to sit all the way to the rear with barely enough room.

I guess 25 & 50 yard pistol shooters are rare these days. I can’t remember the last time I wasn’t the only pistolero on the firing line.

imashooter2
02-17-2024, 02:20 AM
Seems like an easy fix. Bring your own frames and a 1/4 sheet of plywood.

If you don’t want to bring your own frames, buy 6 pack of rubber door stops and throw them in your range bag.