PDA

View Full Version : Kimber K6S Cylinder Lock-Up Root Cause

justindad
01-08-2024, 11:28 PM
I have a 3” DAO Kimber K6S and I have experienced the cylinder lock up twice, each after about 400 rounds were fired over the course of a year.
The first time I had the cylinder lock up, I was firing 158 grain boolits over a max charge of AA#9. The recoil was heavier than max charges of HS-6 and Enforcer, and the velocity was greater as well. I took the gun apart and found that the factory assembled the gun with a white grease which had since dried up completely. I figured the dried paste could cause the clock work to lock up, so I cleaned it out and went on with life. The gun worked great and the trigger was smoother than ever.
The second time the gun locked up I was shooting 180 grain boolits with HS-6 and Enforcer, both just a tad over starting charge. Velocities confirmed the charges were relatively light, but the recoil was stiffer than anything I shot in this gun before. My hand didn’t hurt, it was more of a numbing sensation. That recoil was hitting hard with wooden grips. So I took the gun apart again. The clockwork had powder and maybe metal dust debris inside (the gun is still breaking in). I am ~25% done cleaning it and I think I found the real reason why the cylinder locks up: if the cylinder is just a bit further forward and if the pin on the back of the cylinder is a bit more eccentric to the cylinder release pin, then the trigger acts as if the cylinder is wide open, forbidding trigger movement.
The pin circled here is what I called the “cylinder release pin” above. When you push the cylinder release door, this pin pushes into the spring-loaded cylinder pin, allowing you to open the cylinder.
Here you can see an arm attached to the trigger, which cannot raise up when the cylinder is open. Here the trigger is locked, and I believe the trigger arm hits this same cylinder lock when the dreaded cylinder lock-up occurs.
Here we can see that the cylinder pin pushes the cylinder release pin into the frame by 0.098”.
Here we can see that 0.098” does not push the cylinder release pin in very far. To put it in a simple way, I’ll say that the cylinder release pin should move somewhere closer to 0.15” in order to maintain adequate clearance between these two parts during the firing sequence.
Here I am using a nylon pick to show the cylinder lock moved away from the trigger arm, as is the case when the gun is assembled and the cylinder is closed.
Here we can see that the cylinder release pin has a lot of clearance with the hole in the frame. Note that the cylinder pin has a ball end, so when these two are eccentric the cylinder pin does not push the cylinder release pin as far into the frame as it does when the two are concentric. I imagine heavy recoil could force the eccentricity into a maximum condition.
So what can Kimber do to fix this cylinder lock up?
1) Make a tighter fit between the cylinder release pin and the frame, so that the cylinder pin and the cylinder release pin are held concentric to one another. They could add a bushing, just like the firing pin has a bushing. This would have the added benefit of making it more difficult for debris to enter the clockwork chamber.
2) Add a chamfer to the upper/rear corner of the trigger arm. This would provide more clearance with the cylinder lock, in a way that is much better than the 0.15” extension I mentioned above (which was just for illustration).
3) Make it feasible for customers to clean the spring loaded pin inside the cylinder. If it gets too dirty in there, the pin can get stuck inside the cylinder.
4) Don’t assemble revolvers at the factory with grease in the clockwork.

justindad
01-08-2024, 11:31 PM
I will add that when the cylinder locks up, there is no early warning and it is firmly locked. If this happens in a self defense situation, all you will have in your hand is a small brick. Therefore, I cannot recommend the Kimber K6S as a self defense weapon.

justindad
01-08-2024, 11:49 PM
One more note: I called Kimber customer service once, asking what ammo they tested with this gun. They told me 158 grain SAAMI ammunition. He specifically stated that the gun was not tested with 180 grain bullets at all.

rintinglen
01-09-2024, 02:37 PM
I misdoubt that the ammunition choice has ought to do with the lock up. It appears to me after comparing your photo with those of others I found on line that the cylinder pin does not move the cylinder release sufficiently to assure that the hand has sufficient clearance to freely enter the slot to rotate the cylinder. I suspect that because it is so short, the least little bit of dirt or dried grease can cause cylinder release to block the hand, effectively jamming the action until it can be cleaned. I would contact Kimber and request a longer cylinder pin, then I would carefully stone and polish it to provide a proper clearance.

justindad
01-14-2024, 11:08 PM
I would contact Kimber and request a longer cylinder pin, then I would carefully stone and polish it to provide a proper clearance.
One Customer Service guy at Kimber said they won’t send me any parts, not even just side plate screws, and I had to send them the gun. Another Customer Service guy said he could only send me parts if I gave him the serial number, and then they would void my warranty for having removed the side plate.

justindad
01-14-2024, 11:29 PM
I took another look at the gun to see if my first thoughts were wrong. I read the Revolvers 101 sticky, and noticed that I could make the cylinder strike the barrel while closing the cylinder. I also noticed that the trigger hand pushes the cylinder towards the barrel while cycling the trigger. The hand is close to the cylinder’s rotational axis and the barrel is much further, giving friction at the barrel a mechanical advantage over the force of the hand. If I place feeler gauges between the cylinder and barrel, the friction will cause the cylinder to lock up.
I poked around to figure out why the cylinder could strike the barrel while being closed, and found that the cylinder crane could slide back & forth inside the frame. I then noticed that the crane screw had a spring loaded pin, and that the pin was jammed too far into the screw body. I was able to free the pin by soaking it in Hoppes #9 and wiggling the pin afterwards. With the pin freed & oiled, the cylinder cannot slide back & forth and the cylinder no longer strikes the barrel. So now I’ll go fire a few hundred .38 wadcutters with W231 & FWFL to see if I can get the gun dirty enough to jam.
If I get another jam, I will be looking to see if the crane can shimmy fore-aft again. If that comes back, I’ll look into replacing the spring & pin with a hand fitted pin only.
Here’s a few pictures of the crane & screw:

01-15-2024, 12:14 AM
These troubles with a Kimber! Guess I'm not in the market for a Kimber. Hope yours works out.

justindad
01-15-2024, 01:51 AM
I have two Kimbers - one was given to me and the other I bought. Both have had jamming issues. They’re accurate and purdy, but I don’t plan on ever buying another. How on earth do you mess up a revolver?!

kerplode
01-15-2024, 03:33 AM
A jacked up Kimber huh...This is my not surprised face. If they spent a 1/10th as much on QC as they do on full-page ads, they might actually have a product worth buying. But alas, their guns have been polished turds for years now. They're just riding the name they built back in the day and all those advertising dollars.

I admire your diag and repair efforts, but let me offer a little advice: Put it back together and sell it to someone who doesn't know any better then go buy a S&W.