PDA

View Full Version : Brass-colored Lyman mould

LeadHead72
01-31-2024, 11:46 PM
Recently I picked up this never-used Lyman round-ball mould that is unlike any other I've ever seen. It looks like brass but responds to a magnet. Tonight I took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it for safe storage. The picture below was taken after the cleaning, so the color is definitely not any type of residue and it's also the same color inside the threaded hole for the sprue plate screw.
A person who many consider to be an expert in bullet casting said that the Meehanite which Lyman uses can be a yellowish color after the machining process and before the bluing process. He wonders if perhaps someone forgot to put it through the bluing process before shipping it.
Your thoughts? I find it very interesting and unique.

380AUTO
02-01-2024, 01:49 AM
That thing is awesome. Never seen a Lyman like that.

M-Tecs
02-01-2024, 02:19 AM
Rust remover will take bluing off????

Winger Ed.
02-01-2024, 02:22 AM
It's doubtful it left the factory like that.

There's a few common cleaner type chemicals out there that will strip off bluing on contact.
Somebody probably 'cleaned' it with one.

LeadHead72
02-01-2024, 12:55 PM
It's doubtful it left the factory like that.

There's a few common cleaner type chemicals out there that will strip off bluing on contact.
Somebody probably 'cleaned' it with one.

On quite a few occasions I've chemically stripped rust/bluing from Lyman moulds and have never had them turn brass-colored, but rather the typical "in the white" steel color.

country gent
02-01-2024, 01:05 PM
Im wondering if it could be a darker straw color from heat. Steel will go straw to purples/greens to blues to black with different heat ranges.

LeadHead72
02-01-2024, 01:18 PM
Im wondering if it could be a darker straw color from heat. Steel will go straw to purples/greens to blues to black with different heat ranges.

This was sold to me as a new mould and from all other appearances it seems to be unused. Of course it's not impossible that it could have been heat-cycled.

country gent
02-01-2024, 01:35 PM
May be a new unused mould. The yellow may have come from a anneal cycle and it missed being blued. Heating the blocks to lightly anneal makes them easier to machine with out warpage and increases tool life.

challenger_i
02-01-2024, 01:45 PM
Yellow zinc, or cad-plated for corrosion control? Perhaps a query to Lyman might shed some light on the matter?

jdgabbard
02-01-2024, 02:20 PM
I have a few molds from Ideal that have patches that look similar. It's definitely still iron. Not brass.

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-01-2024, 02:39 PM
Well, how does it cast in its current condition? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ACC
02-01-2024, 03:42 PM
Looks to me that someone scrubbed the bluing off.

ACC

Recycled bullet
02-01-2024, 04:13 PM
Gorgeous it looks like brass

1eyedjack
02-01-2024, 04:31 PM
I have an ribs 9 115 rn machine mold I bought on fleabay for cheap. It is well used but usable after some modifications to convert it into hand casting mold. It also has some kind of brass or yellow tint to it but is some kind of steel or steel alloy. Still casting a good bullet but has definitely seen substantial use.

Bazoo
02-01-2024, 06:10 PM
I'm definitely interested in what is going on with it, thanks for sharing.

longbow
02-01-2024, 07:28 PM
If it is magnetic it definitely isn't brass.

I don't think Lyman blues moulds in a bluing tank, I believe they heat blue. As mentioned above as the iron goes through the temperature ranges the surface coulour will change from a pale straw through to blue. That heat bluing would be done after all machining so yes, insode threaded or dilled/reamed holes would also be the same colour.

I make moulds from mild steel and they heat blue in use. They start off shiny steel in as machined condition but change colour in use:

https://i.postimg.cc/htXyZkgB/Mould-Open-Nose-Form-Depth.jpg (https://postimg.cc/jDr4LkLg)

It depends on what temperature the metal is taken to as to what colour it turns.

I suspect that your mould was heated to below usual temperature when it was heat blued/baked. It may well darken up with use.

Longbow

Recycled bullet
02-01-2024, 07:30 PM
I wonder what amazing colors it will become if you get it hot and wipe it with an oily rag.

1Hawkeye
02-02-2024, 09:25 PM
I've seen blued metal turn that color after being scrubbed with a brass brush. Could this be the case.

LeadHead72
02-02-2024, 09:33 PM
I've seen blued metal turn that color after being scrubbed with a brass brush. Could this be the case.

Don't think so. Even though it's never been used I thoroughly cleaned it myself after receiving it. And as noted previously, the color is consistent even down into the threaded hole for the sprue-plate screw.

20:1
02-03-2024, 12:59 AM
I've see this from time to time on other moulds. I believe it'll turn blue when you first use it. I often clean up used moulds I've purchased with Evaporust, then scrub them after a long soak and oil. They turn blue with the first use. It could be that this is an unused factory mould that got its final cleaning and oiling but didn't get heated to blue it. Hensley & Gibbs moulds had a similar finish as well.

midnight
02-04-2024, 10:31 AM
I have seen iron turn a yellowish color after soaking in citric acid to remove rust.

Bob

20:1
02-04-2024, 12:17 PM
I have seen iron turn a yellowish color after soaking in citric acid to remove rust.

Bob

True, and Evaporust can turn them that color as well.

Murphy
02-04-2024, 06:44 PM
After my stepsons father passed away, they were going through his things and found a Lyman rifle kit. With the kit was a mold that looked new and unused, he'd never even fired the rifle. The mold was the exact same color as the one in the first post on this thread. Not sure why some came colored that way.

Murphy