PDA

View Full Version : slugging tools

par0thead151
02-17-2009, 02:12 PM
ok, so where is the best place to get 9mm barrel slugging kits?
i need to do it properley before investing in dies.
thanks

docone31
02-17-2009, 03:41 PM
You make a piece of lead slightly larger than the muzzle and ram it in. Once you have entered the barrel, the piece slides easily.
that is how you slug a barrel.

leftiye
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Never heard of such. Get a .360 soft lead boolit, lightly oil yer bore, drive the boolit through the bore (muzzle to breech is easiest), measure it. EOS. You can also start a boolit from either end, and back it out to see if the barrel is the same size at both ends, or to just get the diameters at one end. Some folks start them at one end and then sandwich them between two rods to bump them up for a fit, I seem to remember a guy making a chamber cast by driving lead into the closed chamber until it and some of the bore were filled.

scrapcan
02-17-2009, 03:59 PM
You can also use egg sinkers of an appropriate size. Then follow what was said above. lube the barrel and the slug it could save you a bit of frustration.

monadnock#5
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Here in NH with the ban on lead sinkers (the loons are still dieing off 10 years after the fact), I found I had to improvise. I bought sheet lead (soft) from the scrapper, and two round ball moulds, a .375 and a .460. With these tools, my needs have been filled for all my handgun calibers and a few rifle calibers. "Pure" lead doesn't age harden, so I cast up a bunch and put them in a plastic bowl, ready for the next project. I use a brass hammer to start the balls, and when the ball has been swaged down to caliber and the excess sheared off, I tap it the rest of the way through with a delrin rod and hammer. Don't use a wooden dowel, as the horror stories abound.

HangFireW8
02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
You make a piece of lead slightly larger than the muzzle and ram it in. Once you have entered the barrel, the piece slides easily.
that is how you slug a barrel.

No offense, but I would never, ever do it this way. Too easy to damage the crown, and the chamber has a built-in taper called the lead/leade/ballseat that makes the job easier, not harder.

-HF

oldtoolsniper
02-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Would drilling a hole in a scrap wood a little larger then the bore and casting a plug with that work?

mtgrs737
02-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Muzzeloader balls=good barrel slugging tools. Cast your own? why not?

Sky King
02-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Lead Bullet Technology (LBT) sells slugs to measure your bore
http://www.lbtmoulds.com/moulds.shtml

qajaq59
02-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Would drilling a hole in a scrap wood a little larger then the bore and casting a plug with that work?
Hmmmm, unless someone has a negative response to that, I think you just solved my problem.

Heavy lead
02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
refer to post 2,3 and or 4, use a hardwood dowel or brass rod (I use a brass rod), it ain't rocket science nor will you hurt your crown unless you are extrememly clumsy. You can buy slugging kits, but why, they are completely unessecary.