PDA

View Full Version : Quickload thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

dromia
06-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Any Quickload users out there?

If so how do you fancy starting a Quickload thread?

If there is interest we could make it a sticky, discuss the finer points of the software as regards Cast Boolits.

For me its one of the best reloading purchases I've ever made.

Anyone got or upgraded to V 3.5 from V 3.4? Is the upgrade worth the ten squids?

BD
06-11-2009, 05:37 PM
I recently purchased Quickload. It's been useful, and I'm still learning. But I've had an issue.

Do any of you guys know if you can go back in and fine tune a load with real chrony data? I've found a couple of instances where it's pretty far off base. It really led me astray with heavy cast boolits in the .450 bushmaster. The model looked pretty good using the Hornady factory FTX's, and tracked the chrony data pretty well. Next, it was estimating about 10% higher velocities than I recorded for the Nosler 250 JHPS.

Thinking I had a handle on it I measured up my 300 grain boolits, adjusted the program and used the data to load a load work up. The starting load clocked 10% higher than what the model predicted for the max load. Whoops! I wound up pulling 50 rounds.

I can't get the model to even get close to predicting that velocity without adding 10,000 psi to the start pressure and dropping the case h2o capacity by 5 grains. So for now, Quickload is not real useful for the predicting Boolit loads in that cartridge. Any way of adjusting things to get closer to reality?
BD

scrapcan
06-11-2009, 05:44 PM
dromia,

It looks like it may be a good idea as you ahve one question already. I am not a user or owner but will read what comes up.

dromia
06-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I recently purchased Quickload. It's been useful, and I'm still learning. But I've had an issue.

Do any of you guys know if you can go back in and fine tune a load with real chrony data? I've found a couple of instances where it's pretty far off base. It really led me astray with heavy cast boolits in the .450 bushmaster. The model looked pretty good using the Hornady factory FTX's, and tracked the chrony data pretty well. Next, it was estimating about 10% higher velocities than I recorded for the Nosler 250 JHPS.

Thinking I had a handle on it I measured up my 300 grain boolits, adjusted the program and used the data to load a load work up. The starting load clocked 10% higher than what the model predicted for the max load. Whoops! I wound up pulling 50 rounds.

I can't get the model to even get close to predicting that velocity without adding 10,000 psi to the start pressure and dropping the case h2o capacity by 5 grains. So for now, Quickload is not real useful for the predicting Boolit loads in that cartridge. Any way of adjusting things to get closer to reality?
BD

Yep informing the programme with real life values is the key methinks to the programmes potenial. So long as you've got the boolit data, case capacity and cross ectional bore area right then for small variations you can correct with shot start pressure and the weighting factor can adjust to make accurate predictions on known velocity.

I'm currently working with reduced loads, less than 5 gns fast powder with a 120 gn boolit in .303 British. QL currently predicts 100-200 fps over actual, on a 800-900 fps round this is a lot.

I think the low loading density is affecting the powder burn rate/efficiency so I need to do some fiddling with the powder speccy BA rate etc.

Any advice would be welcome, going to set a a good day aside to reread and mine the handbook on this.

Complicated I know but I love it.

badgeredd
06-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I've been wondering about Quickload so if you do get a thread going, I'll be reading to decide if I want it for myself. BTW are there any other similar programs available?

Edd

dromia
06-11-2009, 06:51 PM
When I looked at programmes a couple of years ago there was nothing else in the QL league.

There are some free, good basic ballistic software out there.

There is a reasonable QL critique here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/Quickload.html

wiljen
06-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Got it, Use it, Love it - welcome a discussion thread on it.

zxcvbob
06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm using v3.3. I love it. I wish it had data for IMR pistol/shotgun powders and WSF. OTOH, I have too many different powders already without being tempted to buy a bunch of one-pounders of IMR's.

For WSF powder, I use Herco data and keep it fairly conservative.

Nelsdou44
06-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Great idea for a thread. I've been wondering why QL doesn't post a page for known bugs or modeling errors.

For example, the 9.3x57 is listed having a weight factor of 0.5, but it probably more like a 0.7, being that it doesn't have much of a bottle neck.

When I can't find a cast bullet in the listing, I pick a jacketed RN of the same weight and plug in a starting pressure of 1160 psi. Is that reasonable?

Nels

zxcvbob
06-11-2009, 11:43 PM
When I can't find a cast bullet in the listing, I pick a jacketed RN of the same weight and plug in a starting pressure of 1160 psi. Is that reasonable?

I do the same thing. Seems to work.

dromia
06-12-2009, 02:43 AM
OK stickied, lets se how it goes.

BD
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
A couple of questions:

How do you judge the meniscus to get the case capacity in H2O? I can vary that on a big straight wall case by 2 grains easy. I tried filling a case until it overflowed, but i get a different meniscus every time. is there some standard?

Any good ideas on getting an accurate bore cross sectional area?

Thanks,
BD

mike in co
06-15-2009, 03:37 PM
i add cases and volume by my own sorted lots.
i take real world data and adjust things till they produce my known data.
powder can be overridden.
i add my cast boolits with data from similar jacketed.

most of my cast are h2o dropped ww...so i use 2450 as a start pressure( typically on the lands)

my issue with ql is its constant failure to move my added data when doing updates.

i have been using it for years.

mike in co

zxcvbob
06-15-2009, 03:59 PM
How do you judge the meniscus to get the case capacity in H2O? I can vary that on a big straight wall case by 2 grains easy. I tried filling a case until it overflowed, but i get a different meniscus every time. is there some standard?

Have you tried using soapy water? Reduce the surface tension.

Nelsdou44
06-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Has anyone tried modeling SR 4759 powder in QL? Or is there a powder in the QL database one can approximate the performance of 4759?

Nels

redneckdan
06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Can somebody with quickload run some numbers for me?

.22 hornet or k-hornet

80gr boat tail- matchking, a-max, VLD....or whatever is availible

Target velocity- 1050fps & then also the theoretical max velocity without exceeding saami specs.

Not to picky about powers, just wondering how possible this is.

thanks

Dan

Cap'n Morgan
06-29-2009, 05:31 PM
For a K-Hornet 2 grains of Unique behind a Match King should get you there. As for the max velocity it very much depends of the OAL of the round. 1700 fps in a 20" barrel should be within reach - Quickload estimates 1715 fps at 42000 psi using 5.6 grain Blue Dot and a OAL of 1.8" But remember! This is an ESTIMATED pressure!

303Guy
10-13-2009, 04:08 AM
Does Quick Load take into account differences in neck tension?

Ranch Dog
11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I finally broke down and bought it today. I've been thinking about it for quite a while as I would like to compare it's performance against my Pressure Trace equipment.

dromia
11-03-2009, 08:51 AM
I finally broke down and bought it today. I've been thinking about it for quite a while as I would like to compare it's performance against my Pressure Trace equipment.

I'd be interested in your conclusions Michael.

helg
12-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Does Quick Load take into account differences in neck tension? Long time, but still unanswered. QL has a parameter: "Shot Start (Initiation) Pressure (PSI)". Manual contains recommended values for the parameter in various conditions. You can always measure exact force that bullet is crimped using, e.g. floor scale and a press, and divide it by bullet cross-section area to obtain matching value for the pressure, which you can put into the program.

stiles
12-15-2009, 12:58 AM
YSo long as you've got the boolit data, case capacity and cross sectional bore area right then...

How are you measuring bore cross sectional area? I know 3 different ways to measure case capacity but haven't been hit by the clue bat when it comes to the bore cross sectional area! I'd appreciate any clues for sure!

stiles
12-17-2009, 12:55 AM
I found the bore cross sectional calculator today. The icon with the calipers measuring the case opens up the case information table and next to the cross-sectional bore entry is a button to open up the bore calculator. There is a case calculator just below it too.

mike in co
12-17-2009, 04:36 PM
my version of ql(3.2) has the max press for the 10 mm auto at 327575 psi.....that woul dbe about 10 times the real presure....
cip is correct,

mike in co

Clark
12-21-2009, 07:55 PM
I have Quickload V.3.4 and the 270 Ackley Mag has a maximum case capacity overflow of 74 gr H20.

That compares to the QL listing of 270 Win at 67 gr H20
That compares to the QL listing of 264 Win Mag at 82 gr H20
That compares to the QL listing of 7mmRemMag at 82 gr H20
That compares to the QL listing of 270 Weath. Mag at 82 gr H20
That compares to the QL listing of 280 Ack Imp at 74 gr H20

------------------------------------------
Meanwhile Donnelly's 'The Handloader's Guide to Cartridge Conversions" 1987 shows:
270 Ackley Magnum 74.04 gr H20
270 Winchester 67.39 gr H20
270 Winchester Improved (Ackley) 67.98 gr H20

---------------------------------------------
Ackley "Handbook for shooters and relaoders Vol 1" 1962

270 Ackley Magnum is pictured as a belted magnum

------------------------------------------------
What does it all mean?
I think Quickload got the 270 Ackley Improved mixed up with teh 270 Ackley Magnum, because Donnelly did.

Gelandangan
12-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Does Quickload have any data for IMR Trailboss?

Data for this powder is very scarce,
but due to the fact that it burn very cleanly and can be used in multiple cast boolit calibers
this may be very good for the cast boolit community.

rickster
12-22-2009, 01:27 AM
The burn characteristics of Trail Boss vary a lot depending on the percent case fill. So it is nearly impossible to come up with good values that can be used with QL. The best thing to do is run a series of velocity tests with increasing powder charge and then graph the results. This needs to be done for each ctg and bullet. What you will find is that the velocity will usually peak between 85% and 100% fill (in a straight walled case). Adding more powder after that point will reduce the velocity (the curve will roll over).

Gelandangan
12-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Hi rickster
Thanks for the quick reply.

the problem I have is that most suggested loads from IMR / ADI-Thales websites are way low velocity loads.
I am afraid to fill the case up even up to 85% without some concrete pressure calculation behind it.
I read in this here forum that TB can be filled up to 100% load as long as it is not compressed.
Yeah.. and I will be placing my nose and limbs near the combustion chamber and I am very fond of my body parts.

Did the new Quickload have TB powder listed on it? anybody got it? can you check?
I am reluctant to buy just to find out.

dromia
12-23-2009, 03:53 AM
I've got V 3.4 with the 3.5 update and it doesn't show Trailboss.

Gelandangan
12-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks dromia,

So I won't be buying quickload as yet..
Oh well.. there is always the range and time to shoot and try the loads :P

stiles
01-13-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't think your going to ever see Trail Boss in Quickload because how it reacts when it approaches 100% loading density. Here (http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2953577/page/1) is what the man said about this.

Whistler
01-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Does anyone know if the Lee boolit C429-240-SWC data can be downloaded somewhere? Perhaps someone could send me the .bul file?

If there is no data for that bullet, what can safely be used as a substitute when simulating?

I'm using QuickLoad 3.2.

mike in co
01-21-2010, 08:38 AM
why not use the lyman 245 swc..and adjust it for your actual boolit(as in add it to the data base)

mike in co

Marlin Hunter
03-20-2010, 10:06 PM
I just got version 3.6. It does not have Trial Boss, 700x, 800x, American Select, and a few older powders.

I looked up some loads for 308 Win and 223 Rem and was puzzled how the data and chart only showed between 1,000 and 1,200 fps. I thought the program had a bug, but then I finally figured out that I had put a barrel length of 4 inches for a revolver on some previous loads. When I changed the barrel length to 20 inches, I got close to the published fps for each round.

I have heard about someone (on the internet) who mistakenly used Accurate #7 powder with data for Allient #7 powder. There is a big pressure difference with these 2 powders. I think it is kinda dumb for one company to name a powder close to the same as another company and not be compatible. For the 444 Marlin, the pressure for 45 gr of Alliant #7 is ~41,000psi, and 120,000psi for 45 gr of Accurate #7. That's almost 3 times the pressure.
Can you say KABOOOOOM!!!

Dark Helmet
04-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Is IMR 8208 in the V 3.6?

j23
07-20-2010, 08:29 AM
I have a QuickLOAD request... Does anyone's program here have the 50-95 Winchester CenterFire/50-95 Express available? If so,I am despirately in need of some load data.. can anyone help? I have the necessary parameters ready when someone is ready to help. What else do I need besides caliber, bullet weight, powder type, primer type, desired velocity range, and pressure ceiling?

Chapparal 1876 rifle, I have heard that the max pressure should be kept between 22-25k. 26" barrel.
50-95 Express (WCF)
515139 Lyman Cast (WW, BHN ~10)
~345 grains.
Id like a smokeless load which keeps velocities between 1300-1500 fps... while not exceeding the max pressures.
I have heard that suitable powders for this caliber/gun combo are...
Accurate 2015, IMR3031, Unique, 2400, IMR4759.

Anyone wanna give me a hand? Thanks!

BCB
07-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Thinkin' about getting QL myself, but from reading all of the posts, it appears there are many variables that are variable!...

It seems that the ol’ Powley Computer will give loads when IMR powders are being used. I have used it for years, mostly many years (late 60's/early 70's) ago and it worked very well. I used it to develop loads for the 7-30 Waters LONG BEFORE any published data was available. Whether one wishes to substitute powders of similar burn rates is up to the individual. I won’t mention my thoughts on that…

If a person wishes to load a cartridge at a given psi, will it calculate what charge of a given powder will achieve that number?

