PDA

View Full Version : Primer pocket cleaner????

slim1836
01-12-2024, 03:32 AM
I had a senior moment and thought "What if"?

So, I found my old pneumatic spark plug holder and wanted to see if a shell holder might fit in the spark plug hole. It fits quite nicely. Now if someone who has more time than I can just figure what media might work best, it might speed up one step in case prep. I think the fine sand currently in it is too abrasive not to mention too dirty, kind of tried it and the base turned dull.

Slim

Shawlerbrook
01-12-2024, 07:36 AM
Interesting idea.

greybuff
01-12-2024, 09:52 AM
Glass beads for sandblasting maybe?

Froogal
01-12-2024, 09:56 AM
I use a Dremel tool, with a brass pencil brush.

psychodad
01-12-2024, 10:01 AM
You might try walnut too. It won't cut as well as glass beads but may leave a more polished surface, if you're looking for bling.

racepres
01-12-2024, 10:02 AM
And here I am using the old Lee hand tool...I cannot imagine a Faster, more Efficient method...

Dusty Bannister
01-12-2024, 10:15 AM
Replacement brush for the primer pocket cleaner, chucked in a cordless drill run at low speed. Spark plug cleaner is going to put a lot of dust into the air.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/case-prep/primer-pocket-prep/pocket-brushes

G W Wade
01-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Don't remember where I stole this idea. Take a short length of 10 ga wire or what ever you have handy. Stip the plastic cover back about 1/4 in to expose the wire strands. When dull, just trim the end and go back to work. GW

01-12-2024, 11:08 AM
I use an Allen wrench or the preferred small flat bladed screw driver. if I am really in a cleaning mood, I use the screw driver, soak in the dawn / semi-shine solution followed by a q-tip. I am intrigued by the spark plug thing. always more than one way to skin the cat.

dsh1106
01-12-2024, 04:25 PM
baking soda

georgerkahn
01-12-2024, 05:48 PM
I had a senior moment and thought "What if"?

So, I found my old pneumatic spark plug holder and wanted to see if a shell holder might fit in the spark plug hole. It fits quite nicely. Now if someone who has more time than I can just figure what media might work best, it might speed up one step in case prep. I think the fine sand currently in it is too abrasive not to mention too dirty, kind of tried it and the base turned dull.

Slim

I have the identical spark plug cleaner -- I "needed it" when I had a few outboard motors which seemed to foul plugs (lonnng-time slow speed trolling) -- and, for them/this purpose it worked quite well. I racked what remains of my brain cells for a bit, and I, too, cannot think of a medium which would make an easier job than the methods suggested by other posters (rather than answer your query ;)). For small batches I use a hand-held little tool called a "Crocogater" which was made just for primer pocket cleaning; if I have many cases, I have a tool made by Sinclair -- 8-32 thread -- which I have on my Unimat: while it is running, just insert shell, primer pocket first. HOWEVER -- since I discovered wet tumbling, and with primer removed before tumbling -- YES -- I do :( get the occasional pin wedged in the flashhole, and some do require a bit of fiddling to remove them -- but, wagering a number guess not too far off, I'd say the wet pin tumbling does ~98% for me!
geo

Wooserco
01-12-2024, 06:34 PM
baking soda

this!

popper
01-12-2024, 07:47 PM
Somebody actually cleans plugs anymore? Thought they stopped that in the 80s due to engine contamination (and cleaner burning engines).

slim1836
01-12-2024, 08:23 PM
I wet tumble also and that takes care of my needs, I'm not in need of anything else for my primer pockets. Just wanted to share what I noticed messing around.

I had some glass beads used by highway striping crews but could not find them, guess they got tossed. I think I can obtain some more but it may take a while. I'll have to figure out a containment system for the beads that get through the shell holder and primer pocket hole as it may get a bit messy.

Slim

Baltimoreed
01-12-2024, 08:25 PM
Waste of time. Never cleaned primer pockets. Never had an issue. I clean my brass after every match or when I have enough odds and ends to fill my brass tumbler. Maybe if I were shooting black powder.

kevin c
01-13-2024, 03:40 AM
I don’t think it’s worthwhile, but I load auto pistol cartridges where two inches at 25 yards is as much as I need.

To those who do it, does it make a difference?

