PDA

View Full Version : Wads Under Sabot

WRideout
01-31-2024, 01:26 PM
I have recently purchased a bunch of Harvester sabots for my 50 cal CVA Buckhorn Magnum. In the past I shot Lee REAL slugs with a cardboard overpowder wad, and a homemade felt grease wad. I wanted to use my home cast .452 diameter boolits to see if accuracy would improve. Also, the REAL slugs are thumpers, as far as recoil. My normal powder is Pyrodex RS.

Here's my question: do I need to use wads at all under the Harvester sabot? They have a deep cup on the bottom, and I am concerned that shoving extraneous material in there may cause inaccuracy. Thanks.

Wayne

Graysmoke
01-31-2024, 02:02 PM
WR, nope I used to shoot an omega z5 with harvester black crush sabots, they act as a shotgun plastic shot wad. I found out different wads affected accuracy I burned black horn 209 at the time never tried with BP however just adjust your charges for best poi.
Graysmoke

quilbilly
01-31-2024, 02:45 PM
Just lube the sides of the sabot. In my experience with sabots in any of my 50 cal muzzleloaders, any lube whatsoever on the bottom ruined accuracy. With my primary sabot muzzleloader, it prefers a little lube pressed between the wings onto the boolit as well as along the sides.
Since I have given up elk hunting, I don't use the sabots much anymore preferring PRB except for potential long range shooting at desert mule deer. Also, my sabot rifle also prefers .429 SWC's to .452 projectiles for some unknown reason.

WRideout
01-31-2024, 04:01 PM
Thanks, everybody. that answers my question. So, Quilbilly, what kind of lube do you use on the sabots? My normal BP lube is Crisco/beeswax, 50/50 mix.

Wayne

Gtek
02-03-2024, 12:26 PM
Omega Z5, Hornady 250/red sabot, twenty to a box stuff. 90 gr. of T7 and it will do five shot 1 1/2" @ 100 real regular if I do my part. I work out of and preload all my (quick load?) hunting chargers for process. I wipe outside of sabot with just enough to make it look wet with Bore Butter and slip it into nose of carrier. Dad left me a lifetimes worth and thought I would try it. Does not seem to hurt anything and makes second load maybe slide a little better? Right/wrong? Seems to work okay.