PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Mold Prices at Midway

justindad
01-26-2024, 10:12 PM
MidwayUSA has 4-C Saeco molds with a new list price of $327 and 2-C RCBS molds with a list price of $181. RCBS sells their molds directly for $135 and Grafs has better prices on Saeco molds. Crazy pricing from Midway.

SquibCity
01-26-2024, 10:21 PM
i've noticed quite a few things priced too high at midway lately, odd, they usually are pretty good on things.

35 Rem
01-26-2024, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I've noticed some like that too recently. It's almost like they are using some kind of random number generator to set the price. There is no rationale for one mold costing significantly more than another of the same basic type within a brand. I think the thing to do is put it on your Wish List and watch for it to drop. OR find it elsewhere at an acceptable price now if possible.

sukivel
01-26-2024, 10:34 PM
I just bought 3 Lee molds from Titan. I first compared prices, and Midway was just slightly better the eBay, which are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justindad
01-26-2024, 11:45 PM
If people are paying $300 for a four-banger, then I think it’s time I tool up and start producing top quality molds.

barnabus
01-29-2024, 04:35 AM
Larry Potterfield has always been money hungry and his family is too.I quit buying from him long ago

YoungGun88
01-29-2024, 04:41 AM
Gotta pay for that fancy automated order picking system ;-)

https://www.midwayusa.com/larrys-short-stories/our-first-distribution-center-part-three/286

schutzen-jager
01-29-2024, 08:26 AM
Larry Potterfield has always been money hungry and his family is too.I quit buying from him long ago

completely agree - personally gave up dealing with them long ago -

Mr Peabody
01-29-2024, 10:16 AM
I think Larry is trying to pay for LaPierre's lawyers

schutzen-jager
01-29-2024, 11:17 AM
I think Larry is trying to pay for LaPierre's lawyers

could be a fact !

deces
01-29-2024, 11:36 AM
My gripe with midway is that they will resell returns at full price. I know a guy who bought a bag of Norma brass and half of the bag had burnt powder residue on the necks.

jdgabbard
01-29-2024, 12:34 PM
Nothing new. Everyone is charging way more for molds than they're worth. Even in the S&S section here you'll find prices that make you scratch your head. Saw a Arsenal or NOE mold the other day was was used, and priced about $10 lower than the mold is new. Why on earth would I buy your used mold for essentially the same price that I can buy a new one for????? Then you have the heavily used single and double Ideal/Lyman molds of common designs going for $50. Again, why am I going to buy that when I can get a new one for a little more, or even a copy from MP, NOE, or Arsenal for $80-100 with 4-5 cavities or more.... Makes no sense. What's even more confusing is that PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY BUYING THEM.

I attribute this to panic buying. People have lost their minds over the political situation, and are buying whatever they can at whatever price they can. That's the only thing I can come up with that makes any sense in my head...

35 Rem
01-29-2024, 02:48 PM
On the subject of MidwayUSA pricing, for those that aren't aware, if you let them know when your birthday is, they will send you an email about that time giving you a week or so to buy at special "Birthday prices". Sometimes the discounts are significant such as 30% or so. I put lots of items in my "Wish list" all through the year then reconsider getting them on my birthday.

Tripplebeards
01-29-2024, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I forgot all about it and went on their website by accident yesterday and I’m glad I did. I haven’t bought anything from them for a couple of years and I’m guessing my emails go to my junk folder so I didn’t get an email telling me I had birthday pricing. I should’ve got more stuff, including some broadheads. Speaking of that those were the last things I bought from them and returned the first two packs because they had bent blades and came damaged. They threw them back up on their website at the time for the same prices the sale price and my buddy bought them. They they were listed as new, but they had my return label inside the plastic cartons. lol. Needless to say he returned them and they’re for sale again because they’re listed twice and have not been listed twice ever since I returned them and my buddy bought them and returned them.��

But anyways, I rolled the dice because Ruger Rosewood grips for my new super wrangler were 23 bucks with my birthday price and only five bucks to ship! I remember I bought my last set from them and they also came damaged because they were shipped loose in a yellow envelope. After two returns the eventually sent me a set that weren’t damaged so I’m sure I’ll go through it again but I figured it save me over $20 from buying them directly from Ruger and hopefully they’ll get it right the first time around. They only let you make a one time purchase, so you better pick all your stuff out at once with the birthday special. I just expect things to be wrong and damaged when I order from them and I’ll have to return it once or twice till they get it right. So I really don’t roll the dice with them anymore unless it’s under 30 bucks. I think I ordered some gas checks from them a while back too. Figured those were safe but they put them in a bubble wrap envelope and it was squished with gas checks all over in it. They sure like to save money on packaging. I’ll tell you that much.

https://i.imgur.com/rvS9Ieh.png

James Wisner
01-30-2024, 07:16 AM
Watch the clearance section of Midway

Last month I got a Saeco 4 cav mold to my door for $ 159.00
Guess not many people want a 4 cav wad-cutter mold in 32 caliber

pmer
01-30-2024, 07:27 AM
Might as well check out NOE molds or Accurate Molds, custom made quality.

Garyshome
01-30-2024, 07:54 AM
I never purchased anything from Midway that I thought was a bargain.

pete501
01-30-2024, 04:30 PM
Way back when the shipping was free, I would get a flyer every month with deals on the front and back cover. It was a rare month when I didn't buy something. Then there was a change, they started "fair and honest shipping". The deals dried up and my spending habits came to an abrupt halt.

