PDA

View Full Version : S&W has a new one

snowwolfe
01-22-2024, 10:45 AM
https://www.smith-wesson.com/1854

The 1 in 20 twist could be a winner if the action can handle the COL of longer bullets.

cwtebay
01-22-2024, 10:46 AM
I just saw that this morning, quite a discrepancy between base and limited edition. Some interesting features to be sure.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
01-22-2024, 10:50 AM
I'll take one! Looks like it would be perfect for rainy days.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-22-2024, 11:45 AM
Very interesting. They must want some of Henry's market share.

DG

MrWolf
01-22-2024, 12:08 PM
See the price of the wood version? Ouch

rintinglen
01-22-2024, 12:59 PM
I guess trees have become harder to kill--blued, wood-stocked equals nearly 3 times as costly. If I didn't already have a Marlin 44, I'd be looking pretty hard at this one, but not the "Special edition."

Ford SD
01-22-2024, 02:29 PM
wood stock shown is a limited edition

Kestrel4k
01-22-2024, 03:20 PM
Reminds me of the Italian-mfg Chiappa 44Mag rifles (I confess to being less familiar with the Henry rifles); any word on where these are made ?

Bazoo
01-22-2024, 03:31 PM
Cool. I don’t care for the plastic version but the wood version, tamed down aesthetically would be pretty sweet. I can see it sticking around, Smith&Wesson has a solid fan base.

veeman
01-22-2024, 03:58 PM
Yuck. No Thanks.

dverna
01-22-2024, 04:03 PM
The Mag Tube system sounds interesting.

35 Rem
01-22-2024, 04:16 PM
At least we will have another lever gun on the market to give competition. I hope they will make a wood stock version with normal wood so you don't have to buy on the 25-year payment plan. :)

Pereira
01-22-2024, 04:21 PM
Reminds me of the Italian-mfg Chiappa 44Mag rifles (I confess to being less familiar with the Henry rifles); any word on where these are made ?

From what I've read right here in Tennessee at their new facility.

Yeah that wood is some European type.

RP

JRD
01-22-2024, 04:32 PM
The limited edition blue ones have high grade walnut stocks where the wood costs way more than the stainless version of the rifle. They will likely due a blue version with plain walnut that is a closer to the stainless/ polymer price. The stainless version is priced to be competitive with the new Ruger/ Marlins.

For traditionalists who only like to shoot vintage lever actions, this doesn't get us excited, but there is a large group of newer gun people who grew up on plastic bottom feeders and AR's and are ready to branch out into revolvers and lever actions. Hence Henry getting into revolvers and S&W now getting into leverguns.
There is also some market demand for straight wall cartridge hunting rifles in certain states.

It can't hurt for there to be another player to compete for market share in the levergun space.

higgins
01-22-2024, 04:43 PM
Based on internet talk, I believe some people are looking at pistol caliber lever guns for "tactical" purposes. Makes sense if one lives where semiautos are regulated, and many are already familiar with lever gun handling anyway. Also just fun to shoot.

gc45
01-22-2024, 04:43 PM
Ugly. making tactical levers will make them added to the anti gun list at some point, especially when some kid kills somebody with one.

Gray Fox
01-22-2024, 05:37 PM
Early on in my shooting SASS (4-digit badge life member), when we used to shoot moderate .45 Colt loads, not mouse fart .38 short Colt in a tricked-out 1873 rifle clone, several of us used to comment that if the anti-gunners could see what a trained person could do with a lever action .44 or .45 they'd try to get them banned, too. The tactical look sure detracts from classic beauty. If I need more than 12 rounds of .44 mag or .45 Colt from a 24" '92 clone I'm in deep kimchee. GF

FergusonTO35
01-22-2024, 06:55 PM
I don't mind synthetic and stainless at all. It's no fun to choose between go home because my blue/wood rifle is going to melt in the rain or keep hunting since I only get two weeks of rifle season. What I don't like is putting square miles of accessory rails, red dots, and CAR stocks on everything.

Bazoo
01-22-2024, 08:27 PM
If you remove the threaded muzzle, the rail, and the large lever, it'd be pretty handsome.

I'd definitely consider one in 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-c7gr8wg3cg/products/996/images/4153/14079-sw-LA_Rifle-OnWhite_Right-cutout__61095.1705334314.1280.1280.png?c=1

SquibCity
01-22-2024, 08:28 PM
Videos popping up everywhere on youtube overnight on this. Looks Awesome. I Dig The Limited Edition Version 1854.
Will be interested to see what cartridges they will offer later on.

BK7saum
01-22-2024, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't mind a 45 colt, myself. I sold off all my marlins but the 357 CL. Heavy, subsonic 45 colt suppressed in my 45 pistol suppressor ought to be a real quiet hog/deer slayer.