01-13-2024, 07:06 AM
I'd think it makes for a more uniformed seating depth for the primers. the carbon is dimensional and since two matters can not occupy the same space, at the same time - it makes a difference. can you make 'em go bang without the effort? Sure. ever get a high primer?

racepres
01-13-2024, 09:16 AM
Somebody actually cleans plugs anymore? Thought they stopped that in the 80s due to engine contamination (and cleaner burning engines).

Actually...Performance Gurus quit because it was Learned that spark plugs work the Very Best when Sharp edges are present at the Electrodes..and Blasting removes those edges...
Aside, the main reason for Exotic Metal Plugs...is Less Erosion of the Electrodes...hence sharper for Longer... even if they are Not as efficient at giving up electrodes...
IMA slink back off now!!!

hawkeye1
01-13-2024, 09:26 AM
This is a small motor with a drill chuck attached to the shaft that I found in a box of loose stuff I got at an auction. Just attached a Lee hand primer pocket cleaner. Just a touch to each primer pocket is all it takes. Does it really matter? Prolly not, but it sits on my bench so I use it, only takes a second per case. And it gives me one last opportunity to visual each case before installing primer.

georgerkahn
01-13-2024, 10:50 AM

For 2 and 3hp Evinrude outboard motor plugs it was almost a necessity! Yes, to run at full rpm was no problem, but -- when trolling at low rpm for an extended period the plugs, when pulled, were jet black and one could sometimes not even see a gap! I first used a brass brush complemented with plug-soak in gasoline, and then saw the plug cleaner I need but plug into my stationary air compressor. It worked marvelously! I heard the warnings re this doing engine damage thereafter, so I washed them in lacquer thinner after blast cleaning. I reckon if one had them on for a long time the metal might get rounded, but my regiment was but FIVE seconds. That's all it took! At the cost of plugs -- this was quite a good solution!
geo

slim1836
01-13-2024, 12:10 PM
I've used mine for lawn mowers, weed eaters, and leaf blowers over the years. Not so much on vehicles anymore.

This experiment with brass will continue once I find some glass beads at some point. I'm not anal about it as my wet tumbling takes care of most of my issues, just was (and still am) curious as the shell holders fit the device.

Slim

kevin c
01-13-2024, 02:31 PM
I'd think it makes for a more uniformed seating depth for the primers. the carbon is dimensional and since two matters can not occupy the same space, at the same time - it makes a difference. can you make 'em go bang without the effort? Sure. ever get a high primer?

I mostly use once or twice fired pistol brass where there really isn’t much primer pocket residue, so, no. The only high primers I’ve ever had were caused by the press frame being cracked.

gloob
01-21-2024, 04:13 PM
I've never left a primer high, but I'm not dead yet. Many headstamps leave the primer seated lower than I like to see.

I wonder how many times I have to reload a case without cleaning the pocket before the crud makes it seat high? And if it finally happens, can't I just clean the primer pocket once and then reload that case for another 30 years?

deces
01-21-2024, 04:16 PM
I would use a garnet media for something like that.

slim1836
01-21-2024, 04:32 PM
Baking soda was mentioned a couple of times and I plan on trying this.

I'm going to wait until this cold snap breaks.

Slim

YoungGun88
01-21-2024, 06:08 PM
With the baking soda, be mindful of it caking with too much moisture. Anti-caking agents such as silicon dioxide(commonly used in food production) or even diatomaceous earth can be added in to minimize clumping :-).

wilecoyote
01-21-2024, 07:54 PM
drill-mounted Sinclair primer pocket uniformer_ large or small on new cases, o.c., but again after any shooting, before tossing any rifle case in the cleaning solution_ (ultrasonic washer, in my case)_

M-Tecs
01-21-2024, 08:39 PM
If you are going thru that much work why not uniform them?

wilecoyote
01-21-2024, 09:46 PM
o.c.: I do it after any shooting session, because the pocket not only can accumulate crud, but it can also become shallower, so every time with the same step I eliminate residues, if any, and keep the pocket at the same depth_

country gent
01-21-2024, 11:09 PM
I believe the glass beads may be to aggressive rounding the edge of the flash hole and a very matte finish stretching the pockets surface. I would try baking soda. Maybe very fine corn cobs.

In the food industry when we had to blast in the production area it was rice. But here rice would plug flash holes badly.

Baking soda is used to blast soft materials like aluminum and fiberglass. The issue will be controlling dust and contaminates same with the glass beads, controlling the contaminated dust will be hard.

What just popped into my mind was a dental water pic.

