PDA

View Full Version : "carbine" Williams, a home shop gunsmithing genius

farmbif
01-13-2024, 07:29 PM
came across this and thought others here might appreciate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWEHmQeKMxI

georgerkahn
01-14-2024, 03:04 PM
Thank you! for posting this! I had heard mixed "reports" on Mr. Williams, specially I was told that albeit his brilliance enabled such as the U S M1 Carbine, he was not a happy camper at the end of its development and excused himself, so to speak, from its completion. And, of course his youth. This video is, imho, so good that I have book-marked it to watch again! On subject of "again" :) -- a repeat Thank You!
gep

nekshot
01-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Thank you for this info. It is amazing what a person ca accomplish out of vision for an idea!

waksupi
01-15-2024, 01:07 PM
I recall a movie about him, I think it starred Jimmy Stewart, and the development of the gun while Williams was in a southern prison.

georgerkahn
01-15-2024, 02:44 PM
I recall a movie about him, I think it starred Jimmy Stewart, and the development of the gun while Williams was in a southern prison.

YES, imndeed, with my recollection that the film was more on "Hollywood Entertainment" than pure facts. (Not that there were any un-truths ;)). Here's a pic of VHS movie of the movie you reference.322211

Texas by God
01-15-2024, 02:52 PM
The “carbine” that he built in prison looked suspiciously like a shortened Remington model 8 if I’m remembering correctly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyer898
05-07-2024, 05:21 PM
I saw that movie more than 50 years ago - time to watch it again. No movie starring Jimmie Stewart is a waste of time. He was the real deal.

deltaenterprizes
05-08-2024, 04:15 PM
The video is really good and I’m glad I watched a while back!

schutzen-jager
05-08-2024, 04:33 PM
The “carbine” that he built in prison looked suspiciously like a shortened Remington model 8 if I’m remembering correctly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
correct about resemblance + barrel was from a tractor axle -

Shawlerbrook
05-08-2024, 05:49 PM
Entertaining movie . Another good Stewart flick is Winchester’73.

beemer
05-09-2024, 09:52 AM
Carbine Williams shop was moved and set up in the NC Museum of History. Haven't been there for a while, need to take another trip and visit.

jdgabbard
05-09-2024, 09:58 AM
Watched a video a while back, I believe by Ian at Future Weapons, who discussed Carbine Williams at length dispelling much of what he is praised to have done. Apparently he actually had very little to do with the development of the M1 Carbine, and so difficult to work with (kind of a know it all from how I interpreted it) that people essentially refused to work with him. Basically, 90% of him was hype, and the rest of mediocre...

Electrod47
05-09-2024, 10:17 AM
Watched a video a while back, I believe by Ian at Future Weapons, who discussed Carbine Williams at length dispelling much of what he is praised to have done. Apparently he actually had very little to do with the development of the M1 Carbine, and so difficult to work with (kind of a know it all from how I interpreted it) that people essentially refused to work with him. Basically, 90% of him was hype, and the rest of mediocre...

“When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.” This line from the film "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."