PDA

View Full Version : .22 WMR ammo - 30grain pointed

26Charlie
02-01-2024, 11:20 PM
I have a Ruger single-six and a Winchester 9422 in this caliber. The ammo I have is 40 grain softpoint, and maybe a part box of 50 grain around somewhere. I took a look at the Hornady 30 grain, and decided to order a brick from Midsouth Shooters supply. Anybody have experience with this ammo?
My daughter has a Heriitage revolver and a Marlin bolt action she will bring over to test.
It just looked intriguing.

There’s thread about pricing on here started, April 2022, complaining about pricing of WMR ammo So, cost $160 total, shipped Tennessee to Maine, UPS. 32 cents per round.

(This leads me to a stray side thought: have. You looked at new quarters lately? They have weird reverse stuff on them. Two 2022 quarters had different reverse sides. Spanish slogan. 25 with a “cents” symbol, which my keyboard doesn’t have anymore.)

Hogtamer
02-02-2024, 10:56 PM
The high speed .22 Mag ammo doesn’t work for me out of carbine. The 1875 fps 40 gr jhp is my go to.

26Charlie
02-05-2024, 10:52 PM
Haven’t got this ammo yet. But my daughter bought a Smith & Wesson M&P in .22 WMR caliber, and brought it over for me to try it out. It has a 30 round magazine. I loaded 20 rounds of CCI 40 grain TMJ & shot a target at 25 yards. The gun is quite light, hard to hold still, but 11 of them gave me a 2.2 inch group 2.5 inches below POA. 8 were in a wider 5 inch group around that one, an one shot was lost off the paper. The 30 grain pointy ammo might make a difference with this interesting gun

buckwheatpaul
02-06-2024, 07:27 AM
Haven’t got this ammo yet. But my daughter bought a Smith & Wesson M&P in .22 WMR caliber, and brought it over for me to try it out. It has a 30 round magazine. I loaded 20 rounds of CCI 40 grain TMJ & shot a target at 25 yards. The gun is quite light, hard to hold still, but 11 of them gave me a 2.2 inch group 2.5 inches below POA. 8 were in a wider 5 inch group around that one, an one shot was lost off the paper. The 30 grain pointy ammo might make a difference with this interesting gun

I have the S & W 22 Mag and put a Holosun red dot on it and a CZ rifle. I prefer the 40 grain in both of them.

26Charlie
02-06-2024, 05:42 PM
Received the ammo today. Ordered 1Feb, delivered 6Feb. Clarksville TN to Belfast, ME UPS.

Tripplebeards
02-06-2024, 10:16 PM
The 30s grain Vmax is my go to in 22WMR. I shoot it out of my Ruger American. The first six shot group at 100 yards measured .323 inches!!!! The stuff is ridiculous accurate! I small game hunt with it. It will cleanly take a squirrel or rabbits head completely off at close range! It seems like just about every person that I know that owns a 22 WMR shoots the tightest with the 30 grain Vmax ammo. I just bought a super wrangler and haven’t had a chance to try it yet but plan on trying the Vmax in it once I get a red dot put on it. Right before Covid it was selling for 1099 to 1299 per 50. Most places lately I’ve seen it is 1599 to 1699 on up.

Tripplebeards
02-06-2024, 10:23 PM
There’s some squirrels I took with it the other day to at 60 yards and two at a little over 100 yards.

These two were at 60 yards. All were free hand shots.

https://i.imgur.com/RxouBfP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hWXcpkl.jpeg

This one was running up a tree and 110 yards, and I put a lead on it just with the crosshairs on its nose and I hit them behind the shoulder. That’s the last nut he will ever eat.

https://i.imgur.com/xqCTy9A.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/RE1ja9X.jpg

That Vmax is a beast of a WMR round!

I found an old 100 YARD target. This was the first three rounds, and I shot three more afterwards on top of it that All stayed under .323”!

https://i.imgur.com/SerWpEF.jpg

There’s another hundred yard group I shot the other day with it using vmax again…

https://i.imgur.com/UkyAyF5.jpg

Tripplebeards
02-06-2024, 10:37 PM
Found a few more vintage photos. Sorry for some of the gruesome pictures.

But you can see it really makes a mess so make sure to do head shots. I deleted the 10 yard rabbit shot because literally it looked like somebody cut the head off of the machete!

https://i.imgur.com/sO4BSVb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5vofuDR.jpeg

Grayone
02-07-2024, 09:59 AM
30 grain v-max should be perfect for coon...

murf205
02-07-2024, 10:31 AM
I have 3 rifles that LOVE the 30gr Hornady's A cz 512m , a 25m Marlin bolt gun and a Wincheswter 9422m. Here is a target of the CZ.323176
I had a friend who went to his hunting property one after noon and spotted a BIG sow hog rooting up his green field at about 75 yds. He rested his rifle on the golf cart and poked her in the head. The 30 gr went all the way through that porkers skull! He was as amazed and I was!