Rockindaddy
01-22-2024, 08:49 PM
Can't believe S&W would lawyer up with that useless cross hammer block. Best way to blow a trophy shot. I have removed a pile of those cross hammer blocks during my career as a country gunsmith. Probably could fill a small notebook with stories of missed shots because that cross hammer block that got accidently pushed and the hammer came crashing down with a loud click during that critical shot !!! Many an 8 ~10 point buck lived another day because of those dumb blocks. My question is: "why is there a safety notch on the hammer that keeps the hammer from resting on the firing pin". For me that is safety enough. How many lever guns have been manufactured for over 100 years without a hammer cross block? None of my dozen or so Winchester or Marlin lever guns has that stupid cross block bolt.

JRD
01-22-2024, 11:36 PM
The scope rail can be removed a the XS peep placed on top of the bare receiver. The rifle looks much cleaner that way. The threaded muzzle is unfortunately a reflection of the market in 2024. If you really want you could have a gunsmith cut and recrown to remove the threads. It won’t interfere with the front sight.
The cross bolt safety… lawyers.

Texas by God
01-23-2024, 12:33 AM
If you remove the threaded muzzle, the rail, and the large lever, it'd be pretty handsome.

I'd definitely consider one in 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-c7gr8wg3cg/products/996/images/4153/14079-sw-LA_Rifle-OnWhite_Right-cutout__61095.1705334314.1280.1280.png?c=1

^^^My thoughts too^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwtebay
01-23-2024, 01:08 AM
The video I watched almost made it look like there was a "normal" lever on one rifle. Perhaps I was mistaken.
That said; your new lever gun owner will likely enjoy pulling the plug on the magazine to empty it, the rail for an optic, and the threaded muzzle for a suppressor.
Theodore Roosevelt had a scoped Winchester with a Maxim suppressor on it for "vermin" on Sagamore Hill. Wonder if anyone thought that was a bridge too far in his era?
Me personally? Not a fan of the aesthetics - but I can appreciate the practicality.

Eddie Southgate
01-23-2024, 01:16 AM
That's ugly as a Henry , I'll pass.

Bazoo
01-23-2024, 01:51 AM
That's ugly as a Henry , I'll pass.

That gave me a chuckle, thanks!

sigep1764
01-23-2024, 02:45 AM
When I saw videos of this rifle early this morning from Sootch00, it looks exactly like a Marlin receiver. Licensed copy?

dverna
01-23-2024, 07:15 AM
Another "wait and see" offering unless someone has the money to scratch the itch. Many folks here went ga-ga over the new Ruger "Marlins" even after a member posted his review and was getting poor results with factory ammunition.

Don't know if some were Ruger fan boys, or lever action fan boys or what. $1000 for a gun that shoots softball size groups at 50 yards is not something I would be happy with.

Good post about folks looking at lever actions to fill the void that has been, or may be created, by banning AR's. I think the same way. That is reason I kept a couple of .30/30's, as I have no other use for them. The .357 carbines will work for self defense at 100 yards, plus are fun to shoot, so I rationalized keeping them too.

FergusonTO35
01-23-2024, 09:56 AM
When I saw videos of this rifle early this morning from Sootch00, it looks exactly like a Marlin receiver. Licensed copy?

I don't see why they would have to license anything from Ruglin as long as it's not exactly identical in appearance, which could invite an IP infringement claim. Glock has sued a few gunmakers for producing a copy of their gun that was too close in appearance to the original. I can't imagine there are still any unexpired patents on Marlin lever actions.

Barry54
01-23-2024, 10:54 AM
My email from S&W this morning claims:

Textured polymer forend and stock compatible with Marlin® 1894 furniture.

freakonaleash
01-23-2024, 12:07 PM
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY that is one ugly gun! I'll keep buying originals..

sigep1764
01-23-2024, 01:57 PM
Says the pic rail and sight mounts are compatible with the Marlin 1894. It’s a Marlin copy in my eyes, with a removable magazine tube.

FergusonTO35
01-23-2024, 03:55 PM
Says the pic rail and sight mounts are compatible with the Marlin 1894. It’s a Marlin copy in my eyes, with a removable magazine tube.

Hmm, did not know that. In any event I still wouldn't mind having one. More lever actions to choose from is always a good thing. I have a suspicion that if real world prices for the Marlin and this new S&W go under a grand they are going to cut into Rossi and Henry sales bigtime. Rossi in particular, as their prices keep creeping up yet Rossi is still regarded as a cheap gun brand. I really like my 92 .357 but no way would I pay almost the same as a Henry, which is what they now go for here.

Bazoo
01-23-2024, 04:05 PM
It it takes marlin pattern wood, that’ll be a real plus. You can get the stainless version and put a wood stock on an have a nice gun in short order.

freakonaleash
01-23-2024, 05:36 PM
I see no reason to continually reinvent the wheel.

