PDA

View Full Version : Lining a 12ga for 14ga - is it possible?

Tokarev
02-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I have an antique 1894 vintage Belgian shotgun. Under Canadian law, if it was not 12, 16 etc. gauge, it would be antique. I want to convert it into antique in order to get it off my records, but have a question: it has steps in the chambers in place of the modern forcing cones. Would it be possible to get the liners manufactured and installed in this configuration? Any indication of who might manufacture the liners for me is appreciated!

Also, I am wondering about extraction - how would the extractors work after conversion? Perhaps they would need to have some meat welded onto them.

OBCoal
02-17-2009, 10:58 PM
You can try this site, they maybe able to help http://www.briley.com/

Tokarev
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Oh, Christ, that's expensive! I thought something in the 100 dollar range would do.

Old Ironsights
02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Nope. But Anything is possible if you have the scratch.

You might find a custom double guy to do a permenant line for you, but I can't imagine it costing less than $300... which, IIRC was what I was told I could get my 16 damascus lined down to 20 for.

Tokarev
02-18-2009, 02:13 PM
What about the tubes that are inserted into the chamber, can I cheat and simply solder those in?

Old Ironsights
02-18-2009, 02:21 PM
What about the tubes that are inserted into the chamber, can I cheat and simply solder those in?

I haven't seen any "guage-mates","Chamber Mates", or "Lil Skeeters" in anything but standard guages.

HOWEVER, a competent Double 'Smith will CERTAINLY be able to do a chamber reduction at Hourly Rates. Still come out to couple of hundred though.

BTW, if the law types allow it, that is NOT a bad way to go. I shoot .410 out of a 16ga Damascus Double that way. Actually pretty accurate.

Tokarev
02-18-2009, 04:10 PM
How do you extract the spent cases from the tubes?

Old Ironsights
02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
With a permenant insert, I would think that a 'smith would modify the extractor/ejector to work on the rim of the smaller guage.

Tokarev
02-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Either that, or in the case of 14ga I would imagine that turning brass on a lathe with the rims size of 12ga rims would work. Guess, turning brass is the only option, isn't it?

Old Ironsights
02-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I can't say about 14ga. I'm stuck on 16.

Tokarev
02-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Interesting enough, 14ga case diameter is exactly 3/4". There must be a way to make shells out of some kind of pipe. 3/4" is much more natural than for example 12ga shell diameter.

This is sounding more and more like an interesting project. Having an antique shotgun which does not require license or registration and is fun to shoot is something I would be willing to spend a buck for. The only constraint is the strength of its action!

OLPDon
02-21-2009, 11:26 PM
How do you extract the spent cases from the tubes?

I have a Winchester Mod 96 12 ga. over/under which I picked up about 12 or 15 yrs ago it came with 410, 28ga., & 20ga briley tubes. The tubes are taped in place with a small leather malet. To remove the tubes there is a plastic type steped punch and taped out. Doesn't take much effort to tap in or out. In all the yrs I have had it I never used the shotgun without the tubes (meaning 12ga shells have not been shot by me I am sure the previous owner did but the barrels are as shinny as new.

I don't recall how much I paid for the Win. but I do think the Briley tubes are the way to go well worth the money if you have a shotgun you Love and wish you had the same clone in a smaller ga. With the tubes inplace the point of impact is the same with all the tubes indeed they do quality work.
The tubes have the extractor built in and they lay to the regular extractors.
Don