I uniform my match ammo primer pockets not so much for depth but to get a truly flat square seat for the anvil. This may damage that surface.

slim1836
01-22-2024, 02:00 AM
Well, I did put some baking soda in my spark plug cleaner bag this evening. Hoping to try it out tomorrow, however, I have no regulator on my air tank so I have no idea what pressure might be ideal for the application. Just playing folks, y'all lighten up and have some fun.

Now to find a waterpix... :redneck:

Slim

wilecoyote
01-22-2024, 09:12 AM
...I uniform my match ammo primer pockets not so much for depth but to get a truly flat square seat for the anvil. This may damage that surface.

...fully agree.
the rest are my fringe benefits_

slim1836
01-22-2024, 09:42 PM
The baking soda did not do as well as I had hoped, however, I could not find (at the moment) a filthy primer pocket to test with. I will look for one when I can. I used a case that was previously washed but had some dark areas that I tried to clean off, which did not happen. The pressure on the tank was at "shut off" pressure, whatever that is, but probably around 80-110 psi. I'll try glass beads if I can find some.

Still playing but somebody try a waterpix, please.

Slim

elmacgyver0
01-22-2024, 10:07 PM
Just wet clean with pins, brass like new.

45DUDE
01-22-2024, 10:12 PM
Sugar sand @50 lb.

jss227
01-23-2024, 05:01 PM
I just decap and throw in an ultrasonic cleaner, works for me.

WILCO
01-23-2024, 10:35 PM
Interesting idea.

Yes. Good to know. :)

Duckiller
01-24-2024, 03:30 AM
When I first started reloading dirty primer pockets didn't let me properly seat primers. Primers in my Ruger were too high and cylinder wouldn't rotate. Ever since I have cleaned primer pockets. I have used "crickets" both large and small but small flat blade screwdrivers seem to work the best. While cleaning I also inspect the brass. This has worked for me for about 50 years.

PhilC
01-24-2024, 11:19 AM
o.c.: I do it after any shooting session, because the pocket not only can accumulate crud, but it can also become shallower, so every time with the same step I eliminate residues, if any, and keep the pocket at the same depth_
I've used the Sinclair tool for decades on all rifle brass every time, chucked in a cordless drill it's simple and quick.

TNsailorman
01-24-2024, 02:32 PM
Yep, the same here PhilC. A Sinclair tool every time. Cleans and uniforms at the same time and using a fixed electric hand drill it is fast. Been doing it this way for over 30 years. james

Freischütz
01-24-2024, 03:08 PM
Agree with racepres. The Lee hand held tool does a decent job, is quick, and is inexpensive.

HumptyDumpty
01-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Heck, I don't bother cleaning primer pockets unless/until it becomes difficult to sat new primers flush.

slim1836
01-24-2024, 06:24 PM
I tried using the spark plug cleaner with a .308 and .45 cartridge using baking soda and while it did work somewhat it did not clean as well as wet tumbling using Dawn and steel pins. And yes, there was a small mess with escaping powder. I like alternatives but this isn't one I'm going to embrace. :-(

I'll put this on the back burner until I get some glass beads and try again.

Slim

Rapier
01-25-2024, 09:49 AM
With the new reloading room, I have a bit more bench space, so have a case prep area, trimmers, neck turner, RCBS case prep center, so I toss fired brass in Big Blue and just move it down the line, found that using a primer pocket uniformed/cutter is easier than worrying with brushes. The cutter just cleans the primer pockets completely, every time and it is motorized in the case prep center. With both primer sizes, plus an inside and outside chamfer set, both ends of the case get setup. The main trimmer is an RCBS motorized pro trim wth 3 way cutter heads.

kerplode
01-25-2024, 12:48 PM
Just wet clean with pins, brass like new.

Yeah, this. SPOTLESS brass, inside and out, with nearly zero effort.

Electrod47
01-25-2024, 12:50 PM
I just use that finger twirler "thingamajiger". Its a time to relax and examine my brass and contemplate the secrets of the universe.

hartwickco
01-27-2024, 10:50 AM

I'm on board with this -- having that perfectly uniform depth for primer seating does ensure that you never have a wonky primer. For me, it's more about making sure the contact side of the primer is exactly as it should be, since the business end of it is going to work just fine either way.

marlinman93
01-27-2024, 12:34 PM
I honestly have never spent much time on primer pockets in nearly 50 years of reloading ammo. And never noticed any issues, or deviations, spreads in the ammo I've loaded. I run my brass through a couple wet tumblers I use and pockets are clean enough to not make me want to waste more time.