PDA

View Full Version : .44 paper cartridges

Cullen_Bohannon
01-17-2024, 03:08 PM
This is my first run on paper cartridges. I used 30g pyrodex pellets, lubed wad, conical and/or round ball. Made 25 of each. They are in a plastic box and stored bullet/ball down.

How long can I wait to shoot them and not have a issue?

johnsonian09
01-17-2024, 03:14 PM
Store them with a desiccant. And in an airtight baggie/box or both. Last 6mo+ (usually get shot before longer then that)

Without that I’ve had them go bad in little under 2months in my basement in just a cardboard box by itself. The just hardcandle wax ones seem to last longer then softer lube cookies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Bohannon
01-17-2024, 09:01 PM
We have the same last name, not a common name unless you’re in Kansas not common but a fair number. Welcome to the forum.

Cullen_Bohannon
01-18-2024, 10:29 AM
Thank you both.

yeahbub
03-30-2024, 02:33 PM
My paper cartridges are made using perm papers glued with nitrocellulose (miscellaneous smokeless spillage over time) dissolved in a little acetone to the consistency of brushable paint. Nitrocellulose is one of the early plastics and has some resistance to penetration by moisture. After assembling the completed cartridge, I dip them in the melted nitrocellulose, which leaves them resistant to changes in humidity. It also assures complete consumption of the paper, though this is not usually a problem

rodwha
05-25-2024, 06:23 PM
I’ve all too often read of really short life spans with pellets. Why not use another powder type? I’ve made some with rolling papers and both Triple 7 and Olde Eynsford. Black powder doesn’t lose its potency over time. Pretty easy to do, mine aren’t traditional.

Rockindaddy
05-25-2024, 07:16 PM
I’ve all too often read of really short life spans with pellets. Why not use another powder type? I’ve made some with rolling papers and both Triple 7 and Olde Eynsford. Black powder doesn’t lose its potency over time. Pretty easy to do, mine aren’t traditional.

I like your post about soaking your cartridge paper in a slurry of old spilled powder dissolved in acetone. Have saved all the spilled powder over the years into a jug. So this old powder will dissolve into acetone? I make paper cartridges for a Sharps percussion rifle. Would be great to soak my paper in this slurry. I read the post by the yeabub.