PDA

View Full Version : Reloading while distracted

jim 44-40
02-05-2024, 08:48 AM
In my case,I was distracted by hip pain.Still wanting to load 38 Special I kept going till I double checked scale. Here I was @ 5 grs of Titegroup which is near max for 110 jhp. Scale reading should have been set @ 4.0 grs. Thank goodness only had 9 rounds loaded.

JSnover
02-05-2024, 08:50 AM
Doesn't take much. No phone or TV when I'm loading.

Recycled bullet
02-05-2024, 09:29 AM
Glad that you caught it before it could become dangerous

Rapier
02-05-2024, 09:35 AM
There are only those that have and those that will.

First sighter in a match boom. Smoke pouring out around bolt. Could not open the bolt, scratch head, 168 gr cast with R-7, thousands of rounds down range, prior to the event. I had to pull the barrel to get the bolt out of the XP-100 7 TCU. Remembering back, we had went out to dinner, had no ammo loaded for the next day, so late in the evening, came in, started reloading then son and daughter came in, dog and wife, came in, etc. Not much unusual in that. So pullled bullets, exact correct powder weight, so reached up on the powder shelf to pour the measured charge back into the can, what I had in my hand was the can of AA#7. Oh, boy. After that #7 mixup, all the AA powders went on one shelf all other powders went on another shelf and like or similar numbers got moved to opposite ends of the shelves. Prior, to to the event, in my engineering, style of sorting, all the like or similar #s were put together. Not ever a good idea, as I found out. Just by sheer luck the #7 switch involved a 233 size case in a Remington bolt action. Any lesser strength action may well have let go.

Watch out for the #7 switch with cast bullets. Both powders are great if correctly used, but switch the AA #7 pistol powder for the R#7 rifle powder and bad things can and do happen.

MrWolf
02-05-2024, 09:46 AM
Pain, headaches, etc are all distractions we don't really think about. I haven't been able to reload in quite awhile because of those. Until those issues are finally addressed (hopefully) then the reloading can start again. You have to be aware of how something as simple as a pain reliever reacts with your body. I know if i have to take something extra ( doc calls them breakout pills which is just an additional boost of my normal 24/7 rx) then I do nothing that requires extra thought or consideration. I have found on to many occasions that I make simple mistakes when off my "normal " routine. Things you would never think twice about but after time as passed you are thinking why did I do that? Be careful folks.
Ron

upr45
02-05-2024, 10:09 AM
Probably all here have been adversely affected by distracted driving, and probably all drivers have allowed distractions while driving. The same apples to reloading. Failure to pay attention while reloading can cause harm to those near and dear to us! Thanks for the reminder --we need to avoid complacency!

Thundarstick
02-05-2024, 11:10 AM
Reloading while distracted. Only if your comfortable having an open bar at your shooting range! Don't do it!

dverna
02-05-2024, 11:17 AM
I have been very lucky. 100’s of thousands of reloads and only two mistakes that I found in time before something no so good would have happened.

The “good fortune” I have had is due to luck and using auto indexing progressive presses for the bulk of my reloading.

I never have a TV going and reload alone…no pets, kids, others unless I am training someone.

Good reminder to be careful and safe

Baltimoreed
02-05-2024, 11:22 AM
I always have good rock and roll playing but nothing else going on. If nature calls or I need a coffee refill I finish the round I'm working on then get up.

country gent
02-05-2024, 11:40 AM
Distractions can be disastrous not only reloading but in many other daily things.

2TM101
02-05-2024, 01:34 PM
In 1977 I went from loading .44 mag to .45 auto and forgot to change the scale. WW2 1911 stayed together but the barrel bulged so much I could not get it out of the gun.

