PDA

View Full Version : Academy sports

jim 44-40
01-31-2024, 10:15 PM
Looks like a Academy Sports store is coming to Westover,WV

jsizemore
02-01-2024, 03:14 AM
The local Dick's has left. No support from the no hunting hoard that didn't want guns. Academy is opening in the same spot. They appear to supply the hunting and shooting community.

crowbuster
02-01-2024, 06:41 AM
fitting. academy doesnt sell ar,s either.

Half Dog
02-01-2024, 06:56 PM
Dicks seems to have gravitated toward selling shoes. I guess more profit for them.

jim 44-40
02-01-2024, 08:15 PM
The web site is confusing, might stop one time when it opens.

Texas by God
02-01-2024, 08:21 PM
They’re a good store in my experience- guns,ammunition, deer corn and footwear at good prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

missionary5155
02-01-2024, 08:23 PM
Interesting ...Academy sells the Ruger Ranch Rifle but that is the only .223 on the website.

Arkansas Paul
02-01-2024, 11:44 PM
I'm a fan of Academy. Their prices on guns and ammo are at or slightly below most.
They're the only ones close by that have had primers in stock recently.
They are also the only one close that carries B&B charcoal, which is far superior to Kingsford. ;)

Thin Man
02-02-2024, 09:18 AM
Our local Dick's gave up on selling firearms and ammo, then everything else that would suggest hunting. Haven't been into their store since then.

Tall
02-02-2024, 10:11 PM
I bought 1K LPP from Academy in 2019. Great price and they had them in stock. I am a fan.

justindad
02-02-2024, 10:20 PM
I picked ip a pound of Titegroup there for $31 a few weeks ago. I haven’t seen that price anywhere since. They don’t have a lot of gun related items, but what they do have is at decent prices. Maybe someday they’ll have a 4lb jug of HS-6…

Hogtamer
02-02-2024, 10:33 PM
Few reloading supplies here, but good or better than most on ammo and prices. They have some specials on ammo occasionally too. Fishing equipment,tackle, etc very well stocked and cheaper than Bass Pro. Their website stinks though.

farmbif
02-02-2024, 11:04 PM
an academy store is where I found my most recent box of winchester 22lr dynapoints and they did have reloading tools and supplies

BrassMagnet
02-03-2024, 08:01 PM
I have bought my shoes and boots at Academy Sports for years.

Txcowboy52
02-03-2024, 10:11 PM
No problems here with Academy Sports. I have shopped there at times. You can find some good stuff there at decent prices. We bought some studio chairs we use outside on sale cheaper than we could find them anywhere else.

kungfustyle
02-03-2024, 10:45 PM
Academy is owned by a not supportive person https://noblegoldinvestments.com/george-soros-owned-companies/ very sad.

txbirdman
02-03-2024, 11:33 PM
The Academy close to me has the worst check out lines I’ve ever seen. Several times I’ve picked up items to buy and finally after 15 minutes or more of waiting in line put the item back. A friend of mine said he and his wife had to wait 30 minutes in line to get checked out the other day. Maybe it’s just this one store.

slim1836
02-03-2024, 11:48 PM
fitting. academy doesnt sell ar,s either.

They did in my neck of the woods, I'll have to check if they still do.

Slim

Hannibal
02-04-2024, 10:54 AM
Our local Dick's gave up on selling firearms and ammo, then everything else that would suggest hunting. Haven't been into their store since then.

I think it is corporate policy for DICKS to not sell firearms or shooting components/ammunition. I do think they sell air rifles but nothing high-end.

TheGrimReaper
02-04-2024, 11:20 PM
I like Academy. Pretty good prices for ammo

danmat
02-05-2024, 11:37 AM
I shop there if it's the only place I can find what I need.
If they shut down the Chinese economy would be cut in half.

