PDA

View Full Version : Any Winchester 92 owners have this issue?

Bridger
02-06-2024, 10:21 AM
John Browning must have had a callus at the base of his right thumb?

Just kidding (maybe). I am wondering if anyone out there gets that joke? I just purchased a new, Miroku made, Winchester 92 in 45 Colt. First time I have ever handled a lever action based on this (or the 1886) design.

The first time I cycled the lever I got a nasty cut at the base of my right thumb. Turns out that the right side locking lug has a rather sharp point at the lower rear corner. Whenever I crank the lever in a natural (for me) fashion, I get whacked in the thumb so I have to always be conscience of how I cycle the rifle (which kind of sucks).

Anyone else ever have this issue? I am wondering if maybe I should just take a metal file to that corner and round it off?

On a positive note, this rifle otherwise handles fantastic and the action is super smooth.

Thanks,
Mike

HWooldridge
02-06-2024, 10:54 AM
I have owned several 92 rifles but I use my thumb in the lever to open the action then slap it shut with my fingers - both movements are done with an open hand. I do not stick my fingers inside the lever.

beltfed
02-06-2024, 11:23 AM
Never a problem with my first year production, original M92.
And, I do put my three fingers inside the lever as I "crank in" another round.
beltfed/arnie

pworley1
02-06-2024, 11:29 AM
I have never had that issue with an original or the Miroku models.

Eddie Southgate
02-06-2024, 11:42 AM
No issue with my 1911 version. I would use a fine cut file and then a stone to take the edge off so it is not sharp.

Bridger
02-06-2024, 12:10 PM
Thanks,

Has anyone noticed if any part of their lever hand even comes into contact with the locking lug or if the lug is sharp? Maybe I need to just change the way I cycle the action but old habits die hard. Or maybe I do just need to disassemble the rifle and file away at that one corner until it is no longer sharp.

Mike

HWooldridge
02-06-2024, 12:35 PM
I had to check - so I went inside and worked the action on my 92. My hand never comes anywhere close to the locking lugs.

Regardless, I think stoning the sharp corners won't hurt anything.

Bridger
02-06-2024, 12:58 PM
I had to check - so I went inside and worked the action on my 92. My hand never comes anywhere close to the locking lugs.

Regardless, I think stoning the sharp corners won't hurt anything.

Yup. I think that is the way I need to go.
Thanks

John Taylor
02-06-2024, 01:21 PM
can't be as bad as an M1 Garand thumb. I have had several 92s and never had a problem.

FergusonTO35
02-06-2024, 03:42 PM
I keep my thumb well clear of the action when cycling the lever, only use the two middle fingers of my dominant hand to work the lever. I have big fingers so I can't shove all three fingers in the loop.

Bazoo
02-06-2024, 04:39 PM
I have a Winchester 92, and an 1886 made by Miroku, and I do not have this problem. I'd certainly take some sharp edges off though if I did.

Sam Sackett
02-06-2024, 06:51 PM
If your thumb is hitting anything when you cycle the action, you need to retrain your thumb. I shoot cowboy action with a 92 and keep my thumb out away from the action.
But you should also take that sharp edge off for safety sake.

Sam Sackett

pietro
02-06-2024, 08:56 PM

Get stoned, not filed..... :bigsmyl2:

Bazoo
02-06-2024, 08:58 PM
I had my wife cycle my 92 earlier to see if her untrained hands would get near the bolt. Nope. I had a heck of a time forcing my thumb up around the bolt when cycling too.

I went ahead and shot a couple mags out of it... yep, they are smooth and fast.

indian joe
02-07-2024, 05:20 AM
I have owned several 92 rifles but I use my thumb in the lever to open the action then slap it shut with my fingers - both movements are done with an open hand. I do not stick my fingers inside the lever.

its called a finger lever in the old catalogs for a reason - intended to be "thrown" open and flicked shut with the middle joint of a couple of fingers

Bridger
02-07-2024, 02:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Very helpful. For clarification, I am getting cut right a the very base of my thumb. I am guessing that, never owning a 92 before, perhaps I have developed some bad habits when it comes to operating the lever although they never seemed like such until now. I will have to experiment with some of the suggestions here. Be that as it may, I am a little disappointed that this rifle left the factory with such a sharp surface that is exposed to human flesh whenever the action is open.

I wonder if my rifle is an anomaly in this regard?