Years later as an Army 2LT my armorer got it out and replaced it with an olive drab barrel, which was current issue at the time. So now I have a 1911 that is a light blue except for an OD barrel in it, and it still works fine.

rbuck351
02-05-2024, 01:55 PM
Unless training someone, I reload alone. The only possible interruption is my wife. If she interrupts, I finish whatever cycle I'm on before leaving the bench. Distractions at the loading bench mean I start over and recheck everything. I made the mistake of having two similar powder cans on the bench at the same time once and dumped the powder in the measure in the wrong can. As I was putting the can back on the shelf I noticed it was not the powder I had in the measure. I had to dump about a half pound of powder.

redhawk0
02-05-2024, 03:12 PM
I need to sit in total silence when reloading...no radio, tv, computer...etc...AND NO ALCOHOL. (except denatured when cleaning equipment....you know what I mean)

Electrod47
02-05-2024, 04:08 PM
We've all been there ONCE. Be thankful...you won't let it happen again. Thanks for all the fine confessions added. It helps us all.

georgerkahn
02-05-2024, 04:42 PM
It is great (in a sick sort of way ;)) when one makes a mistake and is able to go back in time and note "WHY it happened". Eg., the mix-up of "7's" powders in Post #4 and other snafus one can retrace their snafu. My real concern are the Polltergeists or ?????? when "it happened :( :( :(" and I have not any clue as to its cause? Before I got my Dillon 550b, I loaded .38 S&W mid-range for my S&W 52 (Bullseye shooting) and had two wooden load blocks. I loaded but one block at a time, and 1st prepared all cases -- decapping first; then primed; then powder. One case at a time, I hand-sat my wadcutter on each case rim as I checked -- with flashlight help -- the powder level. I then took the atopped-with bullet charged case and simply seated bullet. FOOL-PROOF, right? One eve shooting I had a guaranteed double charge! Another time, I heard a see-pop; the bullet went (this a rifle) a few inches down the barrel, period. From the absence or residue it was clear there was no powder in that case, and I was ever happy that I "caught it" and using a cleaning rod tapped back out the bullet. BUT -- I was too a-scared to shoot any more that eve, as, "what are the chances the next round might be a DOUBLE-charge???" By the way, I pulled about 70 rounds, and all were spot-on -- no empties or doubles.
BUT, AGAIN: The cause(s)???????????????????????
geo

Winger Ed.
02-05-2024, 07:38 PM
I've had to 'un load' rounds over the years.
Now days, I'm sure to be clear headed, and free of any distractions when I sit down at the bench.
My powder is stored in a cabinet on the other side of the shop and I only take out one kind at a time.

gwpercle
02-05-2024, 08:58 PM
Good Catch ... and I'm so glad you caught it when you did !

In my book ...if you catch it , then it's just a little ... faux pas

Thanks for the reminder ... when it comes to reloading ... you can't be Too Careful !
Anything that distracts you can do it ...

I also hope you are feeling better now ...
Gary

Bazoo
02-05-2024, 09:03 PM
Glad you didn’t have a bad accident.

Powder charging is critical, for that I request to be left alone from my family.

rockrat
02-05-2024, 09:56 PM
I really need something going on in the background when I reload, be it TV or the radio(CD, XM, whatever). Pretty well been that way since I started reloading. Not real loud though. Many times I have been doing something and stop for a moment and realize a song I really like is just over, not realizing it was even playing, I was focused elsewhere

farmbif
02-05-2024, 10:06 PM
ive done the same thing. seriously distracted, thought I would reload some to put out of my mind nonsense going on with my family. in my case I tried to fit 18 grains of be86 into 41mag shells. it fit and bullet seated but then I got lucky and after loading just shy of 20 rounds I started thinking I better recheck the load guide. good thing.
those loads might have blown up my gun and my body. my inertia bullet puller broke, thanks, hornady. so I put them in plastic bag and painted a big skull and crossbones with the load and danger info on both sides with sharpie

Alstep
02-05-2024, 11:18 PM
Been there, done that, but luckily always caught myself.

That's why I only shoot my reloads and will not reload for anybody else. Conversely, I never shoot anybody else's loads.

