canuck4570
02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/michelmongrain/DSCF0006.jpg
modified rib for the burris 2x7 ballistic plex scout scope

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/michelmongrain/DSCF0007.jpg
Ruger no 1 caliber 4570
barrel was free flotted
decelerator pad installed
rifle shoot from 1 to 11/2 with everything....
have the NEF peep sight for it as back up sight...

Larry Gibson
02-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Sweet!!!

Larry Gibson

Clyde
02-17-2009, 06:01 PM
I like it! What a great idea.

45&30-30
02-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Nice work and a great combo.

yondering
02-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Nice gun.

I do have to nitpick though: Putting a scout scope on it does not make it a "scout rifle". I'll point out 2 of the most important qualities of the scout rifle, which yours is missing:
-Light weight. A scout rifle should be very light and compact, and easy to pack around for days on end. That #1 is no lightweight! A good rule of thumb that ol' Cooper himself used to preach is that you should be able to hold your scout rifle out at arms length for a full minute without fatigue. Not just "can you do it", but "do it without getting tired".
-Repeating action. I'll probably get flamed for this, but a repeating action is part of the original scout rifle concept.

I'm not saying your rifle isn't handy or useful, or that you can't do great things with it, but it's not a "scout rifle", or even really a pseudo-scout. :coffee:

canuck4570
02-18-2009, 10:42 AM
then lets call it the never bruised eye rifle

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Yondering,

actually, you DO NOT have to nitpick. It is a choice you make to either compliment someone; or try and insult them. Jeff Cooper is dead so his definition is no longer THE definition.
Have a nice day...

Rich
Buff Killer

longhorn
02-18-2009, 09:44 PM
No insult--that's a darn nice rifle--but it isn't a Scout rifle. An interesting pseudo-Scout. Why would Cooper's death make his explicit and detailed definition open to revision?

rhead
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Did you have to make any alterations to the sight or the rifle to get the nef peepsight mounted? Was the height of the front sight correct or did it require changing?
Nice lokking gun!!!!

stillhunter
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I'll go with the Canuk. You've got to carry one of these Rugers. It just isn't heavy enuf. I found an antique Bushnell 3X Command Post to put on mine. Whatta beautiful woods rifle, and (free floated barrel) it shoots too!! By my standards the bolt action is hardly a repeating rifle. If you disagree, try a Marlin 1895 (also 45-70). The first shot is by far the most important, anyway.

Gerry N.
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM
No insult--that's a darn nice rifle--but it isn't a Scout rifle. An interesting pseudo-Scout. Why would Cooper's death make his explicit and detailed definition open to revision?

You could call it a "Scout Style Rifle". In the long ago Redfield, if memory serves, sold a forward mount that fastened to the sight dovetail on M94 Winchesters, it was made to accomodate the then new long eye relief pistol scopes which utilised a grooved clamping system similar to that used on .22 rifle recievers. That system might now be more rightly called a "Scout Rifle".

Gerry N.

canuck4570
02-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Did you have to make any alterations to the sight or the rifle to get the nef peepsight mounted? Was the height of the front sight correct or did it require changing?
Nice lokking gun!!!!
no alterations... the front sight was change to the highest made by NEF because of barrel time of slow bullet so with the highest sight the NEF peep sight could be sighted in with up and down to spare...
in short if you put NEF highest front sight and the peep your are OK.....
in having faster bullet or slower bullet and having up and down is perfect,,, for different velocity you will have to adjust the peep.... Michel

canuck4570
02-19-2009, 12:23 AM
I have seen here and there on world war 2 documentary
of Stalingrad battle german sniper having a Mauser rifle with a forward mounted scope the scope was very short.
wonder if any of you seen that?
seems that the principle of forward mounted scope is not knew...

yondering
02-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Did you modify the rear rib yourself? It looks pretty good.

I'm in the process of building up a custom #1 myself, but decided to go with some Talley rings that will be machined to fit the barrel (guy that's paying for it wants as much weight savings as possible). Even with a thin contour (338-06) barrel it's still in the 7 lb range without the scope. Those #1 actions are heavy, but man they are stout!

