PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 53 takedown loose

Ruts
02-01-2024, 01:49 AM
I have a takedown winchester 53 that will turn a bit too far when putting it back together. Is this fixable?

square butte
02-01-2024, 09:41 AM
Pretty sure there is an adjustment screw and ring with them - I don't have one, but I believe the adjustment is similar to the Winchester model 12 shotgun - and not too complicated. Someone will chime in here and give you something more specific - Let not your heart be troubled

eastbank
02-01-2024, 02:59 PM
go to you tube and look up cinnabar, the man on that channel is super at fixing any thing wrong with winchesters. i have watched the adjustment show on tightening winchester rifles and there is more to it than adjusting winchester shotguns. i have never taken any of my takedown winchester rifles apart.

Kai
02-01-2024, 04:10 PM
The fix is quite easy. Take the gun down. Remove the forearm and you will see 3 screws on the backside of the receiver ring. These are the adjustment screws.

John Taylor
02-01-2024, 07:21 PM
Do not try to tighten the three screws. Use a punch to move the metal a small amount then replace the screws. Trying to move the metal with the screws may end up with stripped threads. You only need to move the metal a couple thousandths, about 1/2 the thickness of a piece of paper.

Kai
02-01-2024, 08:41 PM
Do not try to tighten the three screws. Use a punch to move the metal a small amount then replace the screws. Trying to move the metal with the screws may end up with stripped threads. You only need to move the metal a couple thousandths, about 1/2 the thickness of a piece of paper.

I suppose this will depend on the gun and the condition of the screws/how easily they will turn and how easily the adjustment piece will move. Good idea though!

porthos
02-01-2024, 08:43 PM
on a similar note; in, the 1970s i and my friends shoot trap 3-5 times a week. a friend had a new mod 12. he used a break down case, and broke the gun down every time. in a few years, it was on the next to last (i think) notch. he then traded for another trapgun.

Ruts
02-02-2024, 01:16 AM
Thanks guys my rifle is back in shape I had no idea this clever adjustment system was there

JDHasty
02-04-2024, 09:21 PM

Exactly. It’s better not to risk stripping the screws by using them to move the metal with.

Bazoo
02-04-2024, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys my rifle is back in shape I had no idea this clever adjustment system was there

Glad you got it fixed.