PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye In Stock $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MSD MIke
01-15-2024, 05:48 PM
Woo hoo, lots of Bullseye in stock everywhere you look. Uhhhhh Wait, what, $45-50 a pound. So, is Titegroup my new wadcutter powder?

Mike

Wooserco
01-15-2024, 08:04 PM
Well, at the height of the pandemic, I was able to find a 4 lb. jug of WST. $140.00. It seems like they are trying to price us out of shooting. They can't outlaw it, so they are making it cost prohibitive.

I'd love to find Bullseye at ANY price.

Texas by God
01-15-2024, 10:15 PM
Only if Titegroup is $35 a pound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
01-15-2024, 11:01 PM
Just like when primers jumped from $20. per thousand to 40-45 and powder was in the 'upper' teens-low $20.s

The prices we're seeing now is probably the new normal.

dondiego
01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
I am sitting here looking at two, 4 pound Bullseye canisters.............as I shake them, I am so sad to realize that they are empty! I do have another or 2 though. Don Verna told me to hoard them.

jdgabbard
01-15-2024, 11:43 PM
I don't use much Bullseye, but I still have some in the powder closet. Let me know when Unique and Red Dot are back on shelves...

Rockindaddy
01-16-2024, 12:29 AM
Good day at a local gun show. Found 2000 large CCI pistol primers yesterday for $50/ 1000 The $100/ 1000 primers were not selling. Seems like $80/1000 dealers were moving them. Didn't see much Bullseye though.

Kestrel4k
01-16-2024, 12:45 AM
I have Bullseye in stock; it was only $$ though.

RogerDat
01-16-2024, 01:02 AM
Now if only my 401k would increase in value at the same rate as my powder and primer supply has. Wanted some more 4895 but at last gun show only saw a partial pound at estate sale table for what a full pound went for a few years ago. Guess I will use Varget which it seems is always available.

P Flados
01-16-2024, 01:09 AM
When I was running a cost analysis a short while back I stumbled on an interesting tidbit. I ran a Quickload table with a pistol round where QL determined charges required to get a specific velocity. As I was looking at the results, I noted the Clean Shot and Titegroup were very close on charge required, case fill percentage and chamber pressure. Both Titegroup and Clean Shot are very low in cost per round if you can find them at a good price. Titegroup seemed to be good for availability and reasonable for price a short while back. I have burned several 8# jugs of the stuff and I like it for a number of guns.

Here is a list that shows how I ranked cost for a 200 gr 45 ACP load pushed to 940 fps. Values are $/round. Powder prices were based on a bulk internet order. I did the same analysis for a couple of other cartridges and the relative rankings stayed about the same.

Clean Shot 0.026
Titegroup 0.026
HP-38 0.028
Red Dot 0.030
Zip 0.031
Bullseye 0.036

I went looking to get some Titegroup last week and found that availability was poor and cost was higher than I wanted to pay.

I ended up ordering 4 jugs of Lovex D032 (same as SW Clean Shot) from Jeff Barlett. Had to call in the actual order and Jeff indicated that he is about out of the stuff. The $130 for a 5# jug is not bad, but the total for Hazmat + S&H was on the steep side.

JimB..
01-16-2024, 11:12 AM
I’ve still got a couple 15lb (could be 14 or 16, don’t remember exactly) kegs of Bullseye. Tried to sell some for I think $150 per keg a few years ago and had 2 interested parties and one closed deal, so went from 3 to 2. They are now in my “save for retirement” pile although I can’t imagine shooting it all, it’s taken me years to shoot the first one I opened.

But, I still expect to see retail prices fall some more, and second hand prices to drop sharply if we get another Trump presidency.

nicholst55
01-16-2024, 12:21 PM
Take a look at Midway's powder prices, if you want sticker shock. Old Larry is smoking some good stuff!

mnewcomb59
01-16-2024, 12:48 PM
Midway got super expensive in the last 5-8 years. They always had great prices on ammo and reloading stuff, now they never even show up on ammoseek or other ammo search engines because they mark up stuff 10-20% higher profit than they did 5 years ago. 5-8 years ago they were always having free shipping promos, or 10% off coupons and those also dried up. I don't do much business with them any more. I think Larry was super involved in the business in years past and he now is likely enjoying his golden years and letting bean counters and shareholders run the books.

justindad
01-16-2024, 01:49 PM
I grabbed a pound of Titegroup at Academy Sports a few weeks ago for $33/lb.

jdgabbard
01-16-2024, 02:45 PM
I’ve still got a couple 15lb (could be 14 or 16, don’t remember exactly) kegs of Bullseye. Tried to sell some for I think $150 per keg a few years ago and had 2 interested parties and one closed deal, so went from 3 to 2. They are now in my “save for retirement” pile although I can’t imagine shooting it all, it’s taken me years to shoot the first one I opened.

But, I still expect to see retail prices fall some more, and second hand prices to drop sharply if we get another Trump presidency.

Heck, Jim. I could drive to NC for that price with this market... :bigsmyl2:

fredj338
01-16-2024, 06:05 PM
Never like TG with lead bullets, lubed or PC. Plenty of powder will work as well or better. RedDot is still a sleeper with lead bullets in any caliber. Ramshot Comp, WST, SportPistol, probably 4-5 others I havent tried. Unfortunately this will be the new norm, higher prices. The cost of voting Dem.

