PDA

View Full Version : 44 Magnum Nickel Brass

deltaenterprizes
01-28-2024, 09:44 AM
Where would the I find some nickel plated 44 Magnum brass?

waksupi
01-28-2024, 11:35 AM
When you find it, it can scratch your loading dies.

deltaenterprizes
01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
A friend is looking for some. The last time I saw it was on Midway’s website in the 80s when they were doing a bunch of different headstamps.

Got lucky with a google search and found some at Grafs!
Nothing came up last time I tried!

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-28-2024, 04:07 PM
Graf's has Starline in stock.

deltaenterprizes
01-28-2024, 08:25 PM
When you find it, it can scratch your loading dies.

I have done plenty of 38, 357 and 45 nickel with no problems for the last 40 years!

alfadan
01-28-2024, 10:25 PM
It won't scratch TC dies, but I don't like it because of cracks and flaking of the plating at the mouth.

FISH4BUGS
01-29-2024, 02:19 PM

I have a bunch. I don't know why anyone would like them. but different strokes for different folks.
Most are once fired as far as I can tell.
PM me if you are still looking.
fish4bugs

georgerkahn
01-29-2024, 02:28 PM

According to my "computer inventory" I have 112 nickel .44 Magnum cases. I suggest you place a Want To Buy (WTB) listing in the S&S section of this forum, and I (as well as perhaps others) may very well reply!
geo

fg-machine
01-30-2024, 07:37 PM
The plated cases are nice to have if they are going in leather , I've ran a lot of plated .357 threw carbide dies with nary a problem .

JimB..
01-30-2024, 09:27 PM
I’ve got nickel brass that’s worn through over the years. Have split a bunch, but don’t recall flaking on a straight-wall case. Would love some in 45-70.

farmbif
01-30-2024, 09:36 PM
According to my "computer inventory" I have 112 nickel .44 Magnum cases. I suggest you place a Want To Buy (WTB) listing in the S&S section of this forum, and I (as well as perhaps others) may very well reply!
geo

"computer inventory" I have enough problem sorting through plastic bags of brass and ammo kept in big plastic totes

nicholst55
01-30-2024, 10:01 PM
"computer inventory" I have enough problem sorting through plastic bags of brass and ammo kept in big plastic totes

I've been threatening to do a spreadsheet inventory of all my reloading components for decades. I may even get around to it some day.

Bazoo
01-30-2024, 11:31 PM
I have a very limited supply of 44 Special brass that I use for carry in my belt pouch. Everything else is plain brass. I'd love to have 500 pieces of both special and magnum nickel brass.

I have 20 30-30 cases from a box a friend bought. If I ever do an extended hunt with the 30-30 somewhere, I'll put those into use in my cartridge slide.

Tripplebeards
01-31-2024, 08:04 PM
It looks cool until it cracks and flakes off. I’ve had some that have been around my stable since the 90s and still in action. I have tumbled it so much and cleaned it that the silver has worn off in a lot of spots and brass is showing through. lol. It’s still going.

georgerkahn
01-31-2024, 10:26 PM

Well, I had plastic bags of "this" and coffee cans of "that" as well as plastic boxes of "more", which was cool. EXCEPT when I went to load some .30-30 Remington, I KNEW I had just spent a small fortune on new brass -- and could not find any of it! Coging on this for a bit, I came across relatively inexpensive cardboard boxes from U-Line or Amazon (I don't recall which), printed a label for each box end with my Brother QL500 printer, and put most all my brass into them. Within the boxes are individual bags labeled with number of firings; if trimmed; if annealed; etc., etc., etc. It is now an extreme pleasure for me to simply go out to garage, open a box, and bring in whatever calibre I wish to load. 322890 322891
Here's where the "computer inventory" comes in, as I can simply check the SmartDraw sheet to ascertain I do in fact have brass for the calibre I plan to load. *BUT* here's where I cover myself with the "according" as I've been known to both add and take out brass without updating ;) oops! I cropped my inventory sheet so you may see "what I do" -- without my sharing my brass holdings in total with the world :).
It works quite nicely for me!
geo

JimB..
02-01-2024, 12:11 AM
I like those boxes.
I’ve done about the same thing but with ammo cans which are relatively expensive.

Bazoo
02-01-2024, 12:42 AM
Well, I had plastic bags of "this" and coffee cans of "that" as well as plastic boxes of "more", which was cool. EXCEPT when I went to load some .30-30 Remington, I KNEW I had just spent a small fortune on new brass -- and could not find any of it! Coging on this for a bit, I came across relatively inexpensive cardboard boxes from U-Line or Amazon (I don't recall which), printed a label for each box end with my Brother QL500 printer, and put most all my brass into them. Within the boxes are individual bags labeled with number of firings; if trimmed; if annealed; etc., etc., etc. It is now an extreme pleasure for me to simply go out to garage, open a box, and bring in whatever calibre I wish to load. 322890 322891
Here's where the "computer inventory" comes in, as I can simply check the SmartDraw sheet to ascertain I do in fact have brass for the calibre I plan to load. *BUT* here's where I cover myself with the "according" as I've been known to both add and take out brass without updating ;) oops! I cropped my inventory sheet so you may see "what I do" -- without my sharing my brass holdings in total with the world :).
It works quite nicely for me!
geo

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I might just do the same. So far, I'm doing the ziplocs in and around a 5 gallon bucket thing.

georgerkahn
02-01-2024, 10:35 AM
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I might just do the same. So far, I'm doing the ziplocs in and around a 5 gallon bucket thing.

Trust me, Bazoo -- if you go this, or similar route, I can almost guarantee you shan't regret it! In my 50+ years of reloading, imho this is one of the "bestest" mods I've done. Just not having zip-lok, bread, and other plastic bags all over the place with "?????" in each has almost been a God-send! And, again, just the time-savings alone made it more than worth the very few dollars spent!
One "mod" I'm adding is a clip-board hanging in front of sixty boxes, with the hopes I can and will -- at the TIME of brass removal/insertion -- jot down changes. E.g, at fall's (almost) end I wanted to load some .32 Winchester Special, so I took a bag of 100 from its box and brought it into house. I loaded 40 rounds, and -- snowing and cold when I took now-less bag out -- I put (tossed ;)) bag on my casting bench. Later, I went out for another calibre, and have no idea where the bag of .32 Win Sp went; did I return it to box.. did it fall on cement floor behind it.. ????
So -- a friendly suggestion -- if you go this route, get a clip-board and hopes (maybe you already have it) for the discipline to keep it up to date!
geo

FISH4BUGS
02-01-2024, 12:21 PM
I use 5 gallon buckets and smaller cat litter boxes for my brass storage.
What I make sure of is that EVERY zip loc bag is labeled with a note inside as the status of the brass.
Nothing worse than getting ready to load 1000 223 and not know the status of the brass - how many times fired? trimmed? Swaged? Chamfered/deburred? Sized?
A note makes life easier.