Arkansas Paul
02-06-2024, 12:12 AM
I've had a oops before.
I apparently primed a case and seated a bullet without charging it. It's been a while, but if I recall correctly, the primer got the bullet far enough down the pipe that another round chambered. Thankfully I had the wherewithal to not just rechamber and fire another round.
I don't know if it was due to distraction or not, but now I'm more careful. No loading when I'm stressed about something else, and of course if I've had a few adult beverages that evening, no loading after. I may go piddle around in the shop and prep brass in that situation, but never loading ammo.

35 Rem
02-06-2024, 12:31 AM
Yeah, it's real easy to do something wrong with loading. I keep my powder on a high shelf and only get the can I'm currently loading down. Never have 2 powder cans out at the same time. And I talk myself through what I'm loading out loud repeatedly. Even hold up a case or two and read the headstamp to be sure I'm loading the cartridge that matches the data. I prefer powder droppers to weighing charges too for safety sake. Check a couple drops, compare scale reading to data, verify scale setting, then compare all powder charges with a flashlight while in the loading block. This is assuming it's a case where you can see the powder charge that way. And if you have too much going on to focus 100% on the loading, wait and do it another day. I ran into one of those days just last week and found myself almost double charging a 38 Special case - most likely would have caught it with the flashlight but even getting close to doing it scared me.

ioon44
02-06-2024, 09:33 AM
I keep my powder in a desk draw in my reloading room and only get the can of powder out that I am using everything else is out of sight.

Doing anything that can be dangerous while distracted whether it is reloading, driving, using a chain saw, cooking or anything else that need your full attention is a bad idea.

WRideout
02-06-2024, 10:23 AM
I recently had to take my FEG P9R to the gunsmith to replace an extractor. I had been shooting my 9mm reloads with the usual formula; 356402 over 4.3 gr promo. The powder is somewhat fluffy, and I don't know how I would even get a double charge in it, or miss seeing it if I did.

Anyway, I never felt or heard anything out of the ordinary, but suddenly it started failing to extract. I pushed the empty case out of the bore, and it looked like the primer had never been fired. The case was bulged just forward of the extractor cut, and it appeared highly overpressured. The extractor had sheared off the pins holding it, and it flew into the far regions, never to be seen again. No other visible damage to the gun.

As George noted above, there are just times when there is no known reason for a mishap.

FISH4BUGS
02-06-2024, 11:17 AM
I only listen to classical music when I reload.
I have blown up two guns in my days. It happened with a double charge of 231 in 9mm. I figured out why - an unprocessed military case on a Dillon 550, and the primer did want to go in easily. Rather than clear the press, I yanked out the offending case, replaced it, did NOT advance the stations, and pulled the handle again.
Instant double charge.
BOOM! Blew it up when I shot the round.
Changed protocol when loading to visually inspect the loaded round powder level before seating the bullet.
One of those lights that goes into the center of the tool head makes that possible on the 550.

jsizemore
02-06-2024, 07:03 PM
I use a clip on light shining into the case at the bullet seating station on my Dillon 550.

dverna
02-06-2024, 10:52 PM
Many years ago, after reading about a guy who had a bad accident, I invested in powder check dies for the two 1050’s and 650. The main concern was powder bridging due to static electricity.

My protocol for loading rifle on the Co-Ax makes a double charge or over charge impossible.

There is good advice in previous posts about one powder on the bench at a time.

Frankly, it is remarkable there are so few accidents.

Wayne Smith
02-07-2024, 11:28 AM
I have only blown up one gun - and that an old Colt in 41 Colt. When I got home I pulled the boolets and weighted the charge 15gr BE instead of 5gr BE! I misread the hanging indicator on my Lyman scale, thought it was on 5.

Being ADHD I am internally distracted. I have multiple times loaded a round without powder. Never had a primer push a boolet far enough that another round would chamber or that the cylinder was not locked up.