BRatigan
01-18-2024, 01:59 PM
I checked out Powder Valleys prices on one of my favorite powders for the 357 Mag rifle, 5744. A week or so ago it was in the mid 50's. Today its $71.00 a pound. I look at this as a gouge or maybe greed and I've been called a communist for thinking this, but they don't really know me. Prices indicated by the major ammo suppliers looked at between 1-7 % increase in ammo and related component prices. Increases between 40 and 50% don't fit their original narrative. Some sites have prices still in the mid 30's to 40's. Midsouth Shooters Supply comes to mind. Hope this blows over some day.

TurnipEaterDown
01-18-2024, 03:03 PM
I think of the higher than expected prices retail as being a way to dampen the speculators -- while I think I should pay $35 or thereabouts for retail (and much of it is approaching that now - where I live), I would much rather pay $60 retail for something scarce I need than pay a speculator $90 for same on an auction when he bought it all up for my desired $35.
To be frank, I passed on the 5744 at $60 per pound last year, but maybe next I won't if I continue to want some.

dverna
01-18-2024, 03:54 PM
I am sitting here looking at two, 4 pound Bullseye canisters.............as I shake them, I am so sad to realize that they are empty! I do have another or 2 though. Don Verna told me to hoard them.

Your welcome!!! LOL

BTW, I got two 4 pounders from my buddy when he exited Bullseye shooting 6-7 years ago. I don't use BE anymore, so if I ever find them, I will PM you. My reloading room is a disaster. He sold me a bunch of Lapua .22 match ammunition and cannot find it either. I need to up my organizing skills.

Shawlerbrook
01-18-2024, 04:06 PM
There was talk on different sites that distributors have been telling retailers to be prepared for a large price increase in 2024. I guess the reason doesn’t change the facts that if you need/want it, you pay the price or go without. Personally, living here behind the blue iron curtain in NYS, I am just glad I can get it when I need it.

Outer Rondacker
01-19-2024, 08:03 AM
There was talk on different sites that distributors have been telling retailers to be prepared for a large price increase in 2024. I guess the reason doesn’t change the facts that if you need/want it, you pay the price or go without. Personally, living here behind the blue iron curtain in NYS, I am just glad I can get it when I need it.

Well said. Oh and no shops around here have any new powder. Ask for Bullseye I dare you. They will laugh at you for the coming days.

JimB..
01-19-2024, 08:53 AM
Heck, Jim. I could drive to NC for that price with this market... :bigsmyl2:

That’d make a heck of a story to tell the grandkids one day, but hold on and it’ll all come back around and prices will drop back into the 30’s. For a while we thought that the new normal for primers was going to be above $75, but they keep coming down, the same will happen with powder.

jdgabbard
01-19-2024, 02:58 PM
That’d make a heck of a story to tell the grandkids one day, but hold on and it’ll all come back around and prices will drop back into the 30’s. For a while we thought that the new normal for primers was going to be above $75, but they keep coming down, the same will happen with powder.

Not in my area. Still the average primer cost is $80/brick.

30calflash
01-19-2024, 03:41 PM
$80+ for primers locally when they have them and mid 30s to over $70 for a pound of powder. Selection has gotten somewhat better but many still not obtainable.

My LGS had some Hodgdon and IMR powder, the IMR wen fast and the H4350 and 4831 sat around awhile but someone scooped it all at $55 a lb.

When it comes to pricing it's not just the maker or seller, its hazmat and shipping. If the get 4 lbs and shipping and hazmat are on only those then it has to be spread over the cost of those items.

Maybe some stores round up/down a little but you have to cover costs and make a little on the transaction

charlie b
01-19-2024, 04:34 PM
I just looked through Powder Valley. Only 4 powders (IMR) were over $60 and some were less than $40. The powders I use haven't changed much in price for several years. Most have decreased from the 'COVID spike' several years ago. Overall I've measured a 50-75% increase in prices since before COVID.

Actually, same with primers when I can find them. CCI BR4 primers are higher, but, before all this they were almost $50/1000. Couple weeks ago I got a brick of Rem 7 1/2BR's for $60/1000 (both from Sportsmans). And, yes, they sell fast but Sportsmans hasn't 'spiked' the price on them.

I just don't see this big spike in prices people are complaining about.

Maybe some smaller LGS or their distributor are the ones doing the gouging.

justindad
01-19-2024, 07:57 PM
Sportsman’s Warehouse had HP-38 for $45/lb. Pass.

Outer Rondacker
01-20-2024, 08:26 AM
Sportsman’s Warehouse had HP-38 for $45/lb. Pass.

Your going to regret that in the future.

charlie b
01-20-2024, 10:08 AM
Yep.

Texas by God
01-20-2024, 10:36 AM
I’m going to make a road trip to Scheels next time I need powder(or sooner).
I was impressed by Shooters World(Lovex)Match and AR Plus powders at $28/lb that I tried out this past year.

justindad
01-20-2024, 01:25 PM
If HP-38 is $45/lb, I’d rather pay the $52/lb for VV powders. As it is, I have powder & primers to last me a decade.