Tripplebeards
02-07-2024, 10:53 AM
The complete penetration of pigs skull doesn’t shock me. I have experienced some of the bullets not opening up on small game and poking a .22 caliber hole in and out of squirrels and rabbits. Imo they aren’t consistent on violent expansion I posted above. Either way, animals still drop at the shot. You can see the the one squirrel in the group of four that you can see a dark spot behind the shoulder. That was the entry hole. The exit was the same. Just poked a small hole in and out with a lot of internal damage. Still dropped at the shot and never moved. It’s kind of hit and miss whether I get a violent blow up.

GhostHawk
02-07-2024, 10:38 PM
Most of my .22mag is being shot in either a Heritage rough rider convertable with 5"+ barrel or a H&R 732 revolver with a snub barrel less than 3".

I do have a H&R handi rifle single shot in .22lr that is more than a little erratic. I have considered reaming it out for .22mag and a scope. I suspect it would make a very fine 100 yard squirrel killer. But being 71 I seem to have lost my desire to kill along the way somewhere. So while I have some of those 30's I have yet to shoot them.

The Win and CCI 40 grainers work well and I have a thousand of the CCI 50 grain. Waiting to be tested.

georgerkahn
02-07-2024, 11:31 PM
I have a Ruger single-six and a Winchester 9422 in this caliber. The ammo I have is 40 grain softpoint, and maybe a part box of 50 grain around somewhere. I took a look at the Hornady 30 grain, and decided to order a brick from Midsouth Shooters supply. Anybody have experience with this ammo?
My daughter has a Heriitage revolver and a Marlin bolt action she will bring over to test.
It just looked intriguing.

There’s thread about pricing on here started, April 2022, complaining about pricing of WMR ammo So, cost $160 total, shipped Tennessee to Maine, UPS. 32 cents per round.

(This leads me to a stray side thought: have. You looked at new quarters lately? They have weird reverse stuff on them. Two 2022 quarters had different reverse sides. Spanish slogan. 25 with a “cents” symbol, which my keyboard doesn’t have anymore.)

26Charlie -- fyi, to type the cent symbol with Windows based OSs, simply hold down the CTRL key and then type / followed by c. If I wanted to, say, type thirty-seven cents in shortcut fashion, it will be 37˘ . This may not work for your machine, but.. it works for mine :). Note that in some apps holding the Ctrl key does weird things -- e.g. re AutoSave, or, nothing. In those cases, I simply create the ˘ symbol in a Word document, and then copy/paste it.

Jedman
02-07-2024, 11:32 PM
I have a Marlin 57 M levermatic in 22 mag. It likes the 40 gr. the best and shoots it near MOA. I have used the 30 gr. also and it shoots almost as well, shot a feral cat with it while it was walking across my yard. I hit it in the chest at 70 yards and it literally leaped 3’ in the air and ran a short distance then cartwheeled end over end and was dead immediately. Very effective on pests.
Jedman

26Charlie
02-11-2024, 06:13 PM
Did some 25 yd shooting with the 30 gr Vmax ammo today. Does not group in the Ruger Single six. In the S&W M&P it groups as well as the 40 grain, but is fully 2 inches lower.
My daughter shot her Heritage revolving carbine as well as the S&W M&P, and shot tighter groups right to the sights. The ammo is OK for her, in her guns. My Ruger, not so much.

Georgerkahn, thanks. I guess my surprise was at seeing it on the coin which usually said “quarter dollar”.

Tripplebeards
02-11-2024, 06:21 PM
Do you have any 22 WMR rifles? If so, try the ammo in them. I’ve never tried the Vmax and a pistol yet, but I will on my super wrangler once I send it in tomorrow and get it back in a couple weeks for cosmetic warranty repair.

farmbif
02-12-2024, 11:47 PM
I had more than a case of hornady 22 mag ammo and had to get rid of along with my Henry because for some reason me nor my local gunsmith can understand the marlin 57m will not fire hornady ammo, federal, Speer, winchester , cci all work perfect but my new favorite is armscor, shoots just as well as the other 40 grain ammo but costs less but for 30 grain and a 15% velocity increase cci maxi mag TNT

26Charlie
02-13-2024, 12:57 PM
Triplebeards - those are nice groups. Its been a long time since I skinned a squirrel. Wife was a city girl, and won’t eat them, but if there is no other protein (politics being what they are now), there is potential in the back yard. I will get out the rifle as soon as the weather moderates - we’ve been having rain and snow off and on.

snowwolfe
02-13-2024, 01:16 PM
Most accurate 22 mag ammo I have used is the 33 grain stuff Remington made. Not sure if it is still being produced.