Petander
02-08-2024, 12:36 AM
Silence for me.

But the cat behind the door...

ioon44
02-08-2024, 10:23 AM
Cats are always on the wrong side of the door.

JoeJames
02-08-2024, 03:22 PM
I've had a oops before.
I apparently primed a case and seated a bullet without charging it. It's been a while, but if I recall correctly, the primer got the bullet far enough down the pipe that another round chambered. Thankfully I had the wherewithal to not just rechamber and fire another round.
I don't know if it was due to distraction or not, but now I'm more careful. No loading when I'm stressed about something else, and of course if I've had a few adult beverages that evening, no loading after. I may go piddle around in the shop and prep brass in that situation, but never loading ammo.

I had loaded up several rounds for my S&W 631 in 32S&W Long - with I think 2.1 grains of Bullseye and a Lee 90 grain TL swc. Shooting at my cousins range, and heard a gentle pop. Checked to make sure the barrel was clear. Asked my cousin what he noticed. He said he heard the pop, and saw the bullet bounce off the paper target at 15 yards. So no powder, but the primer was enough to send it on downrange.

Rapier
02-09-2024, 01:06 PM
A powder throw left on a bench is just a black hole. Things that live in black holes will move in, check before you start reloading, a Brown Recluse loves black holes. Learned that the hard way on a preset throw left for a bit, mid box reload. Got called away from the bench on the new house build. Came back after 3 days and a Brown Recluse had taken up residence, found it after tearing the reloading room apart looking.

I wear electronic hard poured ear plugs so any sound out of the ordinary trips an instant stop. In this case I got a blapp sound, stopped and started looking.

Tripplebeards
02-18-2024, 01:04 AM
I always make it a common practice now to leave only one powder on my reloading table. I normally did make it to practice, but screwed up one day a few years ago and posted it here. I grabbed the wrong powder and loaded up some 44 mags. I believe I was talking on my cell phone at the time and reloading while the TV was on as well. The TV normally doesn’t bother me, but getting distracted from a phone call and having a conversation distracted me enough to grab the wrong powder. Thank God it was a slow burning imr 7828 powder for my 300 RUM. I was shooting the pistol and I had pieces of big stick powder that were unburnt laying all over the shooting bench a half a foot in front of my barrel. Thank God it wasn’t a fast burning powder! Lesson learned. Im lucky it didn’t hurt anything but my pride that day.

white eagle
02-18-2024, 01:27 PM
being distracted when working with that is a recipe for disaster
good thing you caught it

lightman
02-21-2024, 12:49 PM
Glad you caught that! I learned long ago to not load and be distracted. I'll resize and/or prep cases with other stuff going on. I'll even sip on a beer or two but when the powder comes out everything else goes on hold.

Recycled bullet
02-21-2024, 01:25 PM
Design and Implement a plan that maximizes your ability to eliminate operator error and then stick to it. See that was easy to say!

MOshooter
02-21-2024, 11:19 PM
My reloading room is my peaceful room, where I'm fully tuned into what I'm working on "reloading".
My biggest distraction at this point is our 6 year old grandson that's interested in shooting and reloading. He's helped Papa prime, fill cases with powder, size brass, seat bullets or boolits depending on what we're reloading. He's also helped sized some boolits I recently casted when he wasn't here :)

I prefer to reload alone, unless I'm teaching someone.

abunaitoo
02-24-2024, 05:18 PM
Had a friend do that once.
Double charge answering the phone.
Was sitting a couple of benches down from him when he fired it off.
Babooooom!!!!!
Ended up flying off the bench, landing on his back.
But he held on to the rifle.
Ran over to him, with a few, other to see if he was still alive.
Nothing but a sore shoulder.
Rifle was not damaged.

Winger Ed.
02-24-2024, 06:06 PM
My biggest distraction at this point is our 6 year old grandson

I've done that too with kids when they were little, and enjoyed every minute of it.
But only on a single stage press and with handgun cases using a powder that would over flow the case if double charged.