Mk42gunner
01-23-2024, 06:09 PM
I'm not a fan of the big loop levers, nor the threaded muzzle.

The unloading by pulling the inner magtube trick ala .22 rifle makes me shake my head.

I think I will give this one a hard pass.

Robert

NW42
01-23-2024, 07:09 PM
I wish they’d make a version chambered in 460 or 500 S&W. Something more affordable than a Bighorn.

rockrat
01-23-2024, 09:18 PM
I have heard of people putting an O-ring on the crossbolt safety to keep it from ruining a once in a lifetime shot.

Tall
01-23-2024, 09:25 PM
Not seeing any redeeming social value. It has all the bad points of a Marlin and all the bad points of a Henry with an unnecessary safety! Headed for the not made any more list.

elmacgyver0
01-23-2024, 10:30 PM
I like my ugly, sucky Henry with its threaded barrel and removable magazine tube.

sigep1764
01-24-2024, 01:38 AM
I love my lever guns, I have a variety of them. Henry, Winchester, and Marlin. All do the same thing, but all are different and pretty in their own way. My rub with S&W is they didn’t do it their way. It’s simply a copy that they’ll charge more for to cover whatever licensing fees they incur or because they are a “premium” brand. And two models in only one available caliber. And they want an arm and a leg for the fancy version. I’ll keep buying nice older Marlins and Winnie’s and new Henry’s.

376Steyr
01-24-2024, 04:18 AM
So now it's a race between Marlin and S&W as to who will supply the stainless, railed, and threaded 357 that I'm waiting for.

FergusonTO35
01-24-2024, 09:54 AM
I have heard of people putting an O-ring on the crossbolt safety to keep it from ruining a once in a lifetime shot.

That's what I do, a spare injector cover o-ring from my MF-165 was a perfect fit. With the o-ring in place, the safety will not engage unless you push it so hard it tears the o-ring.

freakonaleash
01-24-2024, 12:18 PM
I think Winchester nailed lever guns with the M95 as did marlin with their M95. there was no need to design any farther.
It would be nice if somebody would come out with a new traditional lever gun chambered in 38 56, 38 70, 40 70, 40 82 or 40 65 with traditional slow twist rifling, true express rounds just like the old days. The 45 70 is just too boring....

Gray Fox
01-24-2024, 01:36 PM
I appreciate your liking the old calibers, but in the interim, I'd just like to see some brass available in .38-55 and .375 Win that was only available on indefinite backorder. GF

cwtebay
01-24-2024, 02:08 PM
I think Winchester nailed lever guns with the M95 as did marlin with their M95. there was no need to design any farther.
It would be nice if somebody would come out with a new traditional lever gun chambered in 38 56, 38 70, 40 70, 40 82 or 40 65 with traditional slow twist rifling, true express rounds just like the old days. The 45 70 is just too boring....I can certainly get on board with you by wanting those things. But I think that it's like asking an engine manufacturer to start producing coal fired models - sure they probably have a niche market, but they're not likely to be profitable at a cost that is affordable.
One can certainly purchase an available production lever gun and rechamber to about anything one can imagine!
(And I'm on board with you on the '95 Winnie!)

freakonaleash
01-24-2024, 04:16 PM
I can certainly get on board with you by wanting those things. But I think that it's like asking an engine manufacturer to start producing coal fired models - sure they probably have a niche market, but they're not likely to be profitable at a cost that is affordable.
One can certainly purchase an available production lever gun and rechamber to about anything one can imagine!
(And I'm on board with you on the '95 Winnie!)

I'll just keep buying the old ones I guess. The quality is 100% better than this new stuff anyway.

cwtebay
01-24-2024, 09:06 PM
I'll just keep buying the old ones I guess. The quality is 100% better than this new stuff anyway.There ya go! Nothing wrong with that at all!

beechbum444
01-24-2024, 09:40 PM
At first glance, I wondered if Henry was making these for S and W...I have not researched it, but I thought it for a minute???

dverna
01-24-2024, 10:37 PM
It is great that companies are trying to offer something besides ARs and cheap bolt actions that shoot MOA. Like a few others, I am not enamored by tacticool lever actions, but I am old school and part of a shrinking market.

I could see getting a lever action in stainless steel and even a laminated stock. But over $1000 for something with a plastic stock does not sit right. But I would not be buying another lever action CF so what I think is immaterial. If this offering is successful for the newer crop of shooters, that is what matters.

I was lucky to get some “real” lever actions decades ago and am happy with them. But that new Winchester Ranger might suck me in if it shoots well.

Bigslug
01-24-2024, 10:46 PM
The Mag Tube system sounds interesting.