Tripplebeards
02-13-2024, 02:41 PM
Triplebeards - those are nice groups. Its been a long time since I skinned a squirrel. Wife was a city girl, and won’t eat them, but if there is no other protein (politics being what they are now), there is potential in the back yard. I will get out the rifle as soon as the weather moderates - we’ve been having rain and snow off and on.

Normally squirrels taste good those weren’t the greatest for some reason. Rabbits taste really good though!!!

Tripplebeards
02-13-2024, 02:42 PM
Most accurate 22 mag ammo I have used is the 33 grain stuff Remington made. Not sure if it is still being produced.

Those used to shoot really good in an old rifle that I had that’s long gone. I think it was an old Marlin bolt gun. It blew stuff up pretty good with that ammo. Had been back around 90 or so. Wish I kept it. It was a fun little gun. It didn’t shoot as good as the Ruger though. The American line is “made super economy style” imo with some cheap materials and pot metal…but boy, they sure shoot good.

farmbif
02-13-2024, 08:36 PM
the cci maxi mag TNT is a very explosive 30 grain round with a huge hollow point and very thin copper jacket. very effective for eliminating pests but probably not the best choice on small critters you want to eat

Tripplebeards
02-13-2024, 09:10 PM
the cci maxi mag TNT is a very explosive 30 grain round with a huge hollow point and very thin copper jacket. very effective for eliminating pests but probably not the best choice on small critters you want to eat

I’m guessing they’re probably a rebranded Hornady projectile with a different tip? I tried them in my rifle and they don’t group anywhere as tight as the hornady vmax ammo. Think they were about an inch to an inch and a quarter groups at 100 yards if I remember. The 50 grain bullets most recommend for predators grouped about the same as the CCI’s. Even though it’s not an ideal predator caliber I’m sure the Vmax ammo would drop a coyote out to a 100 to a 150 yards with a well placed shot.

26Charlie
02-18-2024, 05:04 PM
OK, I got a group with the Hornady 30 gr v-max from a Marlin M983S bolt action rifle. It’s cold, so 25 yds off the back porch, 5 shots into 0.45 “ with 4X scope.

Tripplebeards
02-18-2024, 07:51 PM
To my advantage, the trigger breaks at 14 ounces on mine, and I a 3.5 to 14 power scope, which probably helps as well. It’s warming up here a little bit. I was out in the backyard with the new to me browning nomad recurve I got from the church store last week for 35 bucks. Just put on a stick on rest and tied on some nocks this afternoon. Also tried some new xx75 2117 arrows. It seems to shoot pretty decent at 15 yards. It’s 54 pounds at 28 inches and I’m pulling back 31 1/2 so got my work out. I didn’t group as good as you. :drinks:

https://i.imgur.com/rcvId0o.jpg

three50seven
03-14-2024, 07:13 AM
As others have stated, the 30gr Vmax really breathes new life into the .22 mag; but just like in any other caliber, some guns have a preference. I recently bought a Marlin 882 from 1989. It does ok with the 30gr bullets, but it definitely prefers the 40gr Maxi-Mag from CCI.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
03-14-2024, 09:59 AM
I bought a bunch of the cci HP maxi mag 125 count cartons from Walmart two years ago for for around $22 a carton! I haven’t seen it lately but last time it was around $39 a carton.

three50seven
03-14-2024, 10:03 AM
I bought a bunch of the cci HP maxi mag 125 count cartons from Walmart two years ago for for around $22 a carton! I haven’t seen it lately but last time it was around $39 a carton.Palmetto State Armory had it last time I looked. They actually had a large selection of .22 mag ammo, and the prices were fair as well.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
03-14-2024, 10:04 AM
I don’t think I’ve shot any of them. I think I have about a half a dozen of the milk cartons I picked up. Hopefully I finally get around to putting the red Dot on my new super wrangler and I’ll use them in that.

Tripplebeards
03-15-2024, 09:46 AM
I did shoot up almost a carton trying to get my Walter WMP to running and gave up on it. Found them yesterday after I got my super wrangler up and running I’ll have to go out and test both of the ammo in it.

https://i.imgur.com/JvzR7S1.jpg

BigAl52
04-30-2024, 06:01 PM
Another vote for the 33 grain Remington ammo. I shoot it out of a Ruger American with the threaded barrel. It also likes the Norma 40gr ammo