What version of QL is presently available? And can someone do a “copy and paste” and show all of the powders that are in the QL data base?...

Still pondering the thought of purchasing QL. It appears it might be great, but may have many open ends. The tough questions are what I want it to do. Otherwise, the 30+ reloading books I have, plus the Internet provide all of the info I might need—I think…

Thanks…BCB

mike in co
07-25-2010, 12:14 PM
my version has 200 powders....international in listing.( AND I'M SURE I DO NOT HAVE THE CURRENT VER)
yes you can apporach a pressure, you can set the pressure and search for all powders that will do that pressure.
you can adjust powder charactersitics to match your lot in your gun.
simple things like add cases with your volume.......
well woRth the bucks

mike in co

mike in co
07-25-2010, 12:16 PM
what i do not like about ql is that when an update comes out it does not move any data you added...you have to manually readd it all....

anyone different ????

mik ein co

Dark Helmet
08-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Can someone PM me the powder file for 800X, it isn't in V3.6. :-(

BCB
12-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Since I last posted a few months ago, I have acquired 5 pounds of Trail Boss—I love it!!!

I use the 70% formula and that is the starting charge so I start at or a bit below that and increase by small increments until I reach the base of the seated boolit—not one problem yet with straight wall or bottle neck cases…

Yet, the published data doesn’t even come close the charges calculated by the 70% rule…

A person on another site adamantly says the 70% rule is not safe. He indicates that QL predicts very high pressures. But, if Trail Boss is not on QL how can this be said?...

It seems that Trail Boss will not be on QL? Or has someone figured out how to “substitute” a different powder?...

Thanks…BCB

Doc Highwall
12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I was told that Trail Boss is in the latest version of Quick-Load.

rsrocket1
01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Do a Google Search for:"quickload trail boss"
There is a forum site (should be the first one that shows up). Look in the "reloading software" section and look for the thread "QL and the 'new' powders"

The Trail Boss data is given by H Broemel who I believe is the owner of Quick Load.

You can copy and paste that line into the powder file using notepad and add spaces to get the format right.

He also says in another thread that the 70% rule is good to use, but if you fill the case to 100% the pressures vary widely and while still safe, will lead to inconsistent velocities.

hicard
02-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Mine has no reference to SR 4759 or ETR7. I use Green Dot for ETR7 and it seems to work ok. Any recommended substututes?

Sensai
02-09-2011, 04:24 PM
I appreciate this thread, as a way to share information about QuickLoad. Thanks Dromia for starting it, and thanks moderators/admin for allowing it to continue.

I'm a QL user, and really like the program. I also use a few other programs for exterior ballistics, and some others for keeping track of my loads and inventories.

Seeing the traffic on this thread, do you think that we could have a forum for "Reloading Software"? That way we could have threads for different software. I think that such a forum would be well supported. The only down side that I can see is that it would have to be monitored for copyright problems. I think that we're all old enough to know that software and eye patches don't make a good combination!

Doc Highwall
02-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I had to get a new QuickLoad disc as my new computer is 64bit vs 32bit and the new disc does have TrailBoss included.

Chicken Thief
05-25-2011, 06:15 AM
I have an old version 2.9 and like it a lot. It wont do shot shells, can the newer versions that?

josper
06-02-2011, 08:20 PM
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar52.htm This is a good articel about quickloads.

josper
07-25-2011, 06:40 PM
could you guys check this out to see if i am doing something wrong.I set up a load for my 45-70- marlin. Rcbs 45-405-fn. 48gr Reloader 7. Quick loads is saying this is generating 58266 chamber pressure. A smilar load in handloader mag Aug 2007 #248 list a load of 52gr Rel 7 and the same bullet as being under 43500 cup.Quickloads says its 77266 . whats going on???

Cap'n Morgan
07-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Something's very wrong here. I checked your data, and also ran your load with a slightly slower powder (N200) and the numbers are still way up in the red. Either the Handloader mag has a serious error or you misread the data, and it should be Reloader 17 instead of Reloader 7.
Using Reloader 17 the numbers look a lot more normal; 30.000 psi for a 52 grains load.

josper
07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
In load books RCBS 45-405FN bullet it list 46-48gr Rx7 This is under loads for the Marlin 1895. I double checked Handloader Mag. and it is RL-7 52gr. The name of the book I am using is "The complete reloading manual for the 45-70 Government." I'm beginning to think this is a glitch in "quickloads" for Rx7.

Cap'n Morgan
07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm beginning to think this is a glitch in "quickloads" for Rx7.

It could very well be. I tried running the numbers for Vihtavuori N130 to compare with their manual. The manual listed 49.7gr as a max load for a 400gr Speer bullet, and I had to reduce the Quickload load to 46.7gr to match the speed, even though the Vihtavuori manual is using Remington cases which has less capacity than the QL standard case.

(Safety warning about 45-70 case capacity):
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,80939.0.html

Well, at least QL errs to the "good" side. Better safe than sorry. Also bear in mind that seating depth has a dramatic influence on pressure with a relative fast powder, like Reloader7. Seating the bullet just 0.15 deeper will raise the pressure 25%!

nanuk
08-01-2011, 04:17 AM
. Also bear in mind that seating depth has a dramatic influence on pressure with a relative fast powder, like Reloader7. Seating the bullet just 0.15 deeper will raise the pressure 25%!

i have always wondered about this

if a boolit has room to move forward before encountering resistance in the rifling, why would a minor adjustment make such a large difference.

I can see the exponential effect of seating down onto the powder such as a round ball and 2gr bulleye in a 38sp case...

but if the case if full, and you compress it by force, that does not seem to generate a warning of extreme pressure increases.

are there some powders that are very prone to this phenomena? are all relatively "Fast" for cartridge powders alike in this area?

TonyM
09-17-2011, 03:00 AM
I'm going to try H110 with some 45-325-rnfp-gc (.452). the mould (I think) is 452651, but not sure (thats the number on the invoice)....

I am loading this for a Taurus Raging bull 5.5". I'm using CCI 450s primers...

In both of my reloading books, I can't find anything exactly for this... there are some that are close weight wise... but nothing for cast....

Can I get a good starting point/MAX?

If there is any more info needed please let me know and I'll update...

Thanks again....

edit: I'm going to purchase this software monday.... is there a link with some good info regarding it someone can recommend? Or should I just go with the instructions that come with it.... [smilie=f:

gcollins
09-17-2011, 11:25 AM
When you buy QL, does it come to you on a cd ? If it does, when the new version come out, do you download the up dates, and if you do, does that update bring your QL version up to the new one? From reading all the threads in this post, I have seen that QL comes out with a new version every once in a while?
Thanks
G

TonyM
09-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Has anyone used this before? Like dislike? It's a bit cheaper than quickload, and says it does more... im going to try the eval and see how I like it...

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ballistics.htm

dromia
09-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Seems to be apples and oranges as it is predominantly an external ballistics programme.

wiljen
09-18-2011, 08:22 AM
RSI is a very different animal. The internal ballistics portion is done using a chrono and a strain gauge so it is built around results rather than predictive analysis like QL. Certainly nothing wrong with that approach and a very useful tool set, but at $730 for the complete setup sans laptop in order to run that module, it isnt cheaper than QL, and it won't do "What if?" scenarios without shooting them to find out.

TonyM
09-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Seems to be apples and oranges as it is predominantly an external ballistics programme.

RSI is a very different animal. The internal ballistics portion is done using a chrono and a strain gauge so it is built around results rather than predictive analysis like QL. Certainly nothing wrong with that approach and a very useful tool set, but at $730 for the complete setup sans laptop in order to run that module, it isnt cheaper than QL, and it won't do "What if?" scenarios without shooting them to find out.

After some more reading, and using that demo... it is definitely NOT an internal ballistic "Prediction" program... in fact it says so at the beginning of install.... it says they are "Un-safe" :violin:

Anyway, back to the plan of buying the QL software.... :coffee:

40Super
12-27-2011, 06:28 PM
I've found that many powders are close to actual results but when you get into higher charges and compressed loads it starts to vary and not be as accurate.

frnkeore
07-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Mine has no reference to SR 4759. Any substututes?

I would also like any info regarding 4759.

Frank

Randy C
12-07-2012, 10:13 PM
I love my Quickload I bought it in 2007 I think, I have it on my windows 7 pro now, Im runing the old version.

Kevin Rohrer
12-23-2012, 11:38 AM
I just got Quickload and have been comparing what it says are safe loads compared to published sources. QL's estimates of chamber pressures seem to be excessive. Has anyone noticed this?

DCM
12-25-2012, 06:51 PM
I just got Quickload and have been comparing what it says are safe loads compared to published sources. QL's estimates of chamber pressures seem to be excessive. Has anyone noticed this?

They are way over for the 10mm.
For the others you can check them against SAAMI specs here. http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm?page=ANSI

I have found them to be quite accurate for the rifle ammo I have tried.

lmcollins
12-30-2012, 02:33 AM
I do not have Quickload, but I do think that I read in Precision Shooting that the programs author or marketer states that it does not work for straight walled cases without useing some fudge factor.

Someone call NECO who has the program and is a licensed user call and get the straight POOP. We will never solve the problem in gossip.

69daytona
01-05-2013, 12:08 PM
I just ordered the newest version. they said it will be here on Wed. I posted in the forum then looked up and found this sticky. Looks like what I want it for the most (big straight wall pistol cartridges) is the biggest problem they have with this program. They are only an hour away from where I live so I guess I will be calling them to get it all figured out.

Willbird
01-08-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm kind of interested in it for a muzzle loader project. But there is no "case"...but there is a straight walled powder chamber. I have heard of a few folks using it to get some idea what a given powder will do. For some general ideas you can look at swinglock's webpage to see what his rifles do.

millsa2
03-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Good info on the program. I might try it.

Cane_man
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
love QL for rifle, as their is a method called the "OBT" (optimum barrel time), Bing is your friend here to learn about it, and it with this method that uses QL to help you dial in loads with whatever bullet your are using... so QL for rifle is fairly accurate and a great tool... have used 4 different rifles to dial in submoa loads with the OBT method, witout having to try 10 billions powders to get it

QL for pistol is NOT to be trusted, imo... i have found QL pistol loads to be all over the map, sometimes it makes sense other times is seems like total nonsense... however, with that being said, QL for pistol is an excellent tool at helping you to find optimal powders for your caliber and bullet...

gcollins
04-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Howdy Guys,
I got a hold of the QL company a year ago or so, i just have some very simple questions, and I never got a strait answer[smilie=b: What I would like to know is: When you buy QL I asume it comes to you in a cd or dvd format.When you get it, do you load everything that is on the disk in to your computer or do you only save what I call the Program format, that part of the program ask you to enter the data you have or what it needs and then you insert the disk again so the Program format enters your data into the program, and then it does what you have ask it ? I am not a computer guy, and I don't know the terms that are used and that makes it hard to explain.
I have one of the small laptop computers that doesn't have a disk drive, the only way to get data in it, is to down load or have the program on a thumb drive, I have real slow internet so download would be out!! But, depending on several factors maybe I could use this laptop and since both are using Windows 7, maybe I could copy the program off of the disk on to a thumb drive?Can you have Q.L. on more than 1 computer?
I have been trying to find this info for 2 years with NO LUCK. I have AT&T cell, and if someone thinks they have the answers and have the time to call me, just pm me and I can give you my number or get yours??
Sorry for the long post!
I would be so great full to know the answers?
Greg

Cane_man
04-05-2013, 01:19 PM
QL comes on a cd disc and you install it from there to your computer... i am sure there is a way to transfer what is on the CD to a flashdrive, but i dont know how to do that

freebullet
04-05-2013, 01:46 PM
any quickload users want to help me out with a .380? I'm trying to come up with a load for .380acp for a p238. I must load these short for reliable feeding.Col is going to be 0.920" , using ww boolits dropped from a lee 102gr mold sized at .356 and tumble lubed. The only powder I have to do this is hs-6, which has worked great in 9-45-38-357 for me. I found load data on 115 jaktd loaded @.980 with 4-4.5gr of hs-6. Having to load them short and with a lighter lead boolit there were just to many variables to take a shot in the dark on it with such a tiny case. I'm thinking 3.3 gr start and maybe 3.7 gr max, but just don't have all the data I'd like before trying it out. Thanks for your help.

rasto
04-06-2013, 01:37 AM
gcollins there is a way how to do it. I am talking about putting the CD content to a USB stick and pretend virtual CD drive.

altheating
04-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Does the Quickload software allow you to enter custom boolits into a database? Is there a better ballistics software than Quickload?

Kull
04-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Yes you can enter custom bullets. You can change or add data for everything really, all config files are plain text.

There's no real other game in town for internal ballistics. External ballistics yes, there are plenty of better and more simple calculators imho.

DougGuy
05-09-2013, 12:44 AM
If you were going to convert an existing cartridge by shortening the case, for instance shorten .45 Colt from 1.285" to 1.160" would it be able to come up with load data? Is there a way that you can change the case capacity in the program for that shorter case?