When the oldest was about 4, he was helping one time and couldn't wait to stroke the handle.
I had some close calls, and finally asked him if he was trying to pinch my finger in the ram.
He said, "Yes". I always had to watch that kid......

MOshooter
02-24-2024, 07:30 PM
I've done that too with kids when they were little, and enjoyed every minute of it.
But only on a single stage press and with handgun cases using a powder that would over flow the case if double charged.

When the oldest was about 4, he was helping one time and couldn't wait to stroke the handle.
I had some close calls, and finally asked him if he was trying to pinch my finger in the ram.
He said, "Yes". I always had to watch that kid......

I've been enjoying every minute with the grandson in the reloading room.
I've also been teaching him to shoot 22lr., we bought him a Savage Rascal and we try to shoot every weekend and always preach gun safety. He's a heck of a shot with his Savage Rascal that came with peep sights. This weekend I was able to get a bipod mounted, he learned to shoot prone and really liked the bipod off the bench with his Rascal

Hahaha That's funny :) lol
We had a discussion about Papa's fingers, nothing moves until Papa's fingers are out of the way :)

GONRA
02-26-2024, 07:19 PM
As previously, GONRA sez - keep Wife, 3 kids, 2 cats & hamster off into SLUMBER LAND whilst reloading.! !!

Wolfdog91
02-26-2024, 09:17 PM
If I don't have my heap pones or something to listen while reloading bad things tend to happen.

fatelk
02-26-2024, 09:36 PM
Me too. I always have something mildly interesting on youtube, something in the background but not too interesting. Total silence doesn't work for me; seems to be distracting in and of itself somehow.

Different things work for different people, whatever keeps you focused is what's important.

waksupi
02-27-2024, 12:03 PM
Without distractions, we would probably never be able to enjoy the experience of dry balling a muzzle loader.

Willie T
02-28-2024, 05:47 PM
A good reminder about distraction to us all. It’s been 30 something years ago. I was a twenty something year old newlywed. On a Friday evening I was loading up 500 hollow base wad cutters with a light charge to go plink with a .357 revolver on the weekend. My lovely bride sashayed up to my bench and asked if I was ready to go to bed. I finished loading them up PDQ. Next day I found twenty something out of that batch that were the first backwards loaded wad cutter hollow points I had ever seen and the first ones I ever shot. They will blow the snot out of a water bottle! I don’t know what I was thinking about to miss 20 something upside down wad cutters…

Winger Ed.
02-28-2024, 06:29 PM
I don’t know what I was thinking about to miss 20 something upside down wad cutters…

Just a wild guess, but I doubt you were thinking about getting a glass of milk and taking a nap.

ukrifleman
03-01-2024, 06:55 AM
I load alone without any distractions, my wife knows to stay away while I am at the loading bench.
I always prepare and prime cases before breaking out any powder, I never have loose primers or powder on the bench at the same time.
My routine is to set up my Redding No.2 beam scale using check weights followed by the powder measure.
I load one round at a time, I put the next case to be loaded upside down in a powder funnel on the bench, which tells me it is empty and I can see that the primer is correctly seated.
I throw a charge into the case and immediately transfer it into the scale adjusting it if necessary, then back into the case and seat the bullet.
My last act is to shake every loaded round so I know that it has powder in it before putting it in the ammo box.

Slow and tedious maybe, but it has stood me in good stead for the last 53 years of reloading.

ukrifleman

uscra112
03-01-2024, 11:07 AM
Only done a double charge once - loading .25-20 at the range with onlookers around. Fortunately the result was that I proved a Stevens 44 is stronger than people say it is.