Thanks again everyone.

indian joe
02-08-2024, 03:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Very helpful. For clarification, I am getting cut right a the very base of my thumb. I am guessing that, never owning a 92 before, perhaps I have developed some bad habits when it comes to operating the lever although they never seemed like such until now. I will have to experiment with some of the suggestions here. Be that as it may, I am a little disappointed that this rifle left the factory with such a sharp surface that is exposed to human flesh whenever the action is open.

I wonder if my rifle is an anomaly in this regard?

Thanks again everyone.

hopefully an anomaly -- regardless of lever operating method I would stone that sharp edge until it wont cut anymore

John Taylor
02-08-2024, 11:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CUb8iza_iuc Maybe this will help.

Bridger
02-08-2024, 02:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CUb8iza_iuc Maybe this will help.

It would except that is me in the video! Just kidding. I wish! Anyway, he is cheating. That's an 1873, not an 1892 so no blood drawn! :)

John Taylor
02-08-2024, 05:13 PM
It would except that is me in the video! Just kidding. I wish! Anyway, he is cheating. That's an 1873, not an 1892 so no blood drawn! :)

notice where his thumb is?

Bridger
02-08-2024, 05:32 PM
notice where his thumb is?

Yup. But I still think that, not matter your personal technique, you should not draw blood when you cycle the action. I will be filing/stoning that corner off.

dangt
02-09-2024, 09:09 AM
Bridger, I also have been bitten or scraped by the locking lug on my Miroku '92. I only had Marlins before the Miroku . I had to figure it was just my own bad way of opening the lever. My hits have been from a single corner of the right side lug.

Bridger
02-09-2024, 12:48 PM
Bridger, I also have been bitten or scraped by the locking lug on my Miroku '92. I only had Marlins before the Miroku . I had to figure it was just my own bad way of opening the lever. My hits have been from a single corner of the right side lug.

Sorry to hear that, but on the other hand I am glad that it is not just me. That is exactly where I am getting the issue. Did you just adjust your technique or have you smoothed out that corner? I have been using lever guns for 30 years. Marlins and Winchesters both. Never had any issues at all until my fist model 92 (never owned an 1886). After all this time, it will be difficult for me to change an old habit (notice I did not say a bad habit). In fact, I was handling the 92 the other day and caught the base of my thumb on the lug again. At least it did not draw blood this time so maybe I am getting a little more used to it.

Bazoo
02-09-2024, 02:49 PM
That clears things up a bit. For some reason I was thinking you were hitting the bolt, not the locking lug. I can see how you'd might hit that, even though I don't hit it myself. I'd have no issues taking a sharp corner or edge off the locking lug, It's in the white anyway.

dangt
02-13-2024, 09:38 AM
Sorry for the delay. I have just lived with it. It seems to happen when I operate the lever with the carbine not shouldered. I have not been scraped when the gun is shouldered. So, I guess my answer is I've just adjusted to it and try to think about what I'm doing.

If I have a relapse I'll probably stone the corner, breaking its edge.

Bridger
02-13-2024, 06:01 PM
Sorry for the delay. I have just lived with it. It seems to happen when I operate the lever with the carbine not shouldered. I have not been scraped when the gun is shouldered. So, I guess my answer is I've just adjusted to it and try to think about what I'm doing.

If I have a relapse I'll probably stone the corner, breaking its edge.

Yup. I have already stoned mine.

oldbear1950
02-18-2024, 01:05 AM
I had two granddads that were old town marshalls in Oklahoma during the oil boom of the 1920s and 1930s. One carried an old Winchester 92 and the other an old Marlin lever gun, and they taught us to shoot those lever guns, and I never had my thumb come anywhere close to the bolt or locking lugs when working the action. But have to admit that our granddads carried their lever guns for years, and used them every day for a very long life.

Bazoo
02-18-2024, 02:31 AM
I had two granddads that were old town marshalls in Oklahoma during the oil boom of the 1920s and 1930s. One carried an old Winchester 92 and the other an old Marlin lever gun, and they taught us to shoot those lever guns, and I never had my thumb come anywhere close to the bolt or locking lugs when working the action. But have to admit that our granddads carried their lever guns for years, and used them every day for a very long life.

That's a great story, thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear some more or see some pictures of those guns and or granddads.

Ken 45LC
02-19-2024, 08:41 AM
Wow, never heard of that problem before. I have about a half dozen 92’s and none have that trouble. I wouldn’t hesitate to stone or file it down, after all you did buy it to use didn’t you?
Good luck with it.