Kull, those sure are some nice lookin' boolits in your avatar, could you elaborate a bit on those? Caliber/size/weight?

Frozone
05-09-2013, 12:57 AM
Yes, you enter case capacity in CCs of water. You can even set different loads for different Brass of the same caliber that way.

Kull
05-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Kull, those sure are some nice lookin' boolits in your avatar, could you elaborate a bit on those? Caliber/size/weight?

It's not my pic. When I first started researching casting I came across a post in another forum that had that pic and I thought the same thing as you. So I had to steal it and use it for an avatar.

It was cast by a member here, GLL, and here's a larger pic.
http://i.imgur.com/qMtPWMB.jpg

DougGuy
05-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Yes, you enter case capacity in CCs of water. You can even set different loads for different Brass of the same caliber that way.

Nice.. I'm intent on doing a shortened .45 Colt for use in a New Vaquero .45 ACP that will get rechambered for the custom length brass. I am going to take the .45 Colt case from 1.285" to 1.160" which is the same as .44 Special case length, and I'd like to develop loads using the .45 ACP +P pressure ceiling of 23,000psi, which is what the medium frame Ruger is rated for.

The objective would be to use 255gr to 300gr boolits that are normally used in .45 Colt where it does not depend on the case mouth to headspace, they can then be roll crimped or collet crimped. This would lower the case capacity and raise powder density so that there is more consistent ignition and less standard deviation and none of the hazards associated with downloading the .45 Colt case to mid level velocities and pressures. It will be called the .45 Ruger Special.

Most of the loads for this conversion would generate higher pressures than the SAAMI spec of 14,000psi for standard .45 Colt, so they would likely not be safe in a Colt SAA or S&W or any of the Cowboy SAA clones. Since there is no +P spec for .45 Colt, there is basically a void when it comes to loads that fall between the 14,000psi standard SAAMI spec, and the low end of the Ruger Only load data. This conversion would fill that void with a pleasant shooting pistol that still packs enough punch to hunt deer and bear in the mid-atlantic regions.

Yes I could just load .45 ACP +P but that's limited to headspacing off the case mouth, can't use a roll crimp or collet crimp and many of the traditional boolits wouldn't work too well, in addition pressures for the .45 ACP +P are already near the limit. Yes I could use Schofield brass, but it's 1.100" and .060" shorter than what I'd like. I think the 1.160" case length will be a sweet spot for the heavier boolit.

Shouldn't be a difficult conversion, doesn't involve modifying the gun at all, just have a custom reamer made to rechamber the .45 ACP cylinder, and cut down some brass. I'd like to do this on a Talo New Vaquero .45 ACP, 3 7/8" barrel, should make a fun little project gun.

If anybody gets an urge to do any figuring, and wants to use QL and see what might be some good starting points, go right ahead.

Case length: 1.160"

Boolits: 255gr to 280gr Keith type LSWC .452" - 300gr WFN GC .452" from the Lee C 452-300 mold. I don't need a GC, but I've already got some of them so I'd like to use them.

Hoped for velocity range: 900 - 1100f/s

Kull
05-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Just to throw it out there, in case your thinking about buying Quickload....it's not going to be very accurate in the estimated velocity department with revolvers because of the cylinder gap. Also in general it's better with bottleneck cartridges that with straight walled.

Jim
06-19-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm considering buying Quikload (sp?) and have some questions for those of you that own it.

The most important question first: Is it designed to be used toward cast boolits as well as jacketed?

Can the program be loaded into the computer and then the disk be removed or is it set up such that the disk must be in to run it?

As for a source, who's got the best price on it right now?

What I know about this program wouldn't fill a thimble. If there are questions I should be asking and have not, keep in mind my ignorance. I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks, fellas.

RobsTV
06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Yes, works equally well with cast or jacketed.
Fairly easy to create your own custom cast rounds.

Yes, once loaded, disc is no longer required for use.

Only downside I find are many missing powders, such as WSF. And the price. Way too expensive.

Tom Myers
06-19-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm considering buying Quikload (sp?) and have some questions for those of you that own it.

The most important question first: Is it designed to be used toward cast boolits as well as jacketed?

Can the program be loaded into the computer and then the disk be removed or is it set up such that the disk must be in to run it?

What I know about this program wouldn't fill a thimble. If there are questions I should be asking and have not, keep in mind my ignorance. I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks, fellas.

Jim, I have been using QuickLoad for a couple of years and in my opinion, after one goes to the trouble of really reading and understanding the help manual, it is an invaluable tool for cast bullet load development.

Yes, the program contains cast bullet data and details the cast bullet parameters to be used.

Yes, the program is installed on the computer and is then run independently of the disk. The disk can be used to reinstall in case of CCF (Catastrophic Computer Failure).

Not much help here. I only know of one source here in the states. Necco (http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm)
I think I remember of a source in England but not sure.

In my opinion, anyone who is interested enough to begin asking about QuickLoad will have the motivation to make the effort to study and understand full potential of the software. So my advice would be to go ahead and purchase the software then take the time to read through the help manual that is installed with the software. Then you can start asking questions about the nomenclature and procedures that are not clear.

Any questions that you then have can be posted in the QuickLoad thread in the QuickLoad Sticky here in the Reloading Equipment Forum section.

I was so impressed with QuickLoad that I wrote a software module that steps through my Precision Reloading Records (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_BR/PrecRec/Prec_Rec-Bas.htm)software and writes personal QuickLoad data files using the paramaters of my personal firearms, bullet data, cartridge data and powder data to write data files that QuickLoad automatically loads and uses.

gmsharps
06-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Some people like it and some don't. I for one like it. It has saved me way more that it's cost in saved time and components. I do not trust any one source for loading anything. Always check a second source. It does both internal and external ballistics. You can vary the entries to try different loads with out having to shoot it in a firearm to check pressure nad the like. A lot of stuff you can do just depends on how far you want to go. NECO is the only source I'm aware of and you can get updates as they add new powders and bullets. I like it and when back in the US I use it a lot.

gmsharps

RBurke44
06-19-2013, 11:50 AM
I love quick load. I have been reloding since 1960 and its one of the best things I have bought for my hobbie. One down side is there are several powders not included because variability in their manufacturing process. I was determined to solve this so I set out
to get the data and include it in the program when I run it. Using advice from the guy who sells it. My quick load now runs powders like 4759, 4756, 7625, 20/28 and many others. I have used the new data without any problem. I have also created +P versions for the 45 colt, 45 auto rim and the 45 super. It is actually a very interesting piece of software.

Tom Myers
06-19-2013, 12:16 PM
....... My quick load now runs powders like 4759, 4756, 7625, 20/28 and many others. I have used the new data without any problem.

I am sure you expended a lot of effort and time acquiring the data for the additional powders.
I think I can safely say that I am one of many who would sincerely appreciate being able to incorporate that into our QuickLoad database. Am I being presumptuous in asking if you would be so inclined to share the details of that data?
If not, could you perhaps give and indication as to how to go about locating the data.

RBurke44
06-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi Tom:

Send me a PM, I am concerned about the legals but I do have lots of info.

DCM
07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
BIG +1 on Tom Meyers and Gmsharps replies.

It has saved me big $ on supplies to achieve desired results!

Most predictions are scary close when you learn to use it.
If you plug in all the proper data and get a very good idea what the end result will be without wasting precious powder, primers etc., very little "I think this should work", If it says shot initiation pressure is too low that means the boolit will be stuck in the barrel :oops: :groner: [smilie=1:

If you want a low flash coon huntin load develop it in QL so you have 100 % powder burn well before the end of the barrel, expanding gasses will still give some flash but not like powder still burning after the muzzle will.

JustSomeGuy
07-18-2013, 07:44 AM
I recently bought the QuickLoad program and, with an editor, I was looking over some of the bullet files. My problem is that most of the bullets I shoot are not listed. Mainly, I am a pistol shooter and for .40 S&W I shoot mainly Montana Gold 180grn JHP, Zero 180grn JHP, and S&S Cast 180 LFP bullets. I see with the editor bullets from Lee and Lyman molds, but they are 170grn and 175grn and of different length than the S&S cast bullet. Sooo... I want to edit or create a file for the S&S Cast bullet but I don't know what the numbers mean that are attached to the Lee or Lyman types represented. Of course I understand what the weight and bullet length numbers are, but not the others. Does anyone here know what those represent, or do any of you have data for the S&S 180grn LFN bullet, or for that matter the Montana Gold or Zero 180 JHP?

I ask this because if you run sims with different bullet types, especially jacketed ones, you get wildly different pressure numbers, and frankly, I like my fingers where they are!

gcollins
07-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi All[smilie=s:,
You all have answered my question and more, I thank you!
Please correct me if I am wrong, here is what I have come up with!
Okay: you open up the program, find caliber, then locate your bullet and look for your powder, I assume at some time you enter your barrel length, type of action, do you put your load data in, and if so it will plot out your ballistics and it's recommends loads for you, and gives the ballistics for it's loads?? I forgot to mention that I think it gives chamber pressure's based on your info and it's data?
Am I way off base?
Greg

Tom Myers
07-18-2013, 09:27 AM
I want to edit or create a file for the S&S Cast bullet but I don't know what the numbers mean that are attached to the Lee or Lyman types represented. Of course I understand what the weight and bullet length numbers are, but not the others. Does anyone here know what those represent, or do any of you have data for the S&S 180grn LFN bullet, or for that matter the Montana Gold or Zero 180 JHP?

The QuickLoad software is truly an amazing piece of software but it's full potential is only realized through a complete understanding of just how to adjust and manipulate the data that is entered. The QuickLoad User's Guide needs to be studied in order to gain the needed skills.

The QuickLOAD menu option titled Data: Add, Change, Load, Save provides methods to either write new data files or add/edit the existing component data files.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/QuickLoad/QLoadBulDataAll.png

For those that are using both the Precision Load Records (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_BR/PrecRec/Prec_Rec-Bas.htm) software and the QuickLoad program, I am working on an update to the Load Records module that will step through the Firearm, Cartridge, Bullet and Powder databases and write personal QuickLOAD datafiles that contain all the components and combinations in the user's recorded loads and firearm records. It saves a lot of time while preventing typo errors in that data and seems to work quite well.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/QuickLoad/QLData-image.png

leadmonkey
01-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Okay, I've read lots of discussion about Quickload here and elsewhere, and I'm interested enough to consider it. But I have one nagging doubt.

It appears that if a specific bullet is not listed in the bullet database, you can add it. You have to input all the measurements and specifications, but that's doable enough with a scale and a caliper. Right?

However if a powder is not listed, what can you do? It doesn't seem likely that you could find the data needed to add an unlisted powder. Right?

I could live with that if Quickload includes the powders I'm likely to use. But I can't find a listing of the powders in the Quickload database anywhere. Is there a list of these powders somewhere?

Tom Myers
02-02-2014, 11:42 AM
However if a powder is not listed, what can you do? It doesn't seem likely that you could find the data needed to add an unlisted powder. Right?

Right. You should only use data from Quickload that they have tested and determined to be compatible with their calculation parameters.

I could live with that if Quickload includes the powders I'm likely to use. But I can't find a listing of the powders in the Quickload database anywhere. Is there a list of these powders somewhere?

Quickload's main powder list contains about 218 powders.

The modification date on the powder file that came with my setup is 8/18/2009 so Quickload may have added more powders in a newer edition.

It would be tedious to copy a complete list of all the powders but most powders are listed from the following brands.
If you need to know about some specific powders, post the names and I'll check them against the files that I have.

Accurate
ADI
Alliant
Bofors
Hodgdon
IMR
Kazan Sunar 308 (1 listing)
Lovex
Norma
PB Clermont PCL
Ramshot
Raufoss (3 listings)
Rottweil
SF-033 fl (1 listing)
Somchem
Snpe Vetcam
TLP A 502(RH) ,test only (1 listing)
V1734 7-multiperf ,test only (1 listing)
Vihtavuori
Nitrochemie ( 2 listings)
Winchester

Hope this helps.

leadmonkey
02-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm currently only loading pistol ammo, revolver and auto, standard and magnum, with what I assume are common powders, W231/HP38, Universal, Unique, Bullseye, Accurate #2, 2400, H110 etc.. If I can be confident that these common powders are covered, I am probably going to go ahead and order Quickload.

Tom Myers
02-03-2014, 12:32 AM
I'm currently only loading pistol ammo, revolver and auto, standard and magnum, with what I assume are common powders, W231/HP38, Universal, Unique, Bullseye, Accurate #2, 2400, H110 etc.. If I can be confident that these common powders are covered, I am probably going to go ahead and order Quickload.

Yep, all there and many, many more.

The only ones that I wish were there and are not in the powder data files that I have are the IMR "SR" series powders. However it appears that is a moot point as I understand that Hodgdon is going to discontinue the SR series next year.

r1kk1
02-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Yep, all there and many, many more.
However it appears that is a moot point as I understand that Hodgdon is going to discontinue the SR series next year.

WHAT?!?

NOOOO!!!!!

r1kk1

Make my day
02-13-2014, 10:26 PM
you can load that match king and get a1700 feet per second or so, but a hornet 1:16 twist will never stabilizae that bullet unles you hav a custom barrel with a 1:8 twist or so.

