PDA

View Full Version : Pea shooter????

abunaitoo
02-05-2024, 11:48 PM
Anyone have plans on how to make a pea shooting gun????
Having problems with pigeons.
We can't eliminate them, but can chase them away.
Want to make something that would use frozen peas.
That way I don't have little airsoft balls all over the place.
Guy I know uses a Nerf water ball shooter.
To much trouble with preparing the balls.
I'm sure someone here has some experience with these, or some ideas.

SSGOldfart
02-05-2024, 11:52 PM
frozen peas might be to hard and kill them?? you might try cream of wheat with just a primer

dverna
02-06-2024, 12:05 AM
Use biodegradable airsoft BBs

.429&H110
02-06-2024, 05:49 AM
I have had some great results with a wrist rocket vs coyotes.
We have abundant Inca doves that are not much of a threat.
Rocks will break windows far away, but I suppose I could throw anything biodegradable.
I will have to try a frozen pea. They would hear it whizzing over their heads for sure.
Big frozen blueberries would be a better caliber, airsoft pellets, dog kibbles...
My $8 Walmart wrist rocket is not a toy for children. They're illegal in NJ.

lavenatti
02-06-2024, 06:18 AM
Those mini ice cube trays we use to stand up boolits for powder coating make good ice cube ammo for a slingshot.
Nothing to clean up.

Wayne Smith
02-06-2024, 09:22 AM
I got a bunch (actually 3000!) biodegradable clay balls, .30 in diameter, for my wrist rocket. Defending my blueberries last year I hit at least four bluejays, three cardinals, and one rabbit. All the birds flew away, but they tended to stay away. The first time I hit the rabbit he humped his back and didn't move. The second time he took three steps. The third shot hit just in front of his nose, putting junk in his face. Then he ran. These are not fatal.

Sasquatch-1
02-06-2024, 09:48 AM
Would a paintball gun be too strong? Amazon sells pepper balls. They're not cheap, but they would leave a residue for a while that might keep the birds from coming back.

WRideout
02-06-2024, 10:11 AM
There are felt cleaning pellets that are used in airguns. At short range, maybe scare them off?

Wayne

georgerkahn
02-06-2024, 10:24 AM

Just an idea... I few years back I kind of got into WAX BULLET making and shooting, in .38 and .45 calibres. Get some paraffin -- sold in supermarkets -- and melt it -- I use a metal coffee can, cut down to ~ 1 1/2" high. I put this in a pan full of water on stove -- kind of making a double boiler (I worry greatly vis chances of melted wax catching fire!!!) and when there's about 1/4" to 3/8" melted, simply remove coffee can and let wax cool. One needs drill the case head -- I drill it 1/4" to enable a 1/4" dowel to pass what was the primer pocket. Now -- with this tool, insert mouth end in wax, wiggle a teeny tad ;(, and remove your wax bullet. The dowel is used to extract. To make your cartridge, NO POWDER!!!, but a good primer is needed. Just take the extracted wax bullet you made and insert it into the primed case.
NOT to be taken lightly -- you can Google and check out a lot of Cowboy Quick Draw and similar -- there is a respectable range with remarkable accuracy!
Just a thought...
geo

racepres
02-06-2024, 10:36 AM
FWIW I shoot alot of Flying Mice, with Rice...Uncooked...loaded just like home built Shot Cartridges! No Holes in barn...very dead critters..If I stay close. I feel like any projectile that will damage a Critter...will probably damage my Barn...No Bueno!

Wolfdog91
02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Airsoft sniper rifle might be something
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240206/0f515caac5faade4c77d58b2dda8a341.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

waksupi
02-06-2024, 01:01 PM
If they are roosting in a building, go out on a dark night, and shine a bright flashlight at them. They will fly right to you. Stuff them in a burlap sack, and cook them like quail or doves. It's a lot easier if you have an assistant. I've caught hundreds this way.

gwpercle
02-06-2024, 06:06 PM
How about them frozen peas and good ole fashioned ... Sling Shot !
Daisy makes one called a modle B52 is $13.98 ... their model 8172 is $8.50 ...
at wally Mart ... Daisy has several models and prices to choose from ...