BamaNapper
02-05-2024, 03:39 PM
It was a few years ago that Dick's decided they would not sell rifles to anyone under 21. The law said 18 for rifles, but Dick's wanted to do some virtue signaling. I haven't been in one of their stores since. The Academy store is a couple blocks farther, so I go there instead. Sometimes they have reloading supplies, but it's usually pretty limited. I couldn't vouch for their ammo prices since rimfire is the only loaded ammo I buy, and that comes from the local farm store.

Electrod47
02-05-2024, 03:53 PM
You may not get a lot of tactical stuff at Academy but, they have a lot of fine classical hunting arms with the much appreciated smattering of the "best" small b, inexpensive Turkish arms that are turning out to be a good value and a lot of fun. Sometimes almost impossible things are there also. Stopped at the Academy in Longview TX for my dove stamp and what did I find .small a..."affordable" crow decoys.......I bought them all.

jim 44-40
02-07-2024, 02:03 PM
Made a trip today, it's going to be along time before store opening, in Westover WV

elmacgyver0
02-07-2024, 02:40 PM

That's because they're Dicks.

jim 44-40
02-07-2024, 02:52 PM
That's because they're Dicks.

Now that's funny

jdgabbard
02-07-2024, 03:34 PM
I have mixed opinions about Academy. They're not particularly 2A friendly. Though they do still sell firearms and ammunition. There are at least 2 in the Tulsa area, one about 3 miles from my house, one about a mile out of the way of my drive home from the office.

The best deal I ever got on a new shotgun came from Academy, they had a special about 10 years ago on Mossberg Maverick 88s with 18" barrels for $125. Back when I was in highschool they were about the only place around where you could buy Olympic Weights and Bars - something I had quite a few of having been a very active athlete. I've also bought some clothing and camping gear from them over the years, though not recently.

The down side, for a store that sells firearms you're also getting all of the Coorporate nonsense where it concerns how they screen people, sometimes refusing sales and the like. There used to be a thread about it over on OK Shooters (a forum for Oklahoma firearm enthusiasts). During the 2008 and 2012 buying frenzies they were known for price gouging, denying lawful purchases, and being just overly difficult to patron. Since the start of the pandemic I have not found anything they sell, firearm related, that I considered to be a "good buy". Most everything has been higher priced than I could buy it elsewhere. They also didn't offer online purchases of ammunition at my locations. Meaning if they didn't have it on the shelf, you were getting it.

Overall, its not that I wouldn't do business there. It's just not even in the top 10 places I would look first.

BoBSavage
02-07-2024, 03:44 PM
I typically buy my 30-06 ammo at Academy or WalMart. I like Academy better because they carry more ammo, and it is on a shelf that you easily access to browse with ease.

I only purchase ammo on sale, below $30.00.

Arkansas Paul
02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
I typically buy my 30-06 ammo at Academy or WalMart. I like Academy better because they carry more ammo, and it is on a shelf that you easily access to browse with ease.

That is definitely one of the good things about looking at ammo at Academy. I like being able to walk up to the shelf and browse. I'm not getting any younger and my eyes can't read labels and price stickers that far away, through glass and plastic bars. And getting whatever minimum wage teenager who happens to be the closest to the sporting goods section to come help you, is frustrating to say the least.
At my local Academy store, powder and primers are behind the counter. With the scarcity, I kind of get that.

Jedman
02-07-2024, 05:02 PM
My only experience with Academy Sports was in Edmond, OK. I was able to buy 2 of the Yildiz folding 410 single shot shotguns and some 22 lr ammo. Academy seems to be the sole distributors of Yildiz shoguns made in Turkey and they seem to be well made and both of mine have great looking walnut stocks . I can’t find anywhere else that handles these shotguns and I’m very happy with them.
Jedman

Texas by God
02-07-2024, 09:20 PM
If they offered that Yildiz folding shotgun in 20 gauge- they would sell a ton of them in Texas alone!
We went to one today. I picked up some .40S&W carry ammo, a can of One Shot, and 100 Mini Mags.
They had LR primers at $7.99/100 AND .410 shells- rare sights nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk