PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks stuck in the neck of salvaged Cases

Jackaroo
01-16-2024, 01:38 AM
G'day all,

A mate gave me around 400 30-30 cases that someone had passed on to him.

Most have proud primers, unknown powder and measured they are all stretched and need trimming.

They have been reloaded with cast pills and gas checked.

Got my son to kinetec hammer out the pills, most cast pills came out with the gas checks.....though I have around 30-35 that the copper gas check has separated from the pill and is now stuck in the neck with the powder charge and primer still in place.

Any suggestions on how to get these stuck gas checks out?

Bad Ass Wallace
01-16-2024, 01:54 AM
Easy, use small needle nose priers to turn edge on then just yank them out!

poppy42
01-16-2024, 02:55 AM
Yep, that’s how I do it!

Winger Ed.
01-16-2024, 03:06 AM
Sometimes a gentle squeeze of the neck gives enough room for 'em turn sideways and drop out or get ahold of easier.

405grain
01-16-2024, 09:57 AM
I reach in with a small punch and give the check a tap to turn them sideways. Then I grab them with a small pair of needle nose pliers and just pull them out. Even if the punch causes the gas check to fall down inside the case it's easy to pour out the powder, then shake the empty case until the gas check is sideways in the neck, then pull it out.

Ed_Shot
01-16-2024, 10:54 AM

+1 I do the same. Also, like 405grain recomends, if you punch the GC into the case you can dump the powder and then invert the case and grab the GC at the neck with pliers.

MostlyLeverGuns
01-16-2024, 11:15 AM
Same method, push gas check into case, dump powder, pull out sideways with needle nose pliers, salvage everything - primed case, powder, gas check, even the bullet with a little care.

FleeMoss
01-16-2024, 01:27 PM
For some reason I keep forgetting to make up a dummy round when starting on a new bullet. So I have had to pull the ones that don't fit (usually oversized or not seated deep enough). A pair of forceps work well to press the edge of the gas check to tilt it in the neck so that the jaws can then clamp and remove. The forceps with the slight kink in the jaws seem to work best especially for cases with long necks.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

Jackaroo
01-16-2024, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciated.

gwpercle
01-16-2024, 07:31 PM
When you are turning the gas check in the neck sideways ... so you can grab it with needle nose pliers and pull it out ... try NOT to shove it back into the case body ...

But if you do ... shake out all the powder and then hold the case , neck down - primer end up and keep finagling the gas check around with the needle nose pliars until you can grab it and get it sideways and pull it out ... don't try and save the gas checks ... you want the more valuable primed case !
You can reseat the primers and resize the case , sans decapping pin , and have sized and primed brass ready to load .
Gary

Outer Rondacker
01-16-2024, 09:03 PM
When you are turning the gas check in the neck sideways ... so you can grab it with needle nose pliers and pull it out ... try NOT to shove it back into the case body ...

But if you do ... shake out all the powder and then hold the case , neck down - primer end up and keep finagling the gas check around with the needle nose pliars until you can grab it and get it sideways and pull it out ... don't try and save the gas checks ... you want the more valuable primed case !
You can reseat the primers and resize the case , sans decapping pin , and have sized and primed brass ready to load .
Gary
+1 :goodpost:

brstevns
01-16-2024, 09:16 PM
If you have shaken all the powder out and the check has fallen into the case, you can also expand the case neck to the next cal. and it will fall out. Are sometimes expamding the neck with needle nose priers will work as well.