PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a Ruger Blackhawk grip frame

Hickok
01-17-2024, 10:52 AM
While my Ruger Stainless.44 Mag Blackhawk 4.6" is away for warranty repairs, I have been thinking about replacing the grip-frame with a new Ruger "Hunter" grip frame or even a Bisley frame.

The stainless Super BH in 4.6" has the XR3-RED as does the standard Blackhawk. I never could stand the Dragoon grip-frame on a .44 magnum as it beat my middle finger to a pulp.

Would like to attempt and fit the longer Super Blackhawk Hunter grip Frame or a Bisley frame to keep my little finger on grip better than the standard Blackhawk which is shorter, more like the Colt SAA or the Colt Navy.

Anyone done this, any info, or trials and tribulations when fitting a new grip-frame"?

Being stainless steel, after fitting and filing, it seems it would be able to polish and shine up with a little work.

I am open to comments!

Thumbcocker
01-17-2024, 12:54 PM
I have done Bisley conversations on a couple of Rugers. It really helps if you are using take off parts. Often there is little to no fitting needed. Here is one that turned out especially well IMHO https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240117/6e2d1ab7a7cb6e1a5917fe213441ebcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hickok
01-17-2024, 01:00 PM
Thumbcocker, really looks great!

I see you use the ever-reliable paper plate target!....I use the same thing for all my shooting, rifles and handguns! Fancy targets cost to much!!!

Thumbcocker
01-17-2024, 01:09 PM
An office supply store will make you a stamp and you can crank them out. That stamp was a gift, I probably would have gone with a square so I could turn it in its side and shoot at a diamond with scoped rifles. Paper targets are mean. They don't care about your feelings and they won't lie for you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gunther
01-17-2024, 01:56 PM
You will need the Bisley hammer and trigger and grips to fit the grip frame. Trigger pull was improved in each case and the grip frame adds weight as well as length.

nicholst55
01-17-2024, 05:31 PM
The Hunter grip frame is identical to the Super Blackhawk Dragoon grip frame except for the rounded trigger guard. Any steel or stainless grip frame that your buy from Ruger will be in as-cast condition, and will require a lot of work to fit to the cylinder frame. That's regardless of model - plowhandle, Bisley, Super, or Hunter. Well, I'm actually not sure about the Hunter; the rest of them will need a great deal of work, though. If your budget allows it, take a look at Ronnie Wells' grip frames; he offers them in brass and aluminum, and he has a million different styles! They require minor fitting and factory grips won't fit. Ronnie sells rough-fitted grips, or he can fit the frame to your gun and grips for a nominal fee.

https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstores.com/

Here's an unfitted Bisley grip frame - one of the cleaner ones that I've seen: https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/handgun-parts/handgun-frames-parts/grip-frame-steel-in-the-white/

contender1
01-17-2024, 11:23 PM
First,, the good news. All of the Ruger SA handguns use the exact same 5 screw hole pattern. So,,, no matter which shape you prefer,, it'll screw right on. Just make sure you get a New Model grip frame for your gun. (The OM's use a different trigger return spring assy.)

Now,, as noted above,, look hard at the Ronnie Wells grip frames. I really like the "Bradshaw Bisley" shape. And if you go with any Bisley shape,, remember,, they also need a Bisley hammer & trigger.

DougGuy
01-18-2024, 12:19 AM
The "ears" on the back of the Bisley frame have a different angle than the earlier plowshare guns, the ears are higher on the Bisley model so the fitment is perfect. Later, as far as I know, Ruger standardized the angle of the top of the ears on all of the frames.

Fitting a Bisley grip frame to an older BH or SBH with the more dropped ears won't be a fun experience and there is no practical way to avoid the mismatch showing in the final assembly. You can sorta file them and make them fit but it won't be a smooth curve like the Bisley from the factory.

Edit: Went and found some pics I used in a 10yr old post illustrating the differences i mentioned earlier as I too wanted to convert my SBH to the Bisley grip:

322310 322314

As Thumbcocker mentioned it is much easier to use take-offs instead of fitting one from scratch, the Bisley grip frame in the left photo is a new Ruger supplied casting for the resale market.

Bazoo
01-18-2024, 05:07 PM
I've fitted a stainless grip frame to a Blackhawk. It took me probably 8 hours, over several days. I always paused when I started getting tired or bored. I installed it with 2 screws, checked it, remove, file, repeat until close. I started using all 5 screws when I got close and switched to sandpaper on a paint stick backer for the final bit. The ears were the hardest part for me because you have to file or sand them without gouging into the grip strap.

I used masking tape to as soft protection on places I didn't want filed.

It messes your screw slots up some installing them 100 times even with the correct screw driver.

https://i.postimg.cc/xdJkR5FY/B2-ECB96-A-809-A-40-A3-B96-E-1527-D4559382.jpg

contender1
01-18-2024, 10:42 PM
I bought a set of assembly/disassembly special screws that can be used in a normal screwdriver bit holder. Best thing for doing a lot of removal & installing a grip frame.
Sadly,, that place no longer sells them. But any good machinist can make them from blanks. I'll see if I can find a picture.

M-Tecs
01-18-2024, 11:16 PM
I bought a set of assembly/disassembly special screws that can be used in a normal screwdriver bit holder. Best thing for doing a lot of removal & installing a grip frame.
Sadly,, that place no longer sells them. But any good machinist can make them from blanks. I'll see if I can find a picture.

I've made them for myself out of hex stock. I was not aware someone was making them for Ruger grip frames.

Are they a smaller version of stockmakers screws?

https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/stockmakers-hand-screws/

Hickok
01-19-2024, 10:20 AM
You guys are the best! Thank all you for your experience.

I am really looking to the Super BlackHawk "Hunter" grip frame, as it is has the longer grip and not the finger-busting square trigger guard of the standard super BH. Midway has them in unfinished stainless steel.

My real concern was about how much work/fitting was needed for the Semi-finished grip-frame to simply "bolt-up/screw to" the Blackhawk main frame, if any.

As far as cosmetic contouring, filing, buffing, and polishing the outside of the frame to meld with the BH frame, I am not too concerned.

Any advice is welcomed.

contender1
01-19-2024, 10:37 AM
M-Tecs,, yes,, very similar to that, except w/o a T-handle,, and using hex stock. The set I have is a 5 piece set to be used with all Ruger SA's, both Old Models & New Models.
I found my pictures,, in my camera. I've got to see if I can transfer them to the computer.

Here they are;

https://i.postimg.cc/q7XS42QP/Ruger-frame-screws-2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/t1J2zZKk)[

I did decide to round the edges of the hex portion to avoid the potential of the shoulders of them accidentally rubbing the edges of the grip frames etc.

Arthur Roy
01-21-2024, 07:23 PM
I have always liked the Hunter grip frame. One of my favorites was a 4.62” SS 45 Colt that I fitted one to. It is a pretty straight forward thing if a guy is handy with tools.