PDA

View Full Version : Vaquero Questions

Potsy
02-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Been kicking around getting one more .45 single action. I've owned a few and currently only have one (Ruger Bisley). I'd like this one to be lighter (colt sized frame) and would load for it accordingly (250 grainers @ 900 fps).

My question is, with loads in this range, do the new Vaqueros shoot to their fixed sights out of the box, or do they usually require some regulating? Yes, I know it is a subjective question, everybody shoots differently, but I'd rather not have to monkey with the sights if I could avoid it and I'd like to know my odds going in.

Another question, I know Ruger will build a .45 ACP cylinder on request for Blackhawks, but will they build one for the new model Vaqueros as well?

Thanks!!
Potsy

Don McDowell
02-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Mine shoots to the sights just fine with normal 45 colt loads.
If you shoot the Single Actions Squib Shooters type loads you'll need to play with it a bit to find out what hold to use.

Four Fingers of Death
02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
MIne shoot to point of aim with Winchester Factory ammo that was made for SASS shooting. Mind you I haven't tried to do any precision work with it, but got my mate to spot and he reckons they were going dead centre of the steel target at the range.

They are a pretty whoompy load, but it also shoots John Wayne ammo to point of aim as well and those suckers have got a bit of boot about them.

MIck.

longuner
02-17-2009, 07:01 PM
I have a new vaquero in 45 colt that shoots the 270saa bullet to point of aim, but when i got the gun it shot about an inch to the left, fixed that easy enough. havent tried any other bullet much.

Longuner

pietro
02-18-2009, 02:26 PM
My new .45 Colt New Vaquero shoots every factory ammo I've tried so far, all around 250grs, to the sights @ 25 yds.

I expect that my blackpowder/roundball gallery loads won't, though - when I get a chance to get it to my club's range again.

Mine has the shortest barrel, though - YMMV with a longer barrel, due to barrel time for the slug(s).

txbirdman
02-18-2009, 04:06 PM
My old model 4 5/8" 45 Colt Vaquero shot everything low and to the left when I got it. The low was easy to fix but I had to widen the sight channel and play around with bullet styles and powder to get it shooting to the sights. I now use the Lee 255 RFN with 9 gr. of Unique mostly.

August
02-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Both of my new vaqueros came exactly regulated for factory level rounds. I had to lower the front sight a bit for cowboy action loads, which are slower and with lighter bullets than factory loads. They both shot exactly to point of aim with factory stuff out of the box, however.

Dale53
02-18-2009, 07:13 PM
When the original Vaqueros came out, I heard that Ruger regulated them with a laser set up. My first Vaquero was a 4 5/8" revolver. Windage was perfect on it (at 25 yards on the standard NRA Bullseye target). However, it shot low. The front sight was plenty enough taller than need be to enable me to carefully (over three different range sessions) to get it zeroed perfectly. Later, I wanted to get a Bisley Vaquero with a 5.5" barrel. A dealer paid me a premium for the Vaquero because it was regulated for 25 yards (dead on point of aim).

My Bisley Vaquero was dead on at point of aim at 25 yards right out of the box. I don't pretend to know how common that is but I was and am impressed. Those fixed sighted Rugers have excellent fixed sights by the way.

I would hope that Ruger does as good a job in the newer, smaller, lighter Vaqueros.

Dale53

jnovotny
02-18-2009, 08:05 PM
I have a pair of consecutive # old model vaqueros,and they shoot great out of the box. I don't like the thinner new style.