At home I load in total silence. Curious cat excluded from room. Phone turned off. Weigh every charge, dump it, seat the bullet while the beam balance is settling with the next charge. Will never trust the practice of charging a whole block of cases before seating bullets the way some people do. Don't trust electronic scales. Don't trust powder measures either, after seeing how the dropped weights vary no matter what powder or how good my technique. Never leave powder in the measure after a session. Only one powder out of the storage drawer at a time. Uncharged cases always mouth down in the block. Beam balance is at eye level so I can see very clearly how the poises are set. Illumination from over my shoulder. Lots of other little details I won't bore you with.

Process control in auto plants was my career, and I still take it to extremes. We had to plan everything with UAW idiots in mind. At the loading bench I assume I'm the idiot.

TNsailorman
03-01-2024, 12:22 PM
I like to listen to Glenn Miller music, reloading or not. Shows you how old I am. James

MOshooter
03-01-2024, 07:28 PM
My biggest distraction is our 6 year old 130lb. German Shepard, named Axel.
He constantly comes in the reloading room, about every 5 minutes and keeps tapping my leg with his paw, wanting attention SMH

fredj338
03-04-2024, 08:22 PM
Almost all catastrophic events due to reloading come from distraction. I try to never have anyone talking to me, no tv, radio is ok. Pay attention, dont reload when tired, no booze is obvious but often ignored by many.

dogdoc
03-06-2024, 09:47 AM
My whole professional life involves working and concentrating with distractions. I learned long ago to tune out everything but the task at hand when I need to (much to my wife’s chagrin ). So a radio ,tv, dog barking, tumbler running, wife telling me to take trash out, does not bother me. However I do not try to concentrate on two things at once. I stop loading until I can concentrate on loading to the exclusion of everything else (tuning everything else out.)

Slugster
03-06-2024, 10:20 AM
I do my best to ignore minor distractions. If I cannot ignore, then it's 'reloading game over' for the day. I once loaded a 10 grain overcharge for my Contender 16" .45-70. Upon firing the pistol muzzle pointed straight up, and the forearm detached ala ripped forearm tenon from slot. I had a load for 4198 and 3031 and got the two mixed up. I didn't check my notes and ASSumed that I had my facts right.

Always check your notes!

Smk SHoe
03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
I have a 4 year old granddaughter that wants to help “Opa” make bullets. She is into everything on the bench. Sizing already sized bullets and sizing already sized cases. Putting casing’s in loading blocks and counting everything. She does all the working making the bullets and brags to everyone about it. “ magical elves do all the priming and charging when she is with mom and dad” few years and she can help with the dangerous stuff

K43
03-24-2024, 03:52 AM
I don't like interruptions so I schedule early morning, like 5 or 6 am, when my Spouse is still in bed and no one is likely to come to the door.
Cases all prepped and primed, I do dispensing, checking powder levels with a flashlight, seating, crimping if required, all in separate steps so no going astray and errors can be caught.
Notebook, loadbook on the table. If the load came from a company website, the load is recorded in my notebook. Only one powder out of the cabinet and on the desk. I need that concentration and methodical adherence to steps to avoid mix-ups and mistakes. And I have made mistakes like undercharge followed by overcharge (powder bridge I guess) and an upside down bullet once or twice. I can see and correct them before I go on to the next step. Keep interrupting me and I don't just get grumpy; I quit, dump all the cases, and start over another time.

Kent Fowler
03-28-2024, 09:40 AM
I bought a used Ponsness non progressive loader that I, absolutely, could not have ANY distractions when using it, or I'd wind up with a blooper. Gave it to a friend of mine with that warning. He told me later he threw the thing in garbage as he was having the same problem...

2TM101
03-28-2024, 12:28 PM
Without distractions, we would probably never be able to enjoy the experience of dry balling a muzzle loader.

Or having a speargun. I'm glad I figured out how to make ramrods for $0.65

Super Sneaky Steve
03-28-2024, 12:43 PM
We are all prone to distractions but we can try to mitigate the damage.

I charge all my cases with a Lee Auto Disk. Once it's set it should always throw the same charge.

I also like to make room for a powder cop die.