Make my day
02-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Quickload is a great program, but an estimator, remember just like data from load books, start lower and work up. I have found it to be quite accurate with jacketed bullets, but cast bullets are more scattered, bullets hardness variations maybe? you can get database updates from them without upgrading the software to new version and get access to more bullets and powders that have been modeled in.

Expat74
02-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Quickload is a great program, but an estimator, remember just like data from load books, start lower and work up. I have found it to be quite accurate with jacketed bullets, but cast bullets are more scattered, bullets hardness variations maybe? you can get database updates from them without upgrading the software to new version and get access to more bullets and powders that have been modeled in.

Do you happen to have a link for the *.bul files (and/or powders) for the updates, or are these available only on cd rom?

dragon813gt
02-14-2014, 06:13 PM
I went to buy the program yesterday. Found out it's only available on CD. I don't understand this since it's 2014. I have an Ultrabook w/ no CD drive so looks like I'm SOL since you can't download it like every other program out there.

dragon813gt
02-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Well I bit the bullet so to speak and ordered the program. It's up and running and boy is it overwhelming. I've been reading the User Guide about adding bullets. I've been able to create a new folder for a mold manufacturer as well as add a new bullet to that folder. But it seems very limited. I'm only able to add the length/diamter/weight of bullet. I don't know the BC of these bullets. Am I assuming correctly that to take full advantage of the program I will need the software from TMT Enterprises to work in conjunction w/ Quickloads? Otherwise I'm just adding really basic information about a bullet. It looks like I need the TMT software to draw a bullet up and get all the pertinent info to add to QL. Is this correct?

Tom Myers
02-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Dragon813gt,

Although you would learn a lot and probably never regret purchasing the Precision Bullet Design software (http://www.tmtpages.com/draw/draw.htm), unless your intent is to design custom bullets to fit specific chambers or you just plain enjoy designing bullets, other methods of determining the bullet ballistic coefficients are available.
The Precision Ballistic Coefficient Estimator (http://www.tmtpages.com/calcbc/calcbc.htm) on my website can calculate a fairly close ballistic coefficent for most bullets of normal configuration.
However, the G1 Ballistic Coefficient Estimator software (http://www.tmtpages.com/#bc) can more closely estimate ballistic coefficients for jacketed, cast and roundball projectiles and save your data in a retrievable database as does the Precision Ballistics (http://www.tmtpages.com/basbal/bal.htm) software module.

Well I bit the bullet so to speak and ordered the program. It's up and running and boy is it overwhelming. I've been reading the User Guide about adding bullets. I've been able to create a new folder for a mold manufacturer as well as add a new bullet to that folder. But it seems very limited. I'm only able to add the length/diamter/weight of bullet. I don't know the BC of these bullets. Am I assuming correctly that to take full advantage of the program I will need the software from TMT Enterprises to work in conjunction w/ Quickloads? Otherwise I'm just adding really basic information about a bullet. It looks like I need the TMT software to draw a bullet up and get all the pertinent info to add to QL. Is this correct?

dragon813gt
02-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I was really just looking for a good reason to buy it. I like to play around w/ stuff like this. Most of it is way over my head at this time but it seems like a good way to teach myself.

Tom Myers
02-27-2014, 12:30 PM
I was really just looking for a good reason to buy it. I like to play around w/ stuff like this. Most of it is way over my head at this time but it seems like a good way to teach myself.

Go for it. you will learn a lot. A lot more up-grade goodies are in the works for the design software. I have a thread in the Vendor Sponsor forum but haven't yet had the time to place any of the pending upgrades and information in it. I'll get on that as soon as possible.

If it gets too far over your head, contact me and we can get your head above the water.

dnotarianni
03-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Yes you can enter custom bullets. You can change or add data for everything really, all config files are plain text.

There's no real other game in town for internal ballistics. External ballistics yes, there are plenty of better and more simple calculators imho.

OK I did some custom bullets but I can't save it Shank lenght in case will not save Any ideas what I'm doing wrong
Thanks dave

Tom Myers
03-03-2014, 03:20 PM
OK I did some custom bullets but I can't save it Shank lenght in case will not save Any ideas what I'm doing wrong
Thanks dave

The shank length value is different from the seating depth value only if you are using a boat tail bullet.
The shank length value is measured from the mouth of the case to the point where the boat tail taper begins,
The length of taper is automatically subtracted from the seating depth of the bullet and displayed as the Shank Seat.Depth.
Be sure your Cartridge Length, Case Length and Projectile O.A. Length are correctly entered in order to arrive at the actual seating depth

Hope this helps.

dnotarianni
03-03-2014, 03:50 PM
The shank length value is different from the seating depth value only if you are using a boat tail bullet.
The shank length value is measured from the mouth of the case to the point where the boat tail taper begins,
The length of taper is automatically subtracted from the seating depth of the bullet and displayed as the Shank Seat.Depth.
Be sure your Cartridge Length, Case Length and Projectile O.A. Length are correctly entered in order to arrive at the actual seating depth

Hope this helps.

Using a straight shank bullet Problem is I enter all my #s but can't get it to save. Got 4 different .500 bullets and if I change my specks on one, all of them change. I can't save an individual bullet. Have different names and the projectile lenght is correct but the seating depth will not save and the overall lenght will stay as last bullet I worked with

Tom Myers
03-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Using a straight shank bullet Problem is I enter all my #s but can't get it to save. Got 4 different .500 bullets and if I change my specks on one, all of them change. I can't save an individual bullet. Have different names and the projectile lenght is correct but the seating depth will not save and the overall lenght will stay as last bullet I worked with

Let's assume that you have created your personal bullet file by going to
"Main Menu" ~"Data ,Add, Change, Load, Save"~"Projectile / Bullet data"~

"Create new bullet file"

and entered a file name such as "mybullets.bul" and then clicked the "OK" button.

And then went to

"Load a bullet file",

selected the bullet file just created and clicked the "OK" button.

Next go to

"Change data records in active file".

Now the bullet edit panel is displayed where you can edit or enter your bullet data.

Enter the title for you bullet, overwriting the existing title, following the same format that QuikLoad uses - caliber, weight, bullet vendor and ID number. Be sure to place the commas where they belong.

Enter the remaining values in the edit windows and when completed, click "Add New" Button to save the bullet to your personal bullet file.

When entering another bullet, just type in the new name over the existing one and then edit the remaining fields with the values of the bullet with the new name and again click the "Add New" Button to save that bullet.

If you select an existing bullet file and change or edit some data, without making any changes to the text in the title, and then click the "Add New" Button, you will get a message asking if you wish to overwrite the existing file. Click yes to save your changes.

Hope this helps. If you are still having problems getting the program to save bullet data, call me at the support contact number on the Precision Ballistics Web site and we'll see if we can make it work for you.

dnotarianni
03-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Let's assume that you have created your personal bullet file by going to

"Create new bullet file"

and entered a file name such as "mybullets.bul" and then clicked the "OK" button.

And then went to

"Load a bullet file",

selected the bullet file just created and clicked the "OK" button.

Next go to

"Change data records in active file".

Now the bullet edit panel is displayed where you can edit or enter your bullet data.

Enter the title for you bullet, overwriting the existing title, following the same format that QuikLoad uses - caliber, weight, bullet vendor and ID number. Be sure to place the commas where they belong.

Enter the remaining values in the edit windows and when completed, click "Add New" Button to save the bullet to your personal bullet file.

When entering another bullet, just type in the new name over the existing one and then edit the remaining fields with the values of the bullet with the new name and again click the "Add New" Button to save that bullet.

If you select an existing bullet file and change or edit some data, without making any changes to the text in the title, and then click the "Add New" Button, you will get a message asking if you wish to overwrite the existing file. Click yes to save your changes.

Hope this helps. If you are still having problems getting the program to save bullet data, call me at the support contact number on the Precision Ballistics Web site and we'll see if we can make it work for you.

Thanks Tom Saved all my bullets but seating depth would not save. I did a cartridge file and renamed each cartridge with bullet size and it did save but only as a cartridge file not a bullet file. Is this a program blip? All the numbers I get from the program are all within 30 FPS to actual chrony readings I had in my files so the program works great for me except for the bullet file. I would think that if I put in a bullet with a seating depth it would follow across all loads for that caliber but it always goes to the published over all length and changes the seating depth to match the published length. Probably need to play some more.
Thanks
Dave

Tom Myers
03-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks Tom Saved all my bullets but seating depth would not save. I did a cartridge file and renamed each cartridge with bullet size and it did save but only as a cartridge file not a bullet file. Is this a program blip? All the numbers I get from the program are all within 30 FPS to actual chrony readings I had in my files so the program works great for me except for the bullet file. I would think that if I put in a bullet with a seating depth it would follow across all loads for that caliber but it always goes to the published over all length and changes the seating depth to match the published length. Probably need to play some more.
Thanks
Dave

Dave

The cartridge file saves the cartridge O.A.L., case length, case capacity, bore groove dia and bore area.

The bullet file saves the bullet length, weight and diameter.

After you have selected the cartridge to be used and then selected the bullet to be used, QuickLoad calculates the seating depth from those values.

Look at the Cartridge Length value that is displayed at the left of the form. After loading the Cartridge and bullet, you can edit that value to your actual cartridge overall length. Editing that value will calculate the actual bullet seating depth for your internal ballistic calculations.

If you wish that seating depth value to appear each time you select that bullet and cartridge combination, you need to select a cartrtridge file with the case length and cartridge OAL that match the cartridge loaded with your selected bullet.

What I do is create a Cartridge record labeled for caliber, case mfg, firearm, bullet ID and COAL like so -
".280 Rem Fed Browning2 RCBS Silh 145 3.315" { don't use any commas in the cartridge title as that will mess up the file selection process}

That cartridge record has the correct case length and COAL used in the reloading setup and the actual volume of a fired case from the selected firearm along with the bore and groove diameter of the firearm.

I then select the bullet labeled "RCBS Silh 145" and the correct seating depth is calculated so everything is setup for the internal ballistics calculations.

dnotarianni
03-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Dave

The cartridge file saves the cartridge O.A.L., case length, case capacity, bore groove dia and bore area.

The bullet file saves the bullet length, weight and diameter.

After you have selected the cartridge to be used and then selected the bullet to be used, QuickLoad calculates the seating depth from those values.

Look at the Cartridge Length value that is displayed at the left of the form. After loading the Cartridge and bullet, you can edit that value to your actual cartridge overall length. Editing that value will calculate the actual bullet seating depth for your internal ballistic calculations.

If you wish that seating depth value to appear each time you select that bullet and cartridge combination, you need to select a cartrtridge file with the case length and cartridge OAL that match the cartridge loaded with your selected bullet.

What I do is create a Cartridge record labeled for caliber, case mfg, firearm, bullet ID and COAL like so -
".280 Rem Fed Browning2 RCBS Silh 145 3.315" { don't use any commas in the cartridge title as that will mess up the file selection process}

That cartridge record has the correct case length and COAL used in the reloading setup and the actual volume of a fired case from the selected firearm along with the bore and groove diameter of the firearm.

I then select the bullet labeled "RCBS Silh 145" and the correct seating depth is calculated so everything is setup for the internal ballistics calculations.

Thats pretty much what I did Made a cartridge file with each head I use. Upgrade for the program would be when you make a projectile file it includes a seating depth for that projectile that is saved also

dragon813gt
03-11-2014, 01:13 PM
So does anyone have the powder info for SR4759? I went out and bought a bunch of it. I knew it wasn't part of the program to begin w/. But it would be nice to have it so I can work up some loads for lightweight bullets that aren't listed in any of the manuals. I'm specifically trying to load some 180RF bullets for a 358 Winchester. These are what I have on hand as my new mold is not made yet :(

jmort
03-11-2014, 01:32 PM
If no one comes up with anything I will check Load Data for you later when I have some time.

dragon813gt
03-11-2014, 05:12 PM
If no one comes up with anything I will check Load Data for you later when I have some time.

Thanks. I'm definitely looking for the powder information. I have a bunch of 357 pistol bullets that I'd like to use. Mainly for lead and powder conservation. I'm planning on using W231 for most of them. But would like to use SR4759 since I have it.

264 Win Mag
03-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Just bought ver 3.8 and started reading the manual and the online reviews. Lots of good information so far but I have a question regarding something I have not run across yet. I don't see anywhere you input the twist rate of your barrel. I know it is important with regards to the bullet you are using but I would have thought it factored into some of the other data as well. Did I miss something or is it not part of the calculations?

Thomas

Expat74
03-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Thomas,

you can define that under the gun data, go data - gun data. Define your firearm including barrel length, twist, caliber, height of sight, etc.

Hope this helps.

E.

9w1911
03-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Pm me if anyone has mac versions for any of this software

264 Win Mag
03-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Thomas,

you can define that under the gun data, go data - gun data. Define your firearm including barrel length, twist, caliber, height of sight, etc.

Hope this helps.

E.

Just what I was looking for. Thank you,

Thomas

264 Win Mag
03-29-2014, 03:15 PM

If you are asking about Quickload they do not have a Mac version as I asked. The other programs I can not say.

Thomas

brotherdarrell
04-02-2014, 05:44 PM
I am getting ready to order this next week and have a question for you all. Will I be able to load this on both my computers? I have a desktop and a laptop.

Thanx

Darrell

Doc Highwall
04-02-2014, 07:38 PM
I have it loaded on two laptops.

brotherdarrell
04-02-2014, 07:41 PM
I have it loaded on two laptops.

Thank you sir

BCB
04-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Well, I just finished reading this entire thread…

I have been debating purchasing this program since I made several posts in 2010!!!...

I still haven’t purchased it…

I was wondering about all the posters who were “on the borderline” of purchasing it if they did purchase the program and do they really enjoy it and is it useful to develop cast boolit loads?...

I am now reloading for the 6.8mm and there is almost no data for cast boolits. Much of the data for jacketed bullets are for the very most common weights—seems 85 grains to 120 grains. Yea, some other data for heavier bullets are available, but powder selecting is somewhat limited also…

Is the 6.8mm on the latest version of Quick Load?...

If not, I guess I could add it and take it from there?...

Still thinkin’ of purchasing it!!!...

Thanks…BCB

gmsharps
04-05-2014, 11:17 AM
I am not at a location that I can look at the program to see if the caliber you are referring to is included but if you shoot much you will wonder at why you took so long at getting it. For myself it has paid for itself by saving powder and bullets and could get a good starting point closer to what I was looking for in performance and just had to tweak the load for the gun. It's fun just to play with other powders to see what it takes to get the case fill you want and velocity without going over pressure. Then you have the program that gives you the trajectory charts for your load. I still double check with the paper books before I load for real. I never trust only one source.

gmsharps

BCB
04-05-2014, 02:10 PM
“I still double check with the paper books before I load for real. I never trust only one source.”

Yep, that is what I am afraid of. If I have to double check the data it gives me, then I already have that data at my access—I have 34+ manuals—some pretty old, some new. Difficult to give an exact number as they are throughout my house—computer room, my end stand as I watch TV and of course, at my reloading room…

I am still debating. A high-tech program is nice, but if it is just to “dilly-dally” with, I can still purchase lots and lots of manuals and published data for the price of the program…

But, I’m still thinking of purchasing…

Thanks…BCB

Expat74
04-05-2014, 02:15 PM
I have version 3.8 but in the pre-Jan-2014 version.

6.8 SPC is available in this version already. What I like about Quickload is that I can extend it myself .. in terms of bullets, powder, and and and. When I bought it, I was first overwhelmed of the functionality, but if you put your behind in a chair for a couple of hours you will get the picture what is possible and what not.

As gmsharps says, it's a boost of reloader tools, playing with powders, tweaking loads for case fill, how much of your powder actually burns in your defined barrel (or not). I always look up load data on paper too before I load, if the data displayed or suggested makes sense.

Dark Helmet
04-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Just got the Jan 2014 update. Was hoping that it had Accurate LT 32 and Alliant MP 300 powders in it .....NOT. Anyone have the data for them?

wlc
04-12-2014, 01:53 AM
Well, I just finished reading this entire thread…

I have been debating purchasing this program since I made several posts in 2010!!!...

I still haven’t purchased it…

I was wondering about all the posters who were “on the borderline” of purchasing it if they did purchase the program and do they really enjoy it and is it useful to develop cast boolit loads?...

I am now reloading for the 6.8mm and there is almost no data for cast boolits. Much of the data for jacketed bullets are for the very most common weights—seems 85 grains to 120 grains. Yea, some other data for heavier bullets are available, but powder selecting is somewhat limited also…

Is the 6.8mm on the latest version of Quick Load?...

If not, I guess I could add it and take it from there?...

Still thinkin’ of purchasing it!!!...

Thanks…BCB

Yes, as 6.8 Rem SPC

wlc
04-12-2014, 01:57 AM
OK, two things.

1- where do I go get the Jan 2014 update??

2-Is there any way to input a desired FPS into QL and it tells me how much powder??? Or do I just have to play with it till I get the fps I'm looking for for the powder I'm using?

Tom Myers
04-12-2014, 09:31 AM
2-Is there any way to input a desired FPS into QL and it tells me how much powder??? Or do I just have to play with it till I get the fps I'm looking for for the powder I'm using?

Page 25 in the QuickLoad Manual details the way this is set up.

Here is a short version.
By the way, I think this is, absolutely, the best feature in the whole program.

Go to the menu bart at the top of the form and click the Propellant Table Setup icon

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/QuickloadImages/QLPropellantTableSelect.png

Use the slider bars to select a range of approximate burn rate powders to use

The image below is from the QuickLoad manual
(This can be confusing as QuickLoad's Number system is reversed from what we are accustomed to using. Just remember that fast powders have a high number and slow powders have a low number)
http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/QuickloadImages/QLPropellantTableSlider.png

Select the Radio Button beside the "fps" window.

Click the "Apply and Exit" button to view the Propellant Table.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/QuickloadImages/QLPropellantTable.png

( I have my own powder powder table installed so this is a short table)

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/QuickloadImages/QLPropellantTableHeader.png

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/QuickloadImages/QLPropellantTableData.png

fatelvis
04-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Has anyone tried modeling SR 4759 powder in QL? Or is there a powder in the QL database one can approximate the performance of 4759?

Nels
I've been wanting to enter 4759 into the database too. I called Ed and he said the average user can't add powders, as they require special burn charicteristic numbers. Those numbers are difficult to get from the powder manufacturers/distributers.

fatelvis
04-15-2014, 08:23 PM
What number do you guys use for the shot start initiation pressure for cast boolits, and then if the boolits are jammed?

Bonz
04-30-2014, 06:01 PM
how can I add new smokeless powder to my version (newest) of QuickLoad ?

I'm missing Win AutoComp and a few others

dragon813gt
04-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Good luck w/ this one. I know at least one person has added SR4759. But when asked to provide the info nothing has happened. Not that I can blame them. That's a lot of responsibility and potential problems. There are a lot of values to change for powders so it's not something you go into lightly.

rickster
05-06-2014, 11:25 PM
I developed a powder profile for SR4759 several years ago. As I recall, I modified the data on an existing powder until the results matched chrono data. Here is a screenshot for whatever it may be worth. I would suggest validating it to your own satisfaction before using it. Post back if your experiments suggest data changes are needed.

shooting1
05-09-2014, 06:52 PM
wlc,
The Jan '14 update available on Neco website http://www.neconos.com/index.html see the flashing new sign next to the picture of the case gauge.

Rickster,
thanks for publishing 4759 powder data, any luck with 7625, WSF, Autocomp?
I've been playing with quickload on some 9mm pistol loads to get my bearing with it and I'm still having problems
with data matching load performance. Seems case capacity is the key, quickload came with 13.69 grains h2o and I've seen published data up to 15.50. I've measured my cases, Federals, at about 14.40 but the quickload data and performance is still off.
Any suggestions? Any case capacity work best for you?

thanks in advance

kfarm
05-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Deleted

tommag
05-30-2014, 10:27 AM
I am just starting to play with quick load, version 3.8.
Trying to come up with a table for .358 win, with rcbs 35-200, and holding pressures to 46,500. I got a max of imr 4895 of 46.7 grs. for a pressure of 44,466, and worked my way down to 42.0 grs for a pressure of 30,575. It says to increase the start pressure by 7200 if you seat into the lands. Doing this increased the map from 30,575 to 41,719.
I'm glad I found this bit of info, that's a heck of an increase!
My (max) load of 44,466 psi increased to 56,537, way over what I wanted!
Does seating boolits into the rifling actually raise pressures this much?
Also, changing boolit diameter from .358 to .360 doesn't seem to affect pressures, am I off track in thinking this is wrong?

AKbushman49
10-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Just a little heads up- I recently purchased Quickload, and had a problem with the installation. It wouldn't complete the install process, it would get to about 12% of the download off the disk and come up with errors, and wouldn't complete the installation. Now not being a computer geek, was at a loss at the time (windows 8.1). I had another computer with an older run system so tried installing Quickload on it. Bingo no problem. So back to the new computer. The instructions with Quickload state to make sure the Quickload demo program is removed completely. Problem was for some reason it (Windows 8.1) wouldn't uninstall the demo program completely (new computer), left the directory and a file. Trying to remove the old directory & file with the uninstall program was futile. Would come back to (file not found) Yet still there on the hard drive. So in the Quickload install process you can specify the directory you want the program in. I took a WAG and told install program to install Quickload to a different directory than the default. Woopie success. Needless to say I'm not enthralled with WIN 8.1 and still haven't found a way to completely remove the Demo program, but I'm up and running Quickload on the new computer. If anyone else has this problem that's how I solved it. bushman

Sensai
10-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Good to know, thanks.

reader
10-28-2014, 02:52 AM

I use WineBottler to run QuickLoad in Mac. "WineBottler packages Windows-based programs snugly into Mac app-bundles."

It works and it's free.

Expat74
11-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Long time no activity in this thread.. :popcorn:

It is indeed a great program.. Maybe sometimes I'm asking too much but I was thinking since I'm using it for all action types I have .. how can you get a good estimate for bullet speed and pressures when you use the same load in both

- a bolt action rifle
- a semiautomatic rifle

Once you have entered all your weapon info, barrel data and all and you create a a load for said weapon configuration. Let's assume, both are .308 Win, same load, same bullet (sized to same dia.), same barrel length and diameter. One uses the gas to cycle the action, one doesn't.

Would you use the feature for calculating long barrel friction? Under normal circumstances, when would you activate this setting anyway. 26" and up? Manual says nothing about it.
Has someone did this experiment already and chrono'd the loads? Maybe found some pointers?

Expat

Sensai
11-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Good question. I don't know the answer, but I will be following your thread to find out if anybody comes up with an answer.

BCB
11-16-2014, 05:50 PM
I've been following this thread forever. (!)...

I am just about ready to purchase the program...

Does it run from the disc? And can it be installed on several computers?

Thanks...BCB

Tom Myers
11-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Don't wait any longer. Just do it. You will wonder why it took so long to make up your mind.

As with any software, there is a learning curve. READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL and then read it again. If you get stuck on a problem, someone on this forum can most likely help.

The package that you receive will contain an installation disk. Insert the installation disk into your computer and install the software onto your computer according to the directions.

I used the disk to install the software on my desktop and my laptop with no problems.

rsrocket1
11-26-2014, 04:53 PM
I haven't been able to actually measure the difference between the same loads in a bolt and gas operated rifle. If you have, that would be a great empirical factor to predict how Quickload will apply to either.

What I do know is that Quickload does predict muzzle velocities very close to actual measured velocity. From that, I can presume that it is calculating Pmax accurately. I tend to load to or below 75% Pmax predicted pressures so there is plenty of safety margin. My rifle experience has been with a 20" AR in 5.56/.223 and a bolt action .308 and the predicted velocities have been very close particularly with the .308 using anything from subsonic 200g cast to full power jacketed bullets (150g @ 2700 fps) and some odd loads (100g SJ @ 3000 fps).

BCB
12-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Don't wait any longer. Just do it. You will wonder why it took so long to make up your mind.

As with any software, there is a learning curve. READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL and then read it again. If you get stuck on a problem, someone on this forum can most likely help.

The package that you receive will contain an installation disk. Insert the installation disk into your computer and install the software onto your computer according to the directions.

I used the disk to install the software on my desktop and my laptop with no problems.

O.K. It just arrived in the mail...

Where is the Instruction Manual? Is it installed with the program?...

I just started messing with it with the 45 Colt--there is about 5 bullets listed--is that all there is? I sure hope there are more bullets than that. Not many for the 44 Magnum either. Am I missing something?...

This could prove interesting...

Thanks...BCB

BCB
12-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Just input some data for the 270 Winchester...

130 grain bullet...55 grains 4831...

Output 1776 fps with 900 ft/lbs energy...

I think we have a problem?...

Might not be a "user friendly" as I hoped...

BCB

Bonz
12-01-2014, 02:17 PM
O.K. It just arrived in the mail...

Where is the Instruction Manual? Is it installed with the program?...

I just started messing with it with the 45 Colt--there is about 5 bullets listed--is that all there is? I sure hope there are more bullets than that. Not many for the 44 Magnum either. Am I missing something?...

This could prove interesting...

Thanks...BCB

Pick the manufacturer of the bullet first ( speer, hornady, etc ) and then look for the right bullet

BCB
12-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Pick the manufacturer of the bullet first ( speer, hornady, etc ) and then look for the right bullet

O.K. I did that and got the bullet I was looking for...

But, I am still getting crazy velocities and energies...

Any thoughts on that?...

Thanks...BCB

Bonz
12-01-2014, 02:28 PM
O.K. I did that and got the bullet I was looking for...

But, I am still getting crazy velocities and energies...

Any thoughts on that?...

Thanks...BCB

Bullet depth, COL, etc. You need to validate all settings and measurements

BCB
12-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Bullet depth, COL, etc. You need to validate all settings and measurements

Yep, I see that...

Plus, I had the wrong barrel length--that really matters also!!!...

Tom Myers
12-01-2014, 02:44 PM
You can access the users guide from your computer's program menu.

Go the lower left corner of your screen and click on The Start Menu icon

Then navigate down to the Quickload folder to access the various items installed on your computer.

There are database files from many bullet and mold manufactures in the data files loaded with the installation.
The users guide will explain how to access the individual files from which you can select a bullet.
The guide will also show you how to enter your own bullet data and you can create a bullet file that lists all the bullets that you have access to or intend to use and you don't have to search through all the files to make a selection.

There is a learning curve but the User's Guide is your friend.

BCB
12-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Got it...

I drug it to my desktop along side of the other QuckLoad icons...

I entered some of the data that I have from know cartridges I have chronographed--pretty dang close the velocity I am getting over the Chrony...

The 6.8 Remington SPC is my next one to use the QuickLoad for...

I have been shooting it for about 6 months and I would like to just see what other data might be interesting...

Thanks...BCB

BCB
12-01-2014, 07:21 PM
I've been messing with it a bit using published data and some of the reloads I actually use...

With the 6.8 SPC and H322 it is showing several of the loads I am shooting as compressed--they are not. I am using my O.C.L. and it is longer than what is suggested. I plug the info in and it continues to indicate compression...

Does this program calculate the seating depth if the O.C.L. is known for a particular bullet? The program also says water capacity for this case is 34. It is actually 36 as I have measured it several times to use with and old handheld Powley Computer--it predicts very well--it is actually amazing, but very labor intesive...

I entered data from Hodgdon Manual and it is quite a bit different than the fps indicated by Hodgdon...

So far, I'm not too sure about this program...

Time will tell I suppose...

Good-luck...BCB

Tom Myers
12-01-2014, 09:16 PM
If you edit the bullet length, case trim-to length and the cartridge OAL, the software will calculate the correct seating depth and available powder space.

You can change the cartridge case H20 capacity before calculations or enter a new cartridge case with the correct dimensions and capacity.

(Double click the images to view full size)

The program is very versatile and with time and experience you can build your custom cartridge, bullet and powder databases to the point where you will be able to calculate very accurate internal ballistic values that reflect the components that YOU use.

{"So far, I'm not too sure about this program..."} Don't be too quick to form an opinion. Like I mentioned before, the learning curve is steep, but once you get everything all put together, It is can be one of your most productive reloading tools.

I have been working all afternoon on a load for a Marlin 25-20 that was relined and chambered with a match reamer. Finding a cast bullet among my molds that will fit the tight chamber was a challenge but I finally settled on Lyman's 257132

I want a load with a muzzle velocity of around 1600fps so, using the firearm, cartridge, bullet and powder databases that I have stored in Quickload, the software gave me my starting load with just a few minutes of setup and evaluation.

dragon813gt
12-01-2014, 09:27 PM
I entered data from Hodgdon Manual and it is quite a bit different than the fps indicated by Hodgdon...

So far, I'm not too sure about this program...

Did you enter all the data exactly like Hodgdon used? Since they don't give you everything you will only get close. The program is scary accurate and has been verified by thousands of shooters. Take the time to learn how to use it properly. Once your firearms and cast bullets are entered you can have loads for it in a few minutes. It's an extremely deep program. When you think you understand it, you will find something that you didn't know about before.

BCB
12-02-2014, 04:18 PM
If you edit the bullet length, case trim-to length and the cartridge OAL, the software will calculate the correct seating depth and available powder space.

You can change the cartridge case H20 capacity before calculations or enter a new cartridge case with the correct dimensions and capacity.

(Double click the images to view full size)

The program is very versatile and with time and experience you can build your custom cartridge, bullet and powder databases to the point where you will be able to calculate very accurate internal ballistic values that reflect the components that YOU use.

{"So far, I'm not too sure about this program..."} Don't be too quick to form an opinion. Like I mentioned before, the learning curve is steep, but once you get everything all put together, It is can be one of your most productive reloading tools.

I have been working all afternoon on a load for a Marlin 25-20 that was relined and chambered with a match reamer. Finding a cast bullet among my molds that will fit the tight chamber was a challenge but I finally settled on Lyman's 257132

I want a load with a muzzle velocity of around 1600fps so, using the firearm, cartridge, bullet and powder databases that I have stored in Quickload, the software gave me my starting load with just a few minutes of setup and evaluation.

Why did you choose SR-4759? Aren't there other powders that will do what you want?...

I am working with the propellent table setup and really don't know how to set the Ba values. It get crazy amounts of powders many times, but 99% of them are "dangerous-don't use" or near maximum...

Can the ones that are near maximum be lowered by a few grains, depending on powder, and used as a "starting" load to be used as a reference for using the same powder?...

Thanks...BCB

Tom Myers
12-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Why did you choose SR-4759? Aren't there other powders that will do what you want?...

I am working with the propellent table setup and really don't know how to set the Ba values. It get crazy amounts of powders many times, but 99% of them are "dangerous-don't use" or near maximum...

Can the ones that are near maximum be lowered by a few grains, depending on powder, and used as a "starting" load to be used as a reference for using the same powder?...

Thanks...BCB

I wanted the cleanest burning, most filling, moderate pressure powder that would give me 1600 fps.
87.7% of powder burnt, 86.1% or 92% of powder volume and 17,682 psi fit those parameters.

Those are the 3 parameters I try to use when selecting most of my initial loadings, high volume, clean burning and low pressure.

The "IMR SR 4759 Test 1" is about 30 years old and I wanted to use that up before the "IMR SR 4759" which seems weighs out having less density than the older stuff.

Until you understand more about them, Just set the BA values at the Min. and Max. settings and ignore the dangerous selected powder charges.

If a powder you want to use and the charge results in a high pressure just go back to the main page and, in the charge panel, select that powder and keep reducing the charge grains until you have an acceptable max pressure then look in the results panel and check the muzzle velocity value and see if you can accept the lowered velocity needed to maintain a safe pressure level.

Study the Users Manual to gain more insight into the BA values.

BCB
12-09-2014, 12:09 PM
O.K. Got the BA figured out somewhat...

I have been messing with QuickTarget also...

How do I get all the units to be in "yds or in. or ft/lbs". All my distances in the trajectory graph are in meters...

Thanks...BCB

Tom Myers
12-09-2014, 03:25 PM
O.K. Got the BA figured out somewhat...

I have been messing with QuickTarget also...

How do I get all the units to be in "yds or in. or ft/lbs". All my distances in the trajectory graph are in meters...

Thanks...BCB

Double click on image.

264 Win Mag
12-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Quick question for the longtime users of Quickload, when the annual update comes out is there an idea of what new components or powders are going to be in there or is it like a Christmas surprise for everyone?

Thomas

wlc
12-14-2014, 07:49 PM
I just recently bought the update. It was like Christmas.... I didn't even think about asking just exactly WHAT was in the update before buying it though. Guess you could do that. Whats the worst that could happen?

264 Win Mag
12-14-2014, 07:59 PM
I did not know the latest update was out already. When did it become available? I am not sure why but I thought it came out in early January.

Thomas

BCB
12-14-2014, 09:11 PM
I just ordered and received the V.3.8 version in the past month...

I assume that is the latest version?...

I sure hope I don't have to update in January...

BCB

264 Win Mag
12-14-2014, 09:15 PM
I forget exactly when I bought mine during the year but it is version 3.8 so the new update is not been released yet I assume.
Hoping LeverEvolution powder is in there!

Thomas

wlc
12-14-2014, 10:15 PM
I just ordered and received the V.3.8 version in the past month...

I assume that is the latest version?...

I sure hope I don't have to update in January...

BCB

Me too! I didn't realize it had been updated earlier. I've only had QL a little over a year IIRC and didn't realize they had the update till a month or so ago.

BCB
12-15-2014, 08:01 AM
Hmmmmmmm...

Guess we'll see if an update will be released in the near future...

I will sure be disappointed if so as I really thought the version I purchased would be "good" for some time--it is pricy...

I wonder if we will get an e-mail letting us know if an update is available?...

BCB

264 Win Mag
12-15-2014, 08:13 AM
I checked the website and did not see anything about an update except for if you were upgrading from an older version altogether. They were listing version 3.8 as current.
Maybe one of the longtime users will chime in and let us know when the annual update comes out and what it costs.

Thomas

wlc
12-16-2014, 01:00 AM
Hmmmmmmm...

Guess we'll see if an update will be released in the near future...

I will sure be disappointed if so as I really thought the version I purchased would be "good" for some time--it is pricy...

I wonder if we will get an e-mail letting us know if an update is available?...

BCB

I didn't.

Bonz
12-16-2014, 06:29 AM
I talked with them yesterday about the update. He said that if you have CFE 223 powder, you are up to date

Doc Highwall
12-16-2014, 01:17 PM
How much did the update cost?

Lars-K
12-16-2014, 05:16 PM
To stay tuned on prices and latest update check the websites selling QuickLOAD:

US: http://www.neconos.com/category/Software-2
UK: http://quickload.co.uk/collections/all

wlc
12-17-2014, 01:58 AM
How much did the update cost?

IIRC it was only about $15-20.

1966DDart
12-22-2014, 04:24 PM
I have an early version (2013) of 3.8 and it doesn't have the CFE 223 powder...so, I know I'm not at the latest based on previous comments. Would someone with the update mind checking to see if the update contains Alliant 300-MP too? If it has that powder, I'd be willing to spring for the $15.95...otherwise I might be inclined to wait until the next update. Thanks!

BCB
12-22-2014, 04:41 PM
I have an early version (2013) of 3.8 and it doesn't have the CFE 223 powder...so, I know I'm not at the latest based on previous comments. Would someone with the update mind checking to see if the update contains Alliant 300-MP too? If it has that powder, I'd be willing to spring for the $15.95...otherwise I might be inclined to wait until the next update. Thanks!

My version is: QuickLOAD©V.3.8/DLL: 1.00. I just got it very recently…

Mine has CFE-223 but no Alliant 300-MP…

I wish it had 300-MP also…

Good-luck…BCB

264 Win Mag
12-22-2014, 05:08 PM
There are a lot of new and not so new powders out there that need to be included. Being a new user myself I am unfamiliar with the size and scope of the annual updates. Any of you long time users able to comment on the size of annual updates?

Thomas

BAGTIC
12-22-2014, 05:10 PM
I would wipe something flat across the case neck. That would eliminate the meniscus, at least it should be consistent. I would be afraid that adding something to the water might change its density/weight. Of course density of water varies with temperature and one would get a different result at 50F and 95F.

Doc Highwall
12-22-2014, 08:21 PM
I ordered the update V3.8 yesterday.

BCB
12-28-2014, 09:34 AM
I have the units set to English in QuickTarget [Untitled]…

But, I can’t get them set to English in QuickTarget [Unlimited]. My graph concerning energy is showing Joules and not Foot Pounds…

Anyone help?...

Thanks…BCB

pitbull10
02-02-2015, 09:51 PM
I was wondering how long it took y'all to receive your software? I'm going on 2 weeks

BCB
02-02-2015, 09:59 PM
That was about how long it took me to receive my disc...

It seemed like it took forever, but you should be getting your copy soon...

Good-luck...BCB

dragon813gt
02-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Anyone develop a powder profile for Accurate LT-32. I figured it was in Quickload when I bought it. Of course I was wrong.

sparky45
02-04-2015, 12:20 AM
Handloader, Dec 2014 has an article about Lt-32 with some load data.

calan
02-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Being a tech junkie, reloader, and software developer...I've been wanting to play with QL for years. BUT, many of the powders I use still aren't included from what I've seen. (Alliant E3, WST, WSF, etc).

It seems that one of the main strengths of QL is to develop potential loads using cartridge and powder combinations that are off the beaten path. But if data doesn't exist for some of the most common powders available (and apparently only gets updated every couple of years), what's the point?

Sure wish those other powders were available, or the data was available so they could be entered. Looks like a fun and useful program otherwise.

pitbull10
02-05-2015, 10:32 PM
just seems to take forever to get

calan
02-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Seriously? Why not provide it as a locked download like everyone else has done for the last 5 years?

My interest in this software shrinks with every thread about it that I visit. :)

btroj
02-05-2015, 11:15 PM
I'm hoping mine gets here soon. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival.

pitbull10
02-10-2015, 10:06 PM
I received my copy yesterday and now it is time to play

btroj
02-10-2015, 10:51 PM
I got mine yesterday also. Very simple to use. Amazing

Make my day
03-09-2015, 10:06 PM
I had ver 3..3 for quite a while and upgraded to 3.5 it expanded the bullet and powder databases significantly. You may find your missing powders if you upgrade. Let me know which ones in particular and I can look and see if they are in there.

calan
03-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Alliant E3, WST, WSF

BCB
03-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Alliant E3, WST, WSF

I have version V.3.8 and none of the powders you listed are on that version--I think that may be the latest version, unless there is an update for it...

Good-luck...BCB

BCB
03-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Anyone having problems with QuickTarget when you enter the horizontal bullet impact from line of sight?...

Mine does the calculations for 0.9" no matter what is entered...

I have noticed this several times and now I can not get it to enter the -0.43 that I want to enter...

I have closed the program and even restarted the computer...

This is very discouraging. I hate to reinstall QuickTarget as I will most likely loose all of my saved data...

This is not good and appears to be a major problem if I can't get it resolved--I sure expected more for $150+...

Thanks...BCB

Dark Helmet
03-12-2015, 11:21 PM
Some shotgun powders won't be included in the QL database as they exhibit pressures (pressure curves or erratic pressures) that are not compatible when used in rifles/handguns. All Hercules shotgun powders were tested at rifle pressures, dunno about Alliant and E3. Maybe it just hasn't been included yet as the the creator of QL has not yet had it checked in a calorimeter yet.

rdbeer
03-21-2015, 05:31 PM
I've been using QuickLOAD for a long time with great results, but I'm having a problem with shot start pressure and propellant tables.

The problem is that a manually entered subsonic IMR TrailBoss load works fine (no "Shot start pressure for this data too high" warnings). But when I create a propellant table, the table says "cannot find match, try to lower shot start pressure" for TrailBoss.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

I've attached screenshots of my settings. I'm using V3.6 with a data update I bought this Jan. Thanks in advance for your help.Here are my manually plugged-in figures:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=db86f999d9&view=fimg&th=14c33b0067bd9974&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_14c33acdee462954&attbid=ANGjdJ8xp48CLFO2J1PgjjtZfSYn_oeC7gvm0rJulWu vKIbwwloDMem4i0rZ7eNQpiANOhBC_6Nmh5WWdI9NSyEdsQSEO Rl3E3YrxutxmCaBbbNQVEe8G1OGUtltqqo&sz=w1122-h752&ats=1426973452493&rm=14c33b0067bd9974&zw&atsh=1

and here is my propellant table setup that results in the "cannot find match, try to lower shot start pressure" warning for TrailBoss:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=db86f999d9&view=fimg&th=14c33b0067bd9974&attid=0.2&disp=emb&realattid=ii_14c33ae7e26591a0&attbid=ANGjdJ9zAR7_dA5CWB4kk1j0ac3HaLj5la_OPl7hHq5 qtE1_J0WoOlUfvsodTvNB37XeEGDPgtDTsr1vkd1BoSS26Czb2 N-lvcvgjIUZzl8E5n-2ckVq-jjmHcmqN7A&sz=w880-h738&ats=1426973452493&rm=14c33b0067bd9974&zw&atsh=1

dragon813gt
03-21-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm patiently awaiting a powder update. Have a lot of new powders because of this shortage. Sounds counter intuitive but I'm sure lots of people are in the same boat :laugh:

BCB
03-21-2015, 05:52 PM
I've been using QuickLOAD for a long time with great results, but I'm having a problem with shot start pressure and propellant tables.

The problem is that a manually entered subsonic IMR TrailBoss load works fine (no "Shot start pressure for this data too high" warnings). But when I create a propellant table, the table says "cannot find match, try to lower shot start pressure" for TrailBoss.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

I've attached screenshots of my settings. I'm using V3.6 with a data update I bought this Jan. Thanks in advance for your help.Here are my manually plugged-in figures:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=db86f999d9&view=fimg&th=14c33b0067bd9974&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_14c33acdee462954&attbid=ANGjdJ8xp48CLFO2J1PgjjtZfSYn_oeC7gvm0rJulWu vKIbwwloDMem4i0rZ7eNQpiANOhBC_6Nmh5WWdI9NSyEdsQSEO Rl3E3YrxutxmCaBbbNQVEe8G1OGUtltqqo&sz=w1122-h752&ats=1426973452493&rm=14c33b0067bd9974&zw&atsh=1

and here is my propellant table setup that results in the "cannot find match, try to lower shot start pressure" warning for TrailBoss:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=db86f999d9&view=fimg&th=14c33b0067bd9974&attid=0.2&disp=emb&realattid=ii_14c33ae7e26591a0&attbid=ANGjdJ9zAR7_dA5CWB4kk1j0ac3HaLj5la_OPl7hHq5 qtE1_J0WoOlUfvsodTvNB37XeEGDPgtDTsr1vkd1BoSS26Czb2 N-lvcvgjIUZzl8E5n-2ckVq-jjmHcmqN7A&sz=w880-h738&ats=1426973452493&rm=14c33b0067bd9974&zw&atsh=1

I don't see any of the screenshots...

Maybe my computer doesn't see them?...

I have seen the same thing you are mentioning, but I really don't know how to solve it either...

There is terminology with this program that is difficult to understand...

The manuals are informative, but they do not go into detail with some things...

If you read my previous post, I am having troubles with the QuickTarget program and windage. And, I can't find the target grids anymore...

Maybe try to repost the screenshots?...

Good-luck...BCB

rdbeer
03-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Oops, sorry. Trying again with the images: Can you see them?

BCB
03-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Yep, they came through this time...

I will look at them later and see if I can give a thought on them...

I have trouble with that part of the program at times also. But, that Maximum Ba Value puts you into the fastest powders available or at least thereabout. You may also want to raise the Minimum Ba to a range just a bit faster. The 0.17 you have in there places that in the slowest powders available.

And with a Minimum Loading Ratio of 29% that is filling the case pretty darn full of fast burners...

I don't know if that is the reason you are having trouble or not. This part of the program can be iffy at times...

Bullseye has a Ba of 3.63 and that is a pretty fast burner...

Don't know...

Good program, but can be damn frustrating at times...

Good-luck...BCB

rdbeer
03-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Ok, thanks BCB, appreciate your thoughts. The reason I have that wide range of Ba and Loading Ratio is that I wanted to figure out what powders are best for subsonic loads, and to understand why. It seems like TrailBoss is a good choice, but then I was surprised that it wasn't showing up as usable in the powder list. There doesn't seem to be any official user support for QuickLoad, but maybe I'll try contacting the developer directly.

By the way, something I realized when doing this is that a lot of the pistol powders that people usually recommend for subsonic loads need _very_ low filling ratios. Seems like that would give you a really unreliable load where you have to bump the powder into the bottom of the case before each shot. Discovering things like that is why I like QuickLOAD.

Dirk

BCB
03-30-2015, 01:46 PM
I am working with QuickLoad Target now and I am having the same problem as before...

It will not accept a - (minus) sign for windage...

That is, if bullet impacts are left of center, that is a minus impact. If you put the distance of impact from center as a - (minus) it will input as a positive...

This is very annoying and makes the calculations wrong. It indicates 'scope adjustment to the wrong direction...

If the creator of this program reads any of these posts, he should be aware of this...

In all honesty, the program is fun to work with, but it can not be trusted as far as sight adjustment goes. And with this problem, I wonder about other aspects of the program...

I am now 60/40 on not recommending this program...

This one "bug" makes the $150 program a bit of a damn mess--lots of money to have to interpret the results in the opposite it calculates them...

Just my thoughts to those who might be considering this expensive play toy program...

Good-luck...BCB

dromia
03-31-2015, 01:43 AM
Have you contacted Hans Broemel about this?

Lars-K
03-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Hartmut G. Brömel: hartmut_broemel@web.de

dromia
04-01-2015, 04:44 AM
Thank you for the correction.

BCB
04-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Hartmut G. Brömel: hartmut_broemel@web.de

Maybe I will contact him...

The results are strange...

My example: If my p.o.i. at 25 yards is 1" to the left of center and my 'scope adjusts at .25" at 100 yards, I should need to turn the windage 16 clicks to the right or positive...

But, the program will say a different number of clicks to adjust for a 100 yard zero. If I get it adjusted for vertical zero at 25 yards, it should take 16 clicks to put it in-line at 100 yards also. Assuming I am adjusting for 100 yards. Yet, it will indicate a different number of clicks to vertically zero at 100 yards. This is strange and it can not possibly be correct. The discrepancies are considerable and not just a click or 2...

One of the problems is there is not specific example in the pdf manuals. A specific example would show what is what with an explanation...

Oh well, it is a nice program and fun to mess around with, but I have sighted many many 'scoped firearms in over nearly 50 years and it followed that if I needed to turn windage 16 clicks at 25 yards to adjust 1" to the right since the p.o.i. was 1" to the left, the bullet would travel approximately 4" to the left at 100 yards and that would be 16 clicks to bring the p.o.i. to center...

This program does not show that and it is not close at times...

Probably just something I am doing wrong, but I will finish sighting-in my SRH this morning with just p.o.i. as they were shown on the targets yesterday--won't need the program to tell me how to do it...

And so it goes...

Good-luck...BCB

rsrocket1
04-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Did you guys ever get a powder profile of Trail Boss?

I got one a couple of years back when Hans posted it up on another forum.

Subsonic loads are right on the verge of where QL breaks down just like it does with snub nose handguns (velocities are way off).

I was developing a subsonic load for my .308. The first thing you need is the heaviest bullet you can find. I got the Lee C309-200-R because the 170g and 113g bullets simply went too fast with any appreciable amount of powder in the .308 cartridge. I started with 8g Red Dot and worked my way down. QL predicted 6.0g would get me 1036 and I only got 992. From there it simply was trial and error. I finally got a good load at 6.5g @ 1012fps with a 9.9 fps SD and the next time a 1005 fps average with a 10.2 fps SD making a "pretty big" single ragged hole at 50 yards. Time to stop.

Bottom line: Quick load is very good for predicting MV and staying safe in the pressure zone, but final load development is always up to the shooter.

BCB
04-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Does anyone know how to get the impact points to show on the Target program?...

I get it once in awhile, but not always...

It seems my computer might be the trouble?...

I am still debating in my mind how well I really like this QuickLoad program...

It's fascinating, but many times very user unfriendly...

I've read the manuals, but they don't give an actual example--It should start with a particular load and work through all the options...

Plus, the grids, etc. on the Target program are not to scale. I would be nice as one could just hold the shot target over the screen and use the curser to mark points of impact. But then, if I can't get it to show points of impact, guess it doesn't really matter...

Good-luck...BCB

Lars-K
04-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Seems like there is a new Data upgrade from march 2015. Anybody knows what new powders that are added?

dragon813gt
04-21-2015, 07:53 PM
Is that posted anywhere?

GMT210
04-22-2015, 07:47 AM
New Quickload 3.8 user and I have a question about defining barrel length for revolvers. QL has it defined as breechface to muzzle, which in the case of a revolver would include the cylinder length, however conventional revolver measurement does not include cylinder length.

So should my 45 Colt 5.5" Blackhawk be listed as a 5.5" or 7.125" barrel length?

GMT

Lars-K
04-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Is that posted anywhere?

Yes, found the info here:
If you have 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5,3.6 CD versions, you can purchase a new data update that will update data and add new powders, cartridges and bullets to your existing version. This brings your data up to a date point of March 2015

Link: http://quickload.co.uk/products/quickload-new-data-update-if-you-have-3-0-3-1-3-2-3-3-3-4-3-5-cd-versions-you-can-purchase-a-new-data-update-that-will-update-data-and-add-new-powders-cartridges-and-bullets-to-your-existing-version

BCB
04-22-2015, 10:45 AM
New Quickload 3.8 user and I have a question about defining barrel length for revolvers. QL has it defined as breechface to muzzle, which in the case of a revolver would include the cylinder length, however conventional revolver measurement does not include cylinder length.

So should my 45 Colt 5.5" Blackhawk be listed as a 5.5" or 7.125" barrel length?

GMT

According to the manual, you would go from the breech face because the program subtracts the length of the loaded cartridge. So, the boolit is actually traveling more than the actual length of the barrel...

Good-luck...BCB

BCB
04-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Yes, found the info here:

Link: http://quickload.co.uk/products/quickload-new-data-update-if-you-have-3-0-3-1-3-2-3-3-3-4-3-5-cd-versions-you-can-purchase-a-new-data-update-that-will-update-data-and-add-new-powders-cartridges-and-bullets-to-your-existing-version

Yep, I purchased my QuickLoad program several months ago and it is V.3.8...

Good-luck...BCB

dragon813gt
04-22-2015, 02:37 PM
I even read that multiple times but skipped over it multiple times :laugh:

khmer6
04-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Strange. Euro version is 3.6. Us version is 3.8 with last updated Jan 2014 I think.

Expat74
04-23-2015, 02:04 AM
Strange. Euro version is 3.6. Us version is 3.8 with last updated Jan 2014 I think.
I have version 3.8 and I am in Europe

Lars-K
04-23-2015, 02:33 PM
It depends on update of the website. Neconos was still advertising v3.6 several months after v3.8 was released. And, well the web page seems to be from the late 90's... The fastest sites advertising updates is often Finnland and UK. (UK has v3.8 on their site, and it's been there a long time.)

xacex
04-24-2015, 01:06 AM
So, what would a person set the "friction proofed" setting to for powder coated boolits. I notice there is a velocity increase from what is shown only with the same loads that are now powder coated. Should I just leave it at .66 the same as a moly coated boolit?

xacex
04-24-2015, 01:21 AM
My version is: QuickLOAD©V.3.8/DLL: 1.00. I just got it very recently…

Mine has CFE-223 but no Alliant 300-MP…

I wish it had 300-MP also…

Good-luck…BCB
There is not much data on 300 MP yet. I have a pound of it waiting for something to pop up that I want to try. To bad it did not make the cut on the new version.