Rickf1985
01-30-2024, 09:34 PM
Keep in mind that Midway is no longer run by Larry. Not even sure his family is still involved. It is all corporate now. All about the profit. I used to get good deals at Midway years ago. Their customer service was excellent back then also. Certainly not now!!!

makeurownfun
02-01-2024, 09:08 AM
If you think that is nuts, lookup Shooters World powders @ Midway... They are WAY over any other website

rintinglen
02-01-2024, 10:06 AM
I have to say that while at first I thought somebody was making a mountain out of a mole hill in price comparisons, I was surprised to find that it was absolutely the case that Midways prices were 10-20% higher than at some of the other online dealers. Graf and sons had the the Lyman 311-291 for 89.99, Midway 99.99, while Midsouth has it for 83.99. Saeco 4 cavities were 219.99 at Graf, 269.99 at Midway. I guess somebody has to pay for the fishing lures and camping supplies.
It's too bad, because I had purchased most of my reloading supplies from them for nearly 30 years from the 80's until the 2000's, but I will certainly checking prices elsewhere on anything I need before hitting the "add to cart" icon.

justindad
02-01-2024, 11:00 AM
I have source knowledge of big box stores raising prices just because people were expecting inflation. “They’re expecting inflation, so let’s give it to them!” I’m buying less and seeking out value. Those greedy voices can go pound sand. I was considering a steel .45 Colt sizing die, but the price jumped about $15 while the item was in my cart. So, I’m not buying that steel die - carbide is good enough and so is a used die. They raise their prices, but they don’t pay their people any more. I’m done.

Smk SHoe
02-02-2024, 09:49 PM
I use to buy every month thru midway. Would get the flyer and fill out the back and send a check. Then ordering online and knowing something was in stock was great. Prices were always good and usually had what I needed. NOW, I do a lot more shopping around because midways prices are really higher than other’s. I still order from midway but only about 10% of what I use to.

Kentucky146
02-07-2024, 07:30 PM
I have used Titan, Midway, Amazon and E-Bay, Mid South, Precision, Track of the Wolf, Muzzle Loaders. Com and Many Forums as suppliers of molds. I have learned 1) Stick with LEE they are generally the "Budget Mold" as for SAECO, NOE, RCBS, LYMAN there are a few more "Custom" others I scream from, prices are insane when LEE does the same job, as for the many suppliers, well E-Bay buy it now, if price is reasonable Forums are the same if price is reasonable. as for the others some might be running a sale, or I may have a coupon code, knocking anything from 15% to free shipping. I am currently looking at a Swede Mold .264 6.5 for my Arisaka double cav $32 I think ship is included. OF COURSE I broke in with COOVID and a round ball .490 USED folks had $129 plus $69 ship, I did not do it then I aint gonna pay now either

barnabus
02-10-2024, 06:58 AM
lying larrys family or whoever runs it now is on the make. tac powder for 8lbs is $294 everywhere midway wants $374 i buy nothing from them

dg31872
02-10-2024, 11:44 AM
I go to Midway first. Primarily because I find their website easier to find things. Then I search the other favorite sites for prices.
Occasionally, Midway has smoking deals. And sometimes free shipping.

gifbohane
02-10-2024, 03:22 PM
During COVID and the "shortage" I was on the list for primers for over 2 years at Midway. Never came to the top of the list or got a notice of availability. Wrote to them many times, got corporatespeak answers.

Don't think that I bought from them since. I often wonder why they never contacted me about my not buying, since I bought almost everything from them.

barnabus
02-11-2024, 03:51 PM
I have used Titan, Midway, Amazon and E-Bay, Mid South, Precision, Track of the Wolf, Muzzle Loaders. Com and Many Forums as suppliers of molds. I have learned 1) Stick with LEE they are generally the "Budget Mold" as for SAECO, NOE, RCBS, LYMAN there are a few more "Custom" others I scream from, prices are insane when LEE does the same job, as for the many suppliers, well E-Bay buy it now, if price is reasonable Forums are the same if price is reasonable. as for the others some might be running a sale, or I may have a coupon code, knocking anything from 15% to free shipping. I am currently looking at a Swede Mold .264 6.5 for my Arisaka double cav $32 I think ship is included. OF COURSE I broke in with COOVID and a round ball .490 USED folks had $129 plus $69 ship, I did not do it then I aint gonna pay now either

lol Lee doesnt do the same job.I have never had to fix a rcbs lyman or any other mould just to get it to run.

RogerDat
02-11-2024, 04:11 PM
I have source knowledge of big box stores raising prices just because people were expecting inflation. “They’re expecting inflation, so let’s give it to them!” I’m buying less and seeking out value. Those greedy voices can go pound sand. I was considering a steel .45 Colt sizing die, but the price jumped about $15 while the item was in my cart. So, I’m not buying that steel die - carbide is good enough and so is a used die. They raise their prices, but they don’t pay their people any more. I’m done.

I think the retail stores responded to higher interest rates more directly than inflation. Either due to their own cost to borrow or because if I can make 5% in safe, guaranteed interest return from banks or bonds from government entities OR 3% by investing in a bunch of inventory then I'm likely to increase prices to where return from inventory investment is closer to low risk interest based investments.

I don't figure much of that increase goes to workers who despite consistent large increases in worker productivity wages haven't reflected that, or really kept up with inflation over last few decades.

SavageKustoms
02-11-2024, 04:13 PM
Tripplebeards, I put those grips on my super wrangler and they look and feel a thousand times better than factory plastics. Can't count how many things showed up smashed in a plastic trash bag mailer from midway in the last few years. Would a box really kill your bottom line?Frustrating for sure.

mtnman31
02-22-2024, 12:39 PM
In the late 90's early 2000's, I bought a ton from Midway. Now, I rarely even search their site, let alone make any purchases. Their prices have gone up considerably and their sales are much less attractive to me. I tend to do more business with Midsouth, Grafs, and occasionally Brownells.

Half Dog
02-22-2024, 12:57 PM
I’ve scrolled through the powder section and I came away feeling very wealthy.