PDA

View Full Version : Advantage of peep sights?

the_ursus
02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm thinking of putting a peep sight on my Marlin 444 to see if it will give me a better target picture. My eyes aren't the greatest so I'm looking for an alternative to the the old dovetail.

carpetman
02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
The ursus--Dont know your age, but us folks that have reached the magic 40 and above where we seem to need bifocals over night, the peep helps make your eye focus--something it looses ability to do. If you in fact do need reading glasses, try this. Take some print you can read without your glasses. Either make a small pen hole in a piece of paper or you can bend your finger real tight where it leaves a small opening at the joint. Hold your finger or the paper next to your eye and you should be able to now read the print. Thats sorta what glasses do I'm told. Peep sights do the same thing.

Gerry N.
02-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm thinking of putting a peep sight on my Marlin 444 to see if it will give me a better target picture. My eyes aren't the greatest so I'm looking for an alternative to the the old dovetail.

(1)The eye naturally centers the image of the front sight in the reciever sight's aperture.
(2)The sight radius (distance between the sights) is usually five to ten inches longer making alignment much more accurate and consistent.
(3)Sight adjustments are much easier and more accurate.

For hunting, I remove the threaded insert. That makes a "ghost ring" which all but disappears in use. It takes a minute or two to grow accustomed to it.

Gerry N.

JSnover
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
For hunting, I remove the threaded insert. That makes a "ghost ring" which all but disappears in use. It takes a minute or two to grow accustomed to.

Gerry N.

+1!
I've done this with three of mine. Getting on target is faster and it's as accurate as I need it to be out to 125 yds.

mike in co
02-17-2009, 08:04 PM
yes,,,,,,

Brownie
02-17-2009, 08:31 PM
my eyes are 64years and 11mos old. the open sights are just a blur but I can see the peep sight just fine.

218bee
02-17-2009, 09:32 PM
+1 on the peep sight. My Marlin 336 in 35 Rem has had a set on it when I COULD see. I also removed aperture in rear and once gun is sighted you just put the front bead on target and don't even see the rear aperture. I really like em to 50-100yds after that I really need a scope.

Cimarron Red
02-17-2009, 10:42 PM
With open sights, the front sight, rear sight and target each lie in a separate optical plane. So the eye, especially the old eye, is asked to do something it cannot do well -- focus on three objects at the same time, really shifting focus between rear sight and front sight, allowing the target to blur slightly.

The peep sight -- tang or receiver -- allows the eye to look through the rear aperture and not focus on it while concentrating focus on the front sight and allowing the target to blur. So the front sight and the target represent only two optical planes.

The most efficient of all sights, the telescopic sight, places the rear sight, front sight and target all in a single optical plane so that the shooter need focus only on the target.

hyoder
02-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Try it - you'll love it!
Even more with the Merit adjustable rear aperature.

helice
02-18-2009, 01:05 AM
The Ursus,
I have to agree to all the above. My eyes are pushing 60 and the reading glasses set softly in my shirt pocket. The Tang sight is my preference but on my Winchester M 94 Big Bore 444 Marlin I mounted a Scout Scope. I agree with Cimarron Red that this is the best of all for old eyes. The XS mount made it simple to place a 2x Weaver handgun scope. Made me really appreciate the merits of the 444. Helice.

EDG
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I learned to shoot with two different 22 rifles---- one with and one without peep sights.
The peep sight is far superior even when you are 14. At 60 there no comparison, the open sight is nearly unusable. With an aperture front and back I can shoot close to one inch groups off a bench even though everything is fuzzy.

EDK
02-20-2009, 04:13 AM
I've been using a LYMAN #66 receiver sight and #17 front sight on my "go-to guns" for 30+years. I tried a LYMAN tang sight...fair...and a MARBLES...better because of windage adjustment, but I'll get another 66/17 set or take them off one of my 45/70s for the MARLIN 30/30 Cowboy rifle I just got.

BROWNELLS shows the MERIT adjustable disc for LYMAN receiver/tang sights. It's been on my "to-do" list for a long time, maybe it is time to get one.

Only problem I've ever had is that the step son borrowed the 45/70 for deer hunting and somehow broke the receiver sight. I called LYMAN, told them my sad story...they said send it in and sent me a new one.

The newer LYMANS are part aluminum...don't know how I'll like that. BUT the WILLIAMS is aluminum and has been around a long time. There's a guy named skinner on marlinowners.com who makes some nice sights also PLUS Brockmans, etc. Do some looking over at marlinowners...lots of info there and a lot of our members too.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

northmn
02-20-2009, 11:31 AM
I ahave been using the Williams 5D peep sights since before the older eyes needed them. Not as easily adjustable as the more expensive ones in that there are no knobs, but once sighted in they stay. A peep sight out in the woods is better than open sights because the eye naturally centers. I tried my 54 ML deer hunting this year and shot over a deer because it was harder to see the sight lowered into the notch. I find the peep about as good as a scope up close.

Northmn