PDA

View Full Version : browning 53 hammer spring removal

PAndy
01-27-2024, 01:05 PM
Does anyone have a tool or a good trick for removing and installing the hammer spring and strut pieces on a Browning 53? I am not coming up with a good idea and am worried about losing the parts. probably not replaceable!

FYI the 53 has a different system than the Winchesters or Rossi's, and I think it's different than the Browning 1892. The 53 has a two piece telescoping spring strut that is not attached to the hammer.

Any input welcomed, thanks.

PAndy

Nobade
01-27-2024, 01:26 PM
I haven't worked on one of those so not sure but does it have a hole in the spring strut that lets you insert a paperclip to keep the spring compressed?

indian joe
01-28-2024, 10:57 PM
why they do this stupid crap with coil springs where a flat one was sposed to go ?

Nobade
01-29-2024, 04:06 AM
why they do this stupid crap with coil springs where a flat one was sposed to go ?

You'll really be saying that if you try to take apart one of their 1885 single shots.

PAndy
01-29-2024, 04:01 PM
322772 322773

hope the photos work. It is very stiff, short, and not much room to get at it. The strut is a telescoping two piece set up. It would be awesome if it had a flat strut with the 'paper clip hole' in the tail to make it easier to work with. No such luck.

Nobade
01-29-2024, 07:16 PM
It probably works like my B92. You take the lower tang off to remove the spring, when you're ready to reassemble it you put the tang back on and the spring just slips into place with a strong thumb. There's no good way to remove it without taking the tang off. Yours looks almost identical to mine. You place the top end into the seat in the back of the hammer, and the bottom just snaps into it's place.