PDA

View Full Version : new member introduction

africa
01-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Good day, ladies and gentlemen. As it shows, I'm brand new to this forum. I'm a caster and cast bullet shooter/hunter. My main area of interest deals with accuracy plus velocity in rifles - .308 win./7x57, for target shooting at 200/300 yds and hunting medium/big game. Also cast for handguns, and shoot 'em, mostly 45 ACP. Glad to join you all.

Cherokee
01-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the group. Ask or share as you wish.

Gunload Master
01-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Welcome to CB Africa! Good to have you aboard!

RugerFan
01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Well howdy Africa,
Will be looking forward to conversing with you.

wills
01-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Welcome aboard. Do not believe all you read about sheep.

NVcurmudgeon
01-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Welcome, africa. Are you from Africa, have hunted there or just have high hopes or fantasies like most of the rest of us?

Buckshot
01-26-2006, 03:47 AM
.....................Welcome Africa! Finally a new member who doesn't immediately start talking about all the handguns he's got, sheesh!

Are you located in Africa? I've been to Luanda Angola, Mombosa Kenya. and Mosawa Ethiopia. If the Malagasy Republic counts I've been to Diego Suarez. Luanda and Mombasa were nice.

............Buckshot

Frank46
01-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Wills, you forgot the cats. Frank

africa
01-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the warm wellcome! NVcurmudgeon, I've been in Africa just once, Senegal, and keep high hopes of going back this year. As Buckshot may confirm, it is a most beautiful landscape, and, even today, a hunter's dream.

Shepherd2
01-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Welcome Africa. Like Wills said "Do not believe all you read about sheep". Cats are a different matter.

Buckshot - I noticed you said Mombasa and Luanda were nice but made no comment about Masawa, Ethiopa. We stopped there for one day in 1961 to pick up fresh supplies that had to delivered there for us care of the US Army. What a pit. We loaded our goodies (the first fresh fruit and veggies we'd seen in 6 months), the port and starboard sections took 2 hours liberty each and we got under way. Don't know how those Army guys stood it. I'm sure their nice club with lots of cold US beer helped. It helped us.

Buckshot
01-27-2006, 04:01 AM
Welcome Africa. Like Wills said "Do not believe all you read about sheep". Cats are a different matter.

Buckshot - I noticed you said Mombasa and Luanda were nice but made no comment about Masawa, Ethiopa. We stopped there for one day in 1961 to pick up fresh supplies that had to delivered there for us care of the US Army. What a pit. We loaded our goodies (the first fresh fruit and veggies we'd seen in 6 months), the port and starboard sections took 2 hours liberty each and we got under way. Don't know how those Army guys stood it. I'm sure their nice club with lots of cold US beer helped. It helped us.

........Sheperd2, the Army R&R facility was still there in 1972 when I was there. We were there a couple days for Ethiopian 'Navy Days'. You could rent a ski boat and driver to pull you around for $2 an hour. Beer was 25 cents, didn't matter what kind. We were sitting around a table drinking Pabst and Falstaff and a guy flops down with a Hienekin. "Wheredja get that?" At the bar was the reply, so we abandoned our current ones for 25 cent Hienekin's.

I have to say that I'm no beer snob as the Pabst's, Falstaff's and Miller High Lifes were fine, but I just had to enjoy the novelty of paying a quarter for a Hienekin.

Being as I was on a destroyer and we were tied up to docks for merchant ships, mostly you looked up at the underside of the pier. If I'd have had a 22 I could have probably shot enough meat (rats) to have fed half the country. When you were standing in line for the mess decks at the spray shield, the top of the pier was about chest high. This female dog showed up and she was obviously nursing puppies. I guess the smell of food drew her out.

Guys who had seen her earlier began tossing food scraps to her (against regs to remove food from the mess deck) they'd snuck out. This poor dog would have a mouthfull and drop half of what she had trying to pick up another tossed scrap. The next day a couple guys found where she had her litter and she only had 2 left alive of 5. For the 3 days we were there that dog ate till she gagged.

What else I saw of the place was equaly depressing. I went ashore one day with a couple other guys. There were a couple other countries warships there but I guess everyone was too bummed to get into any fights.

................Buckshot

Junior1942
01-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Buckshot, you story reminded me of the "Serviceman's Club" in Naples, Italy, back in the early 60s. I well remember the 25 cent Heinekins there. That place would be packed with guys from all branches of US military + guys from warships all over the world. They even had great entertainment--first rate acts of all descriptions. I was an FTM2 on the USS Lawrence DDG4.

Buckshot
01-28-2006, 01:44 AM
...............Junior 1942, " I was an FTM2 on the USS Lawrence DDG4."

The 'FT' is a Fire controlman, right? I was an Interior Communications Electrician and the FT's fire contol computer was in our shop. Or our switchboards, gyro, and gen sets were in 'their' space, however you wanna look at it 8).

Their computer was a big old electro-mechanical job. Some info came down from the director and some from the radar I suppose, but they wore headsets and manually cranked in some data too. Thing was about as big around and a bit taller then a dinner table. I don't know if it had been upgraded since 1945 or not.

................Buckshot

lovedogs
02-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Sounds like some of you had interesting tours of duty. Myself, I was on both the USS Independence (CVA-62) and USS Forrestal (CVA-59), bird farms, and all I got was a tour of Cuba and twice daily runs up the Guantanamo River across from Gitmo. I do remember how lively it got when we had swim call. We'd deployed from Norfolk where it was winter (if you call what they get there winter) and upon arriving Gitmo we like to died of the heat. So we'd have swim call. Within minutes the 1MC would boom loud and clear.."Shark Call!" We swabbies could have been in the Olympics we swam out of there so fast. Guess we all have some memories, huh?