PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit Shooters in Texas??

Shiloh
02-04-2024, 09:40 PM
Folks,

Going to be moving to Waco/Temple/Killeen area.
I won't be able to haul most of my lead poundage. Going to have to start over.
Any of you in this area or nearby to help out a fellow cast Boolit shooter with
a lead purchase???

I see several ranges in the area, but many are indoor ranges. Where do most folks shoot
Private properties around Texas??

Let me know

Shiloh

slim1836
02-04-2024, 10:08 PM
Welcome to Texas. I'm up the road 100 miles or so, not far in Texas.

You can order lead from a vender or two on this site if in need and have it shipped to your door. I scrounged all of mine over the years and no longer need any at my age. I was a highway inspector and found many pounds on the side of the roads at RR crossings, speed bumps, intersections, accident sites, etc... Go for a walk and look, they are there, just not many lead ones left.

You can check the local Lowes or Home Depot for damaged lead flashing or shower pans and get it at a reduction, tire shops, radiator shops, etc... I stay away from Craigslist and Marketplace for lead, never know what you're getting. Ask around gun ranges as to who casts their own. All the same places you looked where you currently live.

Slim

Winger Ed.
02-04-2024, 10:20 PM
The best deal I've found is to scrounge it where ever you shoot at.
Not all, but most places will let you mine the butts if you ask, or make your best deal with the range master.

Lakehouse2012
02-04-2024, 10:27 PM
Wish I could join you, enjoy Texas!

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

steveu
02-05-2024, 10:25 AM
What are you looking for range wise, bpcr, gong, cba matches???

405grain
02-05-2024, 11:48 AM
Just a thought; if you buy lead you're going to have to pay for shipping. If you already own lead then the only thing that you'll have to pay for is the shipping. You may have too much lead for you to haul across the country by yourself, but shipping companies do stuff like this all the time. It would probably cost you a lot less to have someone deliver your lead to a new place than it would to start over. If it were me I'd get a pallet, box it up, then arrange for a shipping company to deliver it to my new address.

dverna
02-05-2024, 05:22 PM
Just a thought; if you buy lead you're going to have to pay for shipping. If you already own lead then the only thing that you'll have to pay for is the shipping. You may have too much lead for you to haul across the country by yourself, but shipping companies do stuff like this all the time. It would probably cost you a lot less to have someone deliver your lead to a new place than it would to start over. If it were me I'd get a pallet, box it up, then arrange for a shipping company to deliver it to my new address.

Good post. I would at least look at the cost of having it shipped if you have good alloy. I know you can ship 70 lbs via USPS for $18.40 in a medium Flat Rate Box...less than $.30/lb.

I once had 50k bullets (over 900 lbs) shipped USPS and the PO was PO'ed. I had to go there to pick them up as they refused to deliver them. But they were kind enough to loan me a cart to get the boxes to the vehicle.

Half Dog
02-05-2024, 05:45 PM
I am close to Slim1836 but wishing I was closer. Let me know what you like to shoot.

dondiego
02-06-2024, 11:50 AM
Good post. I would at least look at the cost of having it shipped if you have good alloy. I know you can ship 70 lbs via USPS for $18.40 in a medium Flat Rate Box...less than $.30/lb.

I once had 50k bullets (over 900 lbs) shipped USPS and the PO was PO'ed. I had to go there to pick them up as they refused to deliver them. But they were kind enough to loan me a cart to get the boxes to the vehicle.

They didn't like it when I had 10,000 honey bees shipped to them and one got loose! They wouldn't deliver those either.

Shanghai Jack
02-06-2024, 01:59 PM
Depending on how you're moving, it might be best to take it with you. When I moved to texas I rented a separate truck for my safes, ammo and lead. Won't even go into the weight but it was significant. Welcome to the State.

Willie T
02-06-2024, 02:47 PM
Welcome to Texas Shiloh. I’m a little over 100 miles southeast of Waco, so too far to be of much help to you. There are a lot of places to shoot in Texas. Once you get your feet on the ground, finding a place to shoot should not be a problem. The base of most of the alloys I shoot are wheel weights I scrounge. My long time tire guy gives me 1-2 five gallon buckets a month and I keep him in empty buckets. Shake the bushes when you get here. You should be able to source casting materials without too much trouble.
Willie

Shiloh
02-06-2024, 07:57 PM
What are you looking for range wise, bpcr, gong, cba matches???

Looking for a place to shoot. 100 yard, 200 yard gongs, Steel plates. I don't have the flexibility for Defensive Pistol matches anymore.
High-power is done. I can't get into the shooting positions.

Pretty much shooting rifle off the bench, off hand pistol. Some ranges are listed on google. My guess is there are
others that aren't

Shiloh

Shiloh
02-06-2024, 07:58 PM
Welcome to Texas Shiloh. I’m a little over 100 miles southeast of Waco, so too far to be of much help to you. There are a lot of places to shoot in Texas. Once you get your feet on the ground, finding a place to shoot should not be a problem. The base of most of the alloys I shoot are wheel weights I scrounge. My long time tire guy gives me 1-2 five gallon buckets a month and I keep him in empty buckets. Shake the bushes when you get here. You should be able to source casting materials without too much trouble.
Willie

Thanks so much Willie. I really appreciate it.

Shiloh

Shiloh
02-06-2024, 08:01 PM

Does USPS ship bulk?? Are there freight companies that do heavy weight to residential areas??

Shiloh

Shiloh
02-06-2024, 08:10 PM

I have about 400 lbs. Probably going to ship my powder and primers.
All of this is moot if the movers will take powder, primers, and ammo. Some do, Some don't.

