PDA

View Full Version : How can I deal with mold/ mildew on leather?

Martin Luber
01-06-2024, 08:39 PM
I have holsters and knife sheaths that were stored in my cellar and they smell bad to say the least. What are your thoughts on remedies here? I can't search here since the word mold is ubiquitous.

Minerat
01-06-2024, 08:46 PM
You might try the ways presented in this link.

https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/how-to-clean-mold-off-leather

Hope it works out for you. Nothing worse then stinky leather holsters.

Dusty Bannister
01-06-2024, 08:51 PM
If you can not find what you need, try looking under mildew.

deltaenterprizes
01-06-2024, 08:52 PM
You might try the ways presented in this link.

https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/how-to-clean-mold-off-leather

Hope it works out for you. Nothing worse than stinky leather holsters.

Thanks!

RickinTN
01-06-2024, 08:53 PM
First thing to remember is Mold is alive. You have to kill it. A mix of water and vinegar, or a mix of water and chlorine bleach will kill it. Pretty strong mixes. When dead it is much easier to remove. Maybe with a course washcloth after the leather dries.
Good luck,
Rick

gwpercle
01-07-2024, 07:10 PM
Tandy Leather has a video that you can view on You-Tube ... do a search on the title
" How To Remove Mold and Mildew On Leather " ... The process works and Tandy products did the trick on two of my leather holster's .
After getting them clean and dry I refinished them with Tandy's Fiebing's Pro Resist - weather proof leather finish .
After refinishing / sealing the mildew never came back and the finish made them look nice and almost new !
Gary

kungfustyle
01-07-2024, 09:33 PM
I had a filet knife and sheath in storage for a bit when I broke it out it was molded over. I cleaned it up with soap and water and then hit it with Balistal. No problems after that.

.429&H110
01-07-2024, 11:30 PM
Tandy leather!
It's what they do. Long time leather sellers,
they sold me a saddle leather that made a fine carbine sheath, with tanning directions.
I would wonder what a microwave oven, short doses until hot would do.
Then Neatsfoot.

waksupi
01-08-2024, 10:02 AM
Tandy leather!
It's what they do. Long time leather sellers,
they sold me a saddle leather that made a fine carbine sheath, with tanning directions.
I would wonder what a microwave oven, short doses until hot would do.
Then Neatsfoot.

Better use sunshine, microwave would destroy leather in a heartbeat.

Handloader109
01-08-2024, 11:36 AM
Yep, microwave will shrink and then cook the leather. Ask me how I know.... just don't even try short cycle... Air dry it won't take but a couple of days even in most humid areas.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

challenger_i
01-08-2024, 11:59 AM
Place the item in question on a cookie sheet and place on the dash of your car. I have used this trick for years to "hot oil" my work boots, gloves and gun leather for years.