AKbushman49
05-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Just a Question- Is there a way to reset the default temperature? I can change it for each powder load workup, but the default is set to 70*F. Been through the manual and couldn't find a procedure other than changing the charge data for each different powder and load workup. Don't do any shooting at 70*F. If we hit 70*F it's sombrero, and cervesa time. LOL
Bushman

r1kk1
07-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Just got mine to work up some loads for various wildcats and my 500 Linebaugh using 310 gr cast bullets and 4227 powder.

steep learning curve. Should be a college class.

take care

r1kk1

bolster55
07-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Hi All,
In Quickload could a smarter person than me explain from Quickload "Barrel time, 10% Pmax to Muzzle" in the manual it states, Time between instant chamber pressure first reaches 10% of Pmax(maximum pressure) and the instant bullet base passes muzzle?

Cheers

Tom Myers
07-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Hi All,
In Quickload could a smarter person than me explain from Quickload "Barrel time, 10% Pmax to Muzzle" in the manual it states, Time between instant chamber pressure first reaches 10% of Pmax(maximum pressure) and the instant bullet base passes muzzle?

Cheers

The manual just about explains barrel time as good as can be explained but let us break it down a little.

Although I have a fair knowledge of External ballistics, my knowledge of Internal ballistics needs more study. For what it is worth, this is my understanding of the barrel time feature.

We can use the calculations for a 20 inch 30-30 barrel, firing a 170 grain Ranch Dog bullet ahead of 25.3 grains of IMR 4895.

The bullet exits the muzzle with a velocity of 1,602 feet per second and the maximum pressure of the burning powder in the barrel reaches 16,282 pounds per square inch.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/QuickLoad%20images/calculations.jpg

Time is measured in milliseconds or one seecond divided by one thousand ( 1 / 1,000 )
The barrel time chart shows that the maximum pressure is reached in approximately 6.6 milliseconds.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/QuickLoad%20images/barrel%20timechart.jpg

Now, if you closely examine the barrel time chart, you will notice that the pressure trace line does not start at zero. The trace line starts when 10% of the MAXIMUM PRESSURE is reached (Approximately 162 psi) and ends when the bullet exits the muzzle.

The Barrel Time or the elapsed time from the 10% max pressure point to the muzzle is 1.86 milliseconds.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/QuickLoad%20images/10pctmax.jpg

As I mentioned before, I am no expert on internal ballistics calculations or measurements, I can only assume that the very begining of the combustion process is difficult to measure or calculate so an arbitrary 10% of max pressure is used as a comparison point for all measurements and calculations.

So, for whatever reasons, all of QuickLoads Barrel time measurents start at 10% of the maximum pressure.

One of the reasons that it is desirable to be able to calculate the bullet barrel time is that the speed of sound or the shock wave in a barrel is constant. The barrel vibration at the muzzle has a direct effect on the direction of travel imparted to the bullet as it leaves the muzzle which in turn determines accuracy and group size. If good grouping is attained at a certian barrel time dwell then one might assume that another load that produces the same barrel time dwell might also produce good groups.

There are more considerations concerning the time in milleseconds between the extremes of the muzzle deflection time and direction as related to barrel length that may be measured and calculated.

Hope this helps.

shooting1
08-01-2015, 01:53 PM
AKbushman49 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?32319-AKbushman49)
Don't know if you ever got your answer but check www.6mmbr/Quickload.html for some tips and tricks
temp result included
http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/i/Tech%20Diagrams/QuickLoad_CustomizeGIF.gif

1. Temperature: The default load temperature in QuickLOAD is 70° Fahrenheit. You'll want to raise this temp value for summer shooting. At the upper right hand corner of the powder window, just to the left of "Selected Propellant" there is a small icon of a hand holding a pencil. Click on that and a thermometer icon appears. Click the thermometer and a dialog box appears that lets you change the default temp. We suggest you input the highest temp at which you'll be shooting during the day.

264 Win Mag
08-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Just incase anybody was wondering, Quickload seems to work just fine on Windows 10. I forgot to check comparability of my installed programs prior to the upgrade but after checking seems to be ok. Anybody seeing any issues?

Thomas

dragon813gt
08-07-2015, 10:06 AM
It runs fine on 8 so I doubt there will be any issues w/ 10. Now if we could just get an update w/ the newer powders.

264 Win Mag
08-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Good to hear. And I fully agree about the new powders. I bought three pounds of IMR4451 and would love to run it through Quickload.

Thomas

BCB
08-09-2015, 09:03 AM
In the Quick Target program when I enter the impact points for a specific distance then have it do the calculations as to how many clicks to move the crosshairs to get a particular zero, windage data I enter is wrong on the calculation results…

It seems to be off by 0.4”. Example: I enter that bullet impact is 1.0” to the right. When I do the calculation it shows impact as 0.6” to the right. My present windage impact point is 0.8” to the right. To get that number to be used, I have to enter that impact point as 1.2” to the right…

This has been a problem many time with this program and it is damn annoying…

Any thoughts or help?

Thanks…BCB

AKbushman49
08-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Shooting1- Thanks, I had figured that out. I was hoping for a blanket fix to reset default temperature for all the powders in the database. I just have to remember to change temp setting for each powder I use when working with QuickLoad.
bushman

264 Win Mag
09-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Just checked the NECO website and the version of Quickload listed for sale on the software page now is showing V3.9. Anybody have the newest version and know what powders have been added? I looked at the data update disk and its still showing as version 3.8 with a date of 12 Jan 2014.

Thomas

BCB
09-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Just checked the NECO website and the version of Quickload listed for sale on the software page now is showing V3.9. Anybody have the newest version and know what powders have been added? I looked at the data update disk and its still showing as version 3.8 with a date of 12 Jan 2014.

Thomas

Yep, I'm interested in that one too...

BCB

VintageRifle
09-19-2015, 06:47 PM
From the quickload website info on v3.8 and v3.9.

"The newest version of QuickLOAD is now available. It is Version 3.9. No need to upgrade to 3.9. It only corrects the need to go through the above procedures to install on Windows 10. No new data on 3.9."

264 Win Mag
09-19-2015, 06:50 PM
That's disappointing. I was hoping we were finally going to see some of the new powders listed.

Thomas

BCB
09-19-2015, 06:52 PM
That's disappointing. I was hoping we were finally going to see some of the new powders listed.

Thomas

I agree 100%...

Good-luck...BCB

dragon813gt
09-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Hopefully there is a real update sometime soon. There are a lot of new powders. And w/ people buying whatever they can when they can it seems we all have some of these powders in our cabinets.

camobob
09-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Hi - I'm new to the forum but have been loading for many years. I'm looking for QL burn rate data for WST, searched this and other forums but have come up empty.
Does anybody have the data?

Mike Malat
09-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Hello Camobob. Welcome to the forum. QL Powder burn rate data is via software updates. It's my understanding that the data is derived from laboratory testing in controlled conditions. If you have the latest updates applied to QL then what you see is what you get. At this time WST, WSF data is not available.
Mike

Clark
09-27-2015, 03:17 AM
My QL has not been updated in a year or two.

I am just using IMR-4895 in the QL library and shooting IMR-4166.
The grain sizes are different, but the chrono thinks they are the same.

1) 6.5-06 120 gr Nos Bal tip moly with 50.7 gr IMR-4166 powder 3.34" , Win 30-06 brass, that QL estimates at 3236 fps 65 kpsi using IMR-4895 in the QL library.
9-23-2015 range report:
Chronographs at 3197 fps = 1% error

2) 257 Roberts Ackley Improved 100 gr Nos Bal Tip Moly 2.97" OAL, 47 gr IMR4166
QL predicts 65 kpsi, 3400 fps for IMR4895
chrono 3375 fps = 1% error

camobob
09-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Since I'm new here, I'll ask the stupid question. It seems like a lot of people rely on the chrono results but my main concern is pressure not velocity. The reason I bought QL was to model the peak pressure-vs- curve shape of different powders. QL tells me that all else being equal (case, bullet, OAL, etc) different powders will produce the same velocity with significantly different pressures. My thought is that the powder that produces the desired velocity with the lowest pressure is the safest and easiest on equipment. What confuses me is that I seem to be the only one on this tack....am I missing something?

ascast
09-30-2015, 08:28 PM
you have to be new to ask stupid questions ? so I can ask no more?

marten
10-07-2015, 05:37 AM
The manual just about explains barrel time as good as can be explained but let us break it down a little.

Although I have a fair knowledge of External ballistics, my knowledge of Internal ballistics needs more study. For what it is worth, this is my understanding of the barrel time feature.

We can use the calculations for a 20 inch 30-30 barrel, firing a 170 grain Ranch Dog bullet ahead of 25.3 grains of IMR 4895.

The bullet exits the muzzle with a velocity of 1,602 feet per second and the maximum pressure of the burning powder in the barrel reaches 16,282 pounds per square inch.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/QuickLoad%20images/calculations.jpg

Time is measured in milliseconds or one seecond divided by one million ( 1 / 1,000,00 )
The barrel time chart shows that the maximum pressure is reached in approximately 6.6 milliseconds.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/QuickLoad%20images/barrel%20timechart.jpg

Now, if you closely examine the barrel time chart, you will notice that the pressure trace line does not start at zero. The trace line starts when 10% of the MAXIMUM PRESSURE is reached (Approximately 162 psi) and ends when the bullet exits the muzzle.

The Barrel Time or the elapsed time from the 10% max pressure point to the muzzle is 1.86 milliseconds.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/QuickLoad%20images/10pctmax.jpg

As I mentioned before, I am no expert on internal ballistics calculations or measurements, I can only assume that the very begining of the combustion process is difficult to measure or calculate so an arbitrary 10% of max pressure is used as a comparison point for all measurements and calculations.

So, for whatever reasons, all of QuickLoads Barrel time measurents start at 10% of the maximum pressure.

One of the reasons that it is desirable to be able to calculate the bullet barrel time is that the speed of sound or the shock wave in a barrel is constant. The barrel vibration at the muzzle has a direct effect on the direction of travel imparted to the bullet as it leaves the muzzle which in turn determines accuracy and group size. If good grouping is attained at a certian barrel time dwell then one might assume that another load that produces the same barrel time dwell might also produce good groups.

There are more considerations concerning the time in milleseconds between the extremes of the muzzle deflection time and direction as related to barrel length that may be measured and calculated.

Hope this helps.

1 millisecond is 1 second divided by 1000 not 1000000

Tom Myers
10-07-2015, 07:04 AM
1 millisecond is 1 second divided by 1000 not 1000000

Yikes!!!

Marten,
Thanks for catching my error. It appears that I am a victim of phonetic suggestion. I know that, actually, "milli" denotes one thousand but, when my attention wanders, one million seems to pop up.

I will edit the post to read correctly.

wordsmith
10-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Since I'm new here, I'll ask the stupid question. It seems like a lot of people rely on the chrono results but my main concern is pressure not velocity. The reason I bought QL was to model the peak pressure-vs- curve shape of different powders. QL tells me that all else being equal (case, bullet, OAL, etc) different powders will produce the same velocity with significantly different pressures. My thought is that the powder that produces the desired velocity with the lowest pressure is the safest and easiest on equipment. What confuses me is that I seem to be the only one on this tack....am I missing something?

Camobob - I think you're close, but my opinion is that it's more of an "optimum" pressure versus a lowest pressure. Based on my experience, a calibrated load (meaning real chrono data to dial in the QL burn rate) providing a 96-98% "Amount of Propellent Burnt" is the most efficient way to produce the desired velocity, and will produce best accuracy.

Higher percentages of "Propellent Burnt" indicate too fast a powder and can give you dangerously high pressures to get the top velocity. Lower percentages may or may not get to the desired velocity because the powder is too slow, and while the pressures will likely be lower, so too will the efficiency, accuracy, and cleanliness of the burn ("dirty ammo syndrome").

VintageRifle
10-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Not sure what is included. But there is an data update available now.

QuickLOAD/QuickTARGET DATA UPDATE for V3.0 ,3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 and 3.8

This is a data update disk. It will add the latest available data to your current version of QuickLOAD if you have V3.0 - V3.6 and V3.8.. The data contained is current as of SEP 2015

264 Win Mag
10-08-2015, 09:46 PM
That's what we have been waiting for. Now let the speculation begin regarding which new powders were included!

Thomas

BCB
10-09-2015, 07:01 AM
http://www.neconos.com/item/QuickLOADQuickTARGET-DATA-UPDATE-for-V30-31-32-33-34-35-36-and-38-96

Wish it said what was updated--Or maybe I missed that part...

Guess I will order the update...

Thanks...BCB

VintageRifle
10-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Thought I read someplace it was updated 9/19/2015. However, I cannot find that information now. Did sent and email to the company asking if any new powders have been added.

Update: got a response as to what powders have been added.

Reloader 23 and 26

dragon813gt
10-09-2015, 06:26 PM
So pretty much none of the new powders. There are a lot of them so the update is pretty disappointing.

BCB
10-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Thought I read someplace it was updated 9/19/2015. However, I cannot find that information now. Did sent and email to the company asking if any new powders have been added.

Update: got a response as to what powders have been added.

Reloader 23 and 26

Yea, if that is all there is to it, the price plus shipping is terrible...

Hell, the shipping is 2/3 of the cost of the update...

Hopefully there will be more to it...

Good-luck...BCB