Henry (and/or Rossi?) does that. It adds a lot of weight. So probably a pass for me while I hold out for a Marlin Dark .357.

sigep1764
01-25-2024, 01:35 AM
In the videos, the SW's whole tube comes out, not just the inner tube like a Henry or a 22 tube loader. Might be a little lighter than a Henry. But the Henry tube fed Big Boy system may weigh 4 or 5 z more than say the equivalent Marlin or Winchester tube system. But theHenry over all does weigh a bit more than 5 oz over the others. Its heaviest out of my collection.

FergusonTO35
01-25-2024, 09:58 AM
I actually prefer more weight in most long guns. I'm a big guy and more weight helps me hold it steady.

Thundermaker
01-26-2024, 09:41 AM
The limited edition blue ones have high grade walnut stocks where the wood costs way more than the stainless version of the rifle. They will likely due a blue version with plain walnut that is a closer to the stainless/ polymer price. The stainless version is priced to be competitive with the new Ruger/ Marlins.

For traditionalists who only like to shoot vintage lever actions, this doesn't get us excited, but there is a large group of newer gun people who grew up on plastic bottom feeders and AR's and are ready to branch out into revolvers and lever actions. Hence Henry getting into revolvers and S&W now getting into leverguns.
There is also some market demand for straight wall cartridge hunting rifles in certain states.

It can't hurt for there to be another player to compete for market share in the levergun space.

It's nice to have a good knock around rifle that you're not so worried about getting scratched or having dew fall on it.

Tazman1602
01-26-2024, 03:25 PM
Man hard pass, I dated girls back inna day weren’t that ugly….jmho

Art

freakonaleash
01-26-2024, 06:42 PM
It's nice to have a good knock around rifle that you're not so worried about getting scratched or having dew fall on it.
That's what those ugly *** henrys are for.[smilie=w:

FergusonTO35
01-26-2024, 08:24 PM
Man hard pass, I dated girls back inna day weren’t that ugly….jmho

Art

Oh, but I did! Then I met my wife who is good looking and has low standards. For the win!

vonb
01-27-2024, 06:19 PM

I guess I just don’t understand how it’s costing people successful shots. Cock the hammer and use the safety just like a bolt gun. That way, you know the safety is off when you are ready to pull the trigger.

Not directed at you rockrat. Just a general observation from earlier posts.

mnewcomb59
01-27-2024, 06:30 PM
I guess I just don’t understand how it’s costing people successful shots. Cock the hammer and use the safety just like a bolt gun. That way, you know the safety is off when you are ready to pull the trigger.

Not directed at you rockrat. Just a general observation from earlier posts.

Simple. You decide to unload the gun and see that stupid safety button and start thinking about how you could just click it and unload all 10 rounds without worrying about bumping the trigger. Then you hop in the truck and go to the next deer driving location, load up, chamber and lower to half cock. The stupid safety never enters your mind because it has one specific use (unloading) while the main safety for 150 years is half cock. So now the big buck comes running through and stops at 5 yards. You shoulder the gun, cock it and let it fly just to hear the saddest little clink you could imagine. Nobody runs around with a lever gun at full cock and people would look at you funny if you did.

elmacgyver0
01-27-2024, 06:47 PM
That's what those ugly *** henrys are for.[smilie=w:

Judging by your picture, you're not so pretty either.:kidding:

elmacgyver0
01-27-2024, 06:52 PM
I remember an old Twilight Zone episode, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

freakonaleash
01-28-2024, 01:04 AM
Judging by your picture, you're not so pretty either.:kidding:
Everything I look in the mirror I see my dad staring back at me. Horrifying!

vonb
02-02-2024, 06:59 PM
Simple. You decide to unload the gun and see that stupid safety button and start thinking about how you could just click it and unload all 10 rounds without worrying about bumping the trigger. Then you hop in the truck and go to the next deer driving location, load up, chamber and lower to half cock. The stupid safety never enters your mind because it has one specific use (unloading) while the main safety for 150 years is half cock. So now the big buck comes running through and stops at 5 yards. You shoulder the gun, cock it and let it fly just to hear the saddest little clink you could imagine. Nobody runs around with a lever gun at full cock and people would look at you funny if you did.

You ever use a 1911? You don’t run them at half-cock when carrying them. My point is that moving between two different safety systems is what gets people in trouble. I see your point. My first experience with a 336 was to determine whether to use half-cock or use the safety. I chose the safety as it was consistent with my bolt gun use and my 1911 use.

freakonaleash
02-03-2024, 10:02 AM
So the theory there is if you don't have a 1911 you're good to go?

vonb
02-03-2024, 12:30 PM
So the theory there is if you don't have a 1911 you're good to go?

For me, it comes down to muscle memory and doing things the same way. YMMV