PDA

View Full Version : Lee 45 Cal Oversize Improved Mini

helice
02-18-2009, 12:36 AM
I asked this over at the LeverGun group but I thought I'd ask you all too. Have any of you guys tried the muzzle loader Lee .454 Improved Mini in the 45 Colt? Its heavy at 298 grns. Caliber is right . Its that hollow base that intrigues me. Be using just smokeless. I wonder if the grooves would fill up with liquid Alox and would it hold up to Ruger type velocities? Give me a help here guys. Keep writin'. I' learnin'. Helice:confused:

Dale53
02-18-2009, 12:54 AM
helice;
Understand, this is just MY opinion. The hollow base would make the bullet considerably longer (take up more case room) unnecessarily complicating loading data (smaller case capacity raises pressures without any reference in the loading manuals).

However, the REAL deal breaker for me and ANY hollow base cast bullet, is that I require some production capacity. I have and use a couple of hollow point moulds, but have similar solids that I can cast in volume (never less than two cavity and I have a HUGE preference for four and six cavity moulds). That lets me cast the solids for practice and I need just a few for hunting. Otherwise, it would be ALL solid for me.

I just find a proper weight and design solid bullet (that has the correct dimensions for my particular firearm) cast lots and shoot lots. That bullet design does NOT do it for handgun use nor levergun use for me.

FWIW

Dale53

helice
02-20-2009, 01:48 PM
My post hasn't generated much comment. I do appreciate you opinions. I know that the casting of the mini would be slow. I had wondered if this would make a good "quiet" load. Again Dale --- My thanks. Keep writin'. I'm learnin'. :-) Helice

dubber123
02-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I had thought of this too, but never ventured into trying it. I thought it might help some of those S&W's with the big cylinder throats.

mooman76
02-20-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't have any mini's in the 45 caliber but I have the Lee REAL and shot it out of a 45 ACP just for giggles and it didn't shoot too bad. Left nice neat holes too, just lie a SWC. Give it a try and see! Also the groves on a Mini, you asked if they would fill up with Liquid alox. They won't "fill up" with LLA but will be coated. A solid conical might work if your Mini doesn't.