Shiloh

deltaenterprizes
02-06-2024, 09:56 PM
I made the mistake of selling my lead when I moved thinking that I would be able to just buy more.
Big mistake! That was almost 20 years ago and the price of lead had taken a huge jump!
It took a while to restock a sufficient quantity and I spent more than I got when I sold my stash.

dverna
02-07-2024, 01:08 AM
I have about 400 lbs. Probably going to ship my powder and primers.
All of this is moot if the movers will take powder, primers, and ammo. Some do, Some don't.

Shiloh

You cannot legally ship powders and primers without HazMat. When I moved, the moving company would not take them or ammunition. I only moved 220 miles and moved them myself.

I have heard of people lying about what is stuffed in boxes, but with my luck something would happen and I would end up liable.

trapper9260
02-07-2024, 05:40 AM
When I had moved from MA and then to AZ and then to IA I took all my reloading supplies with me including the lead I had at time. I got myself and moving truck and load it myself and moved it. Even my traps I have at the time I took them also and gear for trapping . It was worth it then and did not had to look for replacements on any of it. I did had some that was trying to buy all my traps from me saying I will not need them where I moved . I told them they all coming with me. This is what worked for me. I moved more then once in a years time back then and di not left anything behind. You better off to move it yourself then have someone do it for you , since you might be driving yourself there . Take your things that you asked about with you.

Barry54
02-07-2024, 05:53 AM
I’ve been watching this thread for three days. Debating whether I should ask if the lead stash has already been sold? I’d seriously consider driving across four states and unknown hundreds of miles to get it!

I’ve moved lead ingots in the past by stacking them neatly in the floorboards of cars. Doesn’t take up much space. Keeps the weight low and distributed equally. Even my little three cylinder engine, Geo Metro was rated to haul 660 lbs. Subtract my weight and the balance is cargo...

charlie b
02-07-2024, 09:58 AM
You should be able to find a freight company to move it. Just look one up 'in the book' and check to see if they are bonded/insured. You can also ask about hazmat. IIRC UPS/FedEx can do it but may be overly expensive. 'Std' freight needs it ready to go on a pallet and packaged, with access by a hand forklift.

See what the prices are, then compare to a uhaul rental, then compare that to the cost of buying new lead/powder/primers.

gwpercle
02-07-2024, 05:36 PM
Lead and lead wheel weights are getting hard to find .
Joe shut down all the USA lead mines and we are now dependant on those who are not our friends for lead .
I would rent a U-Haul and take my stash with me ... you may not be able to replace your stash at any price ... My Advice ... Take what you have with you !
I live in backwards Louisiana and can't find wheel weights and scrap lead like I could just 10-20 years ago !
Gary

fredj338
02-08-2024, 01:24 PM
You should be able to bring at least 500# with you. Bring the good alloy, Sell the rest & then start over scrounging. That is my plan when i move out of kalif.

Sgt H
02-11-2024, 10:11 AM
Shiloh, get in touch when you get down here, I am in the Killeen area. I shoot gong matches twice a month most of the year. We shoot out to 400+ yards though. These are cowboy type, lever action and Sharps or other single shots with iron sights or period scopes. Lots of fun and good folks. Shoot off benches or cross sticks, my days of high power or action games are pretty much done also. I would also bring the lead you have, getting harder to source now. And welcome to TX, land of God, guns and patriots.

steveu
02-11-2024, 12:16 PM
There is a place in Crawford that shoots gong matches out to 1k. He has some BP matches and some highpower. There is also some 22 and full bore bpcr matches in graham. 22 is on Saturday and BP on Sunday, the schedule is on fb.

Sgt H
02-11-2024, 04:19 PM
Steve could you share the names of the clubs/ranges or contact info for these shoots.

41mag
02-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Like the others have said, ship it, haul it or be prepared to pay higher prices for replacement. Around where live outside of H-town there are plenty of place to look but few places to find. A lot of casters in the area kept things to a minimal, so I bulk purchased when I could afford it.

I would haul it if at all possible, 400# shouldn't take up much room.

steveu
02-19-2024, 08:01 PM
Steve could you share the names of the clubs/ranges or contact info for these shoots.

When the schedule is set I will. Graham is posted on Facebook.

popper
02-19-2024, 08:03 PM
Bring lead with you. By yourself or movers. Ammo, primers and powder in your vehicle. There is a seller in Houston for LARGE sales of lead. Or Roto metals. Most tire shops have a deal with scrappers for WWs. I got some free from a local shop couple times, most was junk and they don't do it anymore.

rintinglen
02-20-2024, 10:36 AM
When I moved from California to Virginia, I ended up moving all my reloading supplies including my lead in a large U-haul van. Along with my personal effects, the additional weight wasn't noticeable. I saved about 1100 dollars doing it myself over what it would have cost me to have my stuff shipped, but I still would have had to haul my primers, powder and ammo in my car. I only had about 200 pounds of lead, but that would have shipped no problem.

SSGOldfart
02-20-2024, 11:08 AM
My son's mover won't take bullets, even new boxed J-words or Lead boolits or powder, but they did move bulk lead. He had a total weight limit ( Military Move )

MT Gianni
02-23-2024, 04:28 PM
If you're driving a personal car, get a uhaul car trailer and tow truck. In todays world, you will find it difficult or expensive to replace the lead you have, even if it's only 400 lbs.

Slugster
02-23-2024, 07:50 PM
A pound of lead in the hand is better than 2 pounds in the bush....if you can find it. If you have lead, keep it! I have a local scrapyard that will still sell lead to me, but that could change at any time. Wheel weights are a thing of the past, at least around my area.