PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor

willyboy
02-18-2009, 12:37 AM
I have a couple of molds for my trapdoor,and I cast most of my own bullets for everything I shoot,but sometimes I buy 500 on SASS or from Cabela's.I'm comeing to the end of a lot of .458/.459 385 gr,pointed bullets I bought,and this bullet and sixty gr. of 2 F Goex make a dandy load for my cut down original 1884 rifle [now a ''carbine''] or my H&R Cavalry carbine.My problem is that my molds are flat point,and these are spire point. Anyone know where the 'pointy' molds can be obtained?

Buckshot
02-18-2009, 03:44 AM
My problem is that my molds are flat point,and these are spire point. Anyone know where the 'pointy' molds can be obtained?

.............Why, are FP's a problem? You cannot soup up the 45-70 and especially a TD to where a spitzer or a BT is going to make any real world difference. Probably the exact reason you're not seeing many pointy 45 cal rifle designs as at regular 45-70 velocities a FP does very well. In fact at longer ranges and original ballistics a pointy nose is actually not such a good idea.

If you're wanting them because they do so well for you, then that is all the reason you need and more power to you. I'm just pointing out that there are a TON of 'Non-Pointy' 45-70 boolit designs out there that do an exceedingly super job. Lee and Lyman both make a pointed design but they're 500 grs or so.

..............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
02-18-2009, 06:20 AM
NEI makes a spitzer-point design in 45 rifle caliber, and it shot very well for me in my Ruger #1. As Buckshot said, these don't always work out in 45-70s, but this one's nose portion was a good fit to the rifling's land diameter and the slug cast big enough to size properly for my grooves (.459")--a thing MANY 45 rifle moulds WON'T do.

hyoder
02-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Lyman's 457658 is a SP but at 480 grs is a little lighter than the 500 gr you mentioned.
The Lyma 535 gr Postell is somewhat less round than some of the others.

Larry Gibson
02-18-2009, 12:32 PM
I have a couple of molds for my trapdoor,and I cast most of my own bullets for everything I shoot,but sometimes I buy 500 on SASS or from Cabela's.I'm comeing to the end of a lot of .458/.459 385 gr,pointed bullets I bought,and this bullet and sixty gr. of 2 F Goex make a dandy load for my cut down original 1884 rifle [now a ''carbine''] or my H&R Cavalry carbine.My problem is that my molds are flat point,and these are spire point. Anyone know where the 'pointy' molds can be obtained?

For your original TD I would recommend Rapines 460400 which has the nose profile of the original M1873 45-55 carbine load. My "460xxx" moulds drop the bullets at .461-.462" which is much better fit in the original TD barrels. I honed out a sizer so it just touches them and the come out .4615". Accuracy is excellent in my original TD barrels. They also shoot extremely well sized that way in my H&R OM and LBH carbine.

Larry Gibson