PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Deerstalker

cwtebay
01-14-2024, 09:00 PM
I acquired a 54 caliber flintlock that apparently had a load stuck in it. I retrieved that ball and have cleaned it up. Still feeling something at the end of my ball puller that is spongy feeling. Can't seem to gain any purchase into it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

SquibCity
01-14-2024, 09:54 PM
its probably a patch and or a shot card of some type between ball and powder. a threaded ball puller should get it out.

cwtebay
01-14-2024, 10:50 PM
I ran my endoscope down and see nothing after cleaning the bore. I reloaded with 2F Swiss and a paper towel bullet, primed with 3 F and nothing. I repeated the priming process x5.
Planning on running torch tip cleaners through the flash hole. What size would I start with?

Chill Wills
01-15-2024, 05:51 PM
Pull the breach plug? See what is or is not there. Then Clean.

Lead pot
01-15-2024, 06:05 PM
If the patch and powder did not come out after pulling the ball it most likely is still down there like squipcity said.
If your bore scope is long enough to reach the flash hole you should be able to see it. Run a worm down the bore and see if you can hook the patch.
Running a torch tip cleaner through the flash hole, I would not use it because you don't want to make it larger. A vent pick is soft or a paper clip.
Best to pull the breach plug if you can but if they installed the plug without putting some anti freeze on the threads it's mostlikeley rusted in tight.

Wayne Smith
01-16-2024, 10:21 AM
My ball puller looks like a wood screw, my patch puller looks like a round piece of metal with two bent wires coming off of it. Do you have a patch puller?

Kenny Wasserburger
01-16-2024, 05:25 PM
Since when did this become a muzzle loading forum…? I must of missed something.

KW

cwtebay
01-16-2024, 05:50 PM
Since when did this become a muzzle loading forum…? I must of missed something.

KWApologies - I was thinking that I had posted this in the blackpowder and muzzleloader forum.

ShooterAZ
01-16-2024, 06:35 PM
I moved it to muzzleloading for ya.