Any idea what your rifle weighs? My #1 22 Hornet is over 9 lbs with the scope on it.

canuck4570
02-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Did you modify the rear rib yourself? It looks pretty good.

I'm in the process of building up a custom #1 myself, but decided to go with some Talley rings that will be machined to fit the barrel (guy that's paying for it wants as much weight savings as possible). Even with a thin contour (338-06) barrel it's still in the 7 lb range without the scope. Those #1 actions are heavy, but man they are stout!

Any idea what your rifle weighs? My #1 22 Hornet is over 9 lbs with the scope on it.
My son is a machinist he did the work will take pic tomorrow of the rib with no scope so you will see...
My gun with sling weight 8 1/2 ponds
if I would make another one I would do has ruger did with theire scout rifle it come with a weaver ( picatinny stile ) rail that bolt on the existing rib the only difference I would make it about 1 1/2 lnches longer so I could put the scout scope and it would give me better joyce of rings
If you have a chance look at this rail I think it would be very easy to make the modifications on a gunsmith rail and attached it to the no 1

canuck4570
02-19-2009, 01:24 AM
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/michelmongrain/DSCF0009.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/michelmongrain/DSCF0010.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/michelmongrain/DSCF0011.jpg
the middle screw locks the 2 side one and there is a drift pin also but you don't see it.
when the scope was put on with center adjustment I had to corret about 1 minute to get centered on the bull at 100 yards, the big screw on the right screws in the barrel where the original of the rib screws in, I have to say my son did a very good jop.....

stillhunter
02-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Personally, I can't see any advantage in foreward mounting. The foreward mounted german WW2 snipers had very narrow fields of view, about half of what we would expect today. The mounting was a result of having to use the allready present rear sight base. Their bigger scopes, sporting class, were receiver mounted, wonder why? Barrel mounting a scope, a la B&L or Uniterl, is not as stable as receiver, and complicates the resonance/vibration pattern, which on an accurate gun has to be uniform from shot to shot. I can't see where the foreward scope is easier to manage in the field.

canuck4570
02-19-2009, 09:42 PM
when shot with both eyes open it is very fast
lets you see what going on around in order to put the cross hair on a jumping deer,
I am certain that you know that the forward mounted scope was not meant has a benchrest system...
Micke.

Larry Gibson
02-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Stillhunter

canuck4570 is correct. With modern long eye relief scopes of low power (1.5-3X) the field of view is just what it is with both eyes open. If the scope is mounted correctly you simply shoulder the rifle while still looking at the target and the crosshairs are just "there". A scout rifle that fits is about as fast as aiming is going to get. I have run several tests with them against open V sights, aperture (ghost ring) sights and conventionally mounted low powered scopes (1.5, 2.1-4.5X). The scout scoped rifle is always the fastest and the most accurate. The trick is to get the scout scope mounted correctly. Most milsurp commercial scout scope mounts are not correct because the scope is mounted way too high.

Larry Gibson

yondering
02-20-2009, 01:15 AM
What Larry said, again. The scout scope does seem inferior when shooting from a bench at paper, but in the field it's pretty hard to beat. Like Larry said though, this only works when the rifle is set up right; high mounted scopes or the wrong amount of eye relief ruin the whole concept. The rifle also needs to balance naturally, and be quick handling.

Properly mounted, I don't see any "resonance issues". I used the XS Sight Systems mount for a military mauser on mine (the barrel had to be turned down to fit the mount sleeve) and it is solid as a rock.

A side benefit, for me anyway, is that the rifle is easier to carry in the field, since the balance point when carrying it one handed is right at the action; there's no scope there to get in the way.

stillhunter
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Well I've learned somthing on this board.!! My limated experience with long eye releaf (pistol scopes) certainly wouldn't encourage me to attempt the "scout rifle" thing. I tend to be a "slow shot", much to the enjoyment of my hunting brothers, who get the jumpers. I do primarly "still hunt" and that game is to see them first which doesn't lead to jump shooting opportunities. I use 10x50 B&L binoculars (yes they are heavy, but great in low light), and Leupold glass, mostly on the classic "06. I think that the scout style must be different. I do have one redeeming quality, in that I am a willing driver..!!