PDA

View Full Version : IMR 4064 now costs MORE than Varget?

Hanzy4200
01-19-2024, 05:32 PM
I did my usual check-in at PowderValley.com last night, just to browse and see if anything desirable was in stock. I was surprised to see Varget available, but floored to see that it was $41 cheaper per keg than 4064! Did I miss something? I grabbed two kegs of 4064 a few months ago, and they were priced higher than expected, but this one has me vexed.

Shawlerbrook
01-19-2024, 05:51 PM
Prices are crazy and there’s really no rhyme or reason, just up. I am just happy to find what I’m looking for at this point.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-19-2024, 06:07 PM
Hodgdon announced two weeks ago, price increase (12-35%) across the board on all powders, effective 1-15-2024.

Hanzy4200
01-19-2024, 06:46 PM
Hodgdon announced two weeks ago, price increase (12-35%) across the board on all powders, effective 1-15-2024.

I guess that means I should grab a few kegs of Varget before they're $430 also.

tobywan45
01-19-2024, 06:53 PM
The group that purchased Vista Outdoors announced that all of our reloading components would have a price increase in 2024
AND damned if it's not happening

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Hannibal
01-19-2024, 06:57 PM
I predict a 500% to 1000% increase in component costs in 20 years barring a DRAMATIC change in American society overall.

Between Government, News agencies and Institutions of Higher Education the population is getting brain washed.

charlie b
01-19-2024, 08:11 PM
Since the cost of importing all the powders and components is increasing, shipping costs are going up, labor costs are going up, why wouldn't final prices go up?

And if demand stays high then the financial groups that own most of this stuff will increase prices further (supply and demand almost always rules prices).

Remember that Vista Outdoors sold their ammunition and gun business to the Czechoslovak Group (CSG) last year. That includes a lot of reloading supplies, like Remington, CCI, Federal and Alliant.

Bird
01-19-2024, 08:24 PM
Most powders from my supplier are 39.00 to 45.00 per lb. Alliant Reloader 16 is 75.00 per lb. plus shipping etc. Unique is 55.00 per lb.
I have a good supply on hand, and will not pay these prices.

Hanzy4200
01-20-2024, 12:08 PM
Most powders from my supplier are 39.00 to 45.00 per lb. Alliant Reloader 16 is 75.00 per lb. plus shipping etc. Unique is 55.00 per lb.
I have a good supply on hand, and will not pay these prices.

Agreed. Thankfully I have a fair amount of Unique, but I've basically stopped using it unless for special applications. I'm looking more into powders like TAC. Really kicking myself for not jumping on a American Reloading deal I saw last year. H335 equivalent surplus powder for something like $25 lb for 32 lbs. Free shipping and Haz.

dverna
01-20-2024, 03:49 PM
Agreed. Thankfully I have a fair amount of Unique, but I've basically stopped using it unless for special applications. I'm looking more into powders like TAC. Really kicking myself for not jumping on a American Reloading deal I saw last year. H335 equivalent surplus powder for something like $25 lb for 32 lbs. Free shipping and Haz.

You are not the only one!!!

Bird
01-20-2024, 06:40 PM
It appears that Vihtavuori powders that were once considered expensive, are now the same price as most popular powders.

deces
01-20-2024, 06:52 PM

It's not like they are importing anything I could use anyways. I'll wait until the stupid smoke in ukraine settles.

jsizemore
01-21-2024, 05:36 PM
Vendor at the gun show this weekend showed me the price comparison between old stock and new. Like $100 on the 8lb jugs.

Gobeyond
01-26-2024, 01:37 PM
Alms for the poor. I don’t need any powder right now. Cut my shooting way down. Retired. It’s about 100 bucks to buy a pound on line. I can’t go on much longer. Bp available though. Primers too are way high. Is stopping an option? But keep getting in deeper to my pockets.

tinsnips
01-26-2024, 06:24 PM
It is time to bring out the 22 rifles.

atr
01-26-2024, 06:50 PM
all the IMR powders have gone up significantly in price
and yes I have been shooting a lot more .22 lately just to keep in practice.

charlie b
01-26-2024, 07:33 PM
I've been tempted to get a PCP air rifle. Although some of the longer range .22 stuff seems interesting too.

But, I can still get components cheaply enough for my budget so I can still go out to longer ranges.

I did dedicate one rifle to cast bullets a few years ago. Less powder and lead doesn't cost too much.

thompsonm1a1
01-26-2024, 08:36 PM
imr powder is very expensive up here in nova scotia canada. new inventory is running 100$ a lb and primers are rather expensive also.

charlie b
01-28-2024, 01:42 PM
Interesting that most IMR powder is sourced from Canada, then processed and distributed by Hodgdon. Can you get General Dynamics powders from dealers up there?

That brings up another thought. IMR is more expensive than Hodgdon brands? Hodgdon brands tend to come from Australia. Are tariffs or govt regulations different?

Shawlerbrook
01-28-2024, 01:56 PM
I hate be gouged, but what I hate more is not being able to get what I need at any price. Some call it hoarding but I call it being prepared.

TurnipEaterDown
01-28-2024, 02:34 PM
I hate be gouged, but what I hate more is not being able to get what I need at any price. Some call it hoarding but I call it being prepared.

It is truly funny (odd, not humorous) what happens with, and why the supply & demand curve has kinks it has.
Supply & demand w/ required goods looks a wee bit different than Desired goods -- to rip off a right bright advisor for Lady Thatcher: to place something on the realm of desirability is to move to a whole different level.

Securing for oneself what oneself will use, when opportunity presents, is not hoarding, it is intelligent buying.
To buy something that one will never use out of emotion or terror, or view toward future opportunity for gain, are elements of hoarding.

I recently bought items from a hoarder at a good rate -- I am a re-cycler. Otherwise, those items would be wasted.

Shawlerbrook
01-28-2024, 02:52 PM
I think shooters in states like here in NY, and CA, IL, MA,etc. have a different outlook on being prepared with a lifetime supply of what is needed to make all our guns go BANG ! And since I have no idea how long I will live or shoot, I might end up with a little leftover. :-D:coffeecom

W.R.Buchanan
01-28-2024, 02:58 PM
Since the cost of importing all the powders and components is increasing, shipping costs are going up, labor costs are going up, why wouldn't final prices go up?

And if demand stays high then the financial groups that own most of this stuff will increase prices further (supply and demand almost always rules prices).

Remember that Vista Outdoors sold their ammunition and gun business to the Czechoslovak Group (CSG) last year. That includes a lot of reloading supplies, like Remington, CCI, Federal and Alliant.

That sale was blocked by the State Dept. Something about not allowing a Foreign Entity to have control over our Munitions??? DUH?

The reason why prices are going up is because we are supplying Ammo to everyone and their Dogs overseas and the demand is growing everyday. AS soon as Trump ends the Wars demand will go back down and the Prices with it. Teh Powder companies will not expand production in times of shortages because when Demand goes back down they are left with a bunch of machinery that just sits and they don't like that.

Realistically If I was Pres (Don't wish for this cuz I'm not a nice liberal person???) I would make them Stock Pile at least 2 years of every kind of powder they make so the Domestic Market would be stable, and we'd have reserves if needed.

Properly Stored Powder has an Unlimited Shelf Life. I am about to load some .243 Win Cartridges with the "last half can of IMR 4350" I bought in 1971 when I started Reloading. I bought a new bottle last week and it smells the same as the old stuff because,,, I always took care to store it in a cool dry place. The seal under the cap was stuck to the mouth of the can and had to be peeled off so it was sealed tight.

Unfortunately most of my brass cases from back when haveLloose Primer Pockets so they are going in the recycle bucket, but that's OK cuz Norma is giving me the good guy price on 100 new .243 Win Cases.

It pays to go to the SHOT Show!

Randy

WRideout
01-28-2024, 03:05 PM
I once met a man on an airline flight who worked for the Department of Defense, on the logistical side. He told me that they couldn't get TNT from the US anymore, and that most of the TNT procured for the US military came from Poland. This was back in the 90's.

Wayne

charlie b
01-28-2024, 03:37 PM
I haven't seen the stop order. I did see a proposition from Colt CZ to buy the Vista gun line as a counter to the CSG.

If 'they' were concerned with overseas ownership then we would not have Beretta, SIG, HK and so on supplying the military. Does a US firm actually own any of the companies that make the guns? Factories were built in the US by FN, SIG, etc to avoid tariffs and such but they are still foreign companies.