A New Slingshot ... Relive some of your youth!

I got mine taken away when my little brother bent over , at the far end of the driveway ... I had to take that long shot ... never dreamed I could Hit Him ...But I
Hit him in the butt and he started crying ... he was faking it !!!
Gary

elmacgyver0
02-06-2024, 06:18 PM

Some Paradice.

Sasquatch-1
02-07-2024, 09:23 AM
If you re-read the OP's original post, it sounds like they are not allowed to kill the birds.

HWooldridge
02-07-2024, 09:58 AM
I have had some great results with a wrist rocket vs coyotes.
We have abundant Inca doves that are not much of a threat.
Rocks will break windows far away, but I suppose I could throw anything biodegradable.
I will have to try a frozen pea. They would hear it whizzing over their heads for sure.
Big frozen blueberries would be a better caliber, airsoft pellets, dog kibbles...
My $8 Walmart wrist rocket is not a toy for children. They're illegal in NJ.

That's what I use on the local buzzards when they perch on the house. I don't want to kill them but make those stinkers exit the premises in a hurry - and I just fire pea gravel in the wrist rocket. One thump or even a near miss will make them fly away.

.429&H110
02-07-2024, 11:48 AM
+1!
I just tried some ice cubes out of the wrist rocket.

Genius!
Ice cubes might break a window though...

waksupi
02-07-2024, 12:15 PM
If you re-read the OP's original post, it sounds like they are not allowed to kill the birds.

It doesn't do much good trying to relocate a pigeon!

Tripplebeards
02-07-2024, 12:17 PM
We have hawks, owls, and eagles in the backyard. My dog is about the size of a rabbit I obviously can’t shoot them, or at them, or I would go to jail. I bought a case of “adult snappers”. They look like a little black cat but you have to throw them on the ground and they are super loud. Of course it sounds like somebody shooting at them but nobody’s called the cops yet and they all takeoff after I snap one on the ground. I’m sure you could probably put one in a slingshot attached to something hard then when it connects with something hard it’s gonna make a loud bang. I had an eagle come down, grabbed my dog, and flew off with it when I was a kid. I happened two years ago to the neighbors. Luckily their other “big” dog was in the yard and jumped up nailing the eagle in the air with the puppy knocking it out of its claws. If Ben Franklen got his way and made the turkey the National bird I would have had a war with the eagles. Needless to say this time of year, I walk out with my dog every time it’s outside until the ice completely goes out. The bald eagles come here by the hundreds to fish through the ice on all the dead shad that didn’t survive the winter.

How about one of those carnivore 30 Cal brake guns? I don’t know if you could fit a Pea in a 30 Cal. lol

SSGOldfart
02-09-2024, 08:58 PM
Are try a pump bb gun without the BB's it just pushes air but makes enough noise to run them off, works great on blue jays and cats too

country gent
02-09-2024, 09:32 PM
Garden hose with a fine stream nozzle works also.

shooterg
02-11-2024, 11:54 PM
I've seen kids at the lake with some water guns that shoot a good distance.

Big Tom
02-16-2024, 10:54 AM
Instead of frozen peas, you could go with dried ones and try to find a pea shooter...

Recycled bullet
02-16-2024, 11:22 AM
I agree with all who said the wrist rocket.

I like how adaptable it can be.
I like to shoot pots and pans at distance with lead balls. The banging scares the heck out of the birds and is good practice.
Go shoot a cookie sheet and see how loud it is. :-)
On the low end you can use dog food and frozen food, small dirt clods or pebbles.

And on the high end if you need to kill something 50-70 caliber lead balls will do it.

dale2242
02-17-2024, 12:38 PM
If it is legal where you live, use an 17 or 22 cal air rifle.
Save them to eat.