PDA

View Full Version : Harrington & Richardson 12ga Huntsman breech plug

Battis
02-03-2024, 12:45 PM
I've been reading about the push in breech plug for the H&R Huntsman. The breech plug in the gun I just got does not have the two holes around the nipple, so it's not a screw in plug. Apparently, you knock the plug out from the muzzle end with a wooden dowel. Does that sound right?

I removed the barrel and made sure it wasn't loaded. This is the plug that can blow out the breech if you open it after a hangfire...or so the story goes.

Battis
02-03-2024, 02:06 PM
Answered my own question with a dowel and a little tap. It popped right out. Makes for easy cleaning. There are replacement fixes for it.
I read several posts by shooters who say they never had a problem with the plug popping out. Just be careful with hangfires, I guess.

snipin101
02-04-2024, 06:44 PM
Don't know so much about the 12ga huntsman but I had a .45 huntsman for a few years. The two holes in my plug was to unscrew it out and screw it back in. Had to make a special socket to fit since I could not find the H&R socket. I always liked that little gun but the gun safe got to full and something had to go. A 12ga would